Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to USA

Options
  • 30-10-2010 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I`m 49, single,male and have met a girl who I hope to have a relationship with in north carolina.
    My plan is to go over first and visit then hopefully if things go well I will try to get to live there fulltime.
    I`ve been self employed since I was 21 and have had my own limited company since then. My goal would be to start a business over there or maybe buy an existing one.
    I will have about 500k dollars to bring in with me and was wondering what are the chances of me getting in?
    Is it possible to call into the American embassy to ask someone?
    I left school at 16 after doing my inter cert took 7 subjects and got 7 honours but at that time nepotism was rife and my dad had a job lined up for me so i never did my leaving cert.
    I have applied for the green card lottery but I dont hold out much hope of being lucky enough to get one, so if anyone knows if my chances are good or if there is something else I could do to get in I would be very thankful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

You've got three options, once you know the lady a bit better and decide you really want to live over there:
    - get a fiance visa, marry in the USA within 90 days or arrival.
    - Get married anywhere, then get a spousal visa. Either of these options takes about 5-8 months to completion.
    - Get an investors visa. You'd need to buy or start a company and invest at least 500'000. Not sure how long that takes to get, but I suspect it's quicker than the above options!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 rover600

Thanks for the reply Silja....much appreciated.

Advertisement