Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The awkwardness when an Arts student talks about their "future prospects" ‎

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It's not a superiority complex, it's superiority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

In the toilets in College, someone wrote on the bog roll, "Arts degree take as many as you want" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Some of them are pretentious twats. That is why.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Why do a course that you will almost never get a job out of?

They go and study languages and English and history, so that they can sound smart in conversations. And they will have many of these conversations with each other in the dole line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I was just wondering why do other people have such a problem when it comes to people who study arts - it's like they have some superiority complex. Now I'm not studying Arts but I have no problem with Arts students at all. They are just doing what they want to do; what they're good at.

So, what is the non-Arts student's problem with Arts students? Eh?

^ I'd agree with all that, but I still got a cheap laugh from that Facebook group. Hell, a friend of mine recently got an Arts degree and last time I saw her she was joking about her degree leading to her having to sign on while looking for a job.

I doubt any non-Arts people genuinely believe that they're superior; sure there are stereotypes for all students (Arts - wasters, Law - spoilt rich kids, Science - nerds etc.) Best thing is to laugh it off and not take any of it seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,923 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ah, student snobbery. Just wait until the lot of ye get out into the real world :pac:

I think the only real issue is the perception of lots of people going into it with no idea of what they want to do. Of course, that's assuming everyone who does other 'real' courses knows what they want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Haha their degree is largely useless!! :P

But yeah there have been SEVERAL fights about this among my friends on Facebook.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

My sister joined that group and she recently got an arts degree. Says it all really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

KeithM89 wrote: »
    In the toilets in College, someone wrote on the bog roll, "Arts degree take as many as you want" :D

That sort of thing is written on every toilet roll dispenser in every college in the country. At this stage I'm kinda suppressed that some business/commerce student hasn't come up with the initiative to create a new brand of toilet roll dispensers with that particular phrase pre-printed on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

The graduate with a Science degree asks, "Why does it work?"
    The graduate with an Engineering degree asks, "How does it work?"
    The graduate with an Accounting degree asks, "How much will it cost?"
    The graduate with an Arts degree asks, "Do you want fries with that?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

That sort of thing is written on every toilet roll dispenser in every college in the country. At this stage I'm kinda suppressed that some business/commerce student hasn't come up with the initiative to create a new brand of toilet roll dispensers with that particular phrase pre-printed on it.

You should go on Dragons Den with that - youd definitely get investment :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

in 2010
    The graduate with a Science degree asks, "Do you want fries with that?
    The graduate with an Engineering degree asks, "Do you want fries with that?
    The graduate with an Accounting degree asks, "Do you want fries with that?"
    The graduate with an Arts degree asks, "Do you want fries with that?"

Fyp.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

I'm an Arts graduate...still working for Petrol station though.

No shame in what I studied really (it's coming in handy for 2011).

I know plenty engineers/lawyers/scientists/businessmen/blahblah who are also in similar position.

It's just a cheap laugh..

KeithM89 wrote: »
    You should go on Dragons Den with that - youd definitely get investment :)

Hmm you know what ... I think I will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Why do a course that you will almost never get a job out of?

They go and study languages and English and history, so that they can sound smart in conversations. And they will have many of these conversations with each other in the dole line

A friend of mine said the exact same thing to me one day and the Arts student in question agreed that she only did the degree to sound smart :rolleyes: :D

I have a few friends who are doing Arts degrees and they have no idea what they want to do afterwards, one of them even said they wouldn't mind going on then dole after college which quiet pathetic.

The Agogo wrote: »
    I'm an Arts graduate...still working for Petrol station though.

No shame in what I studied really (it's coming in handy for 2011).

I know plenty engineers/lawyers/scientists/businessmen/blahblah who are also in similar position.

It's just a cheap laugh..
    Don't worry when the recession blows over there'll be some sort of teaching post available for you ... somewhere.

Saila wrote: »
    Fyp.

The graduate with a Science degree asks, "Do you want dexterised potatotos with that?"
    The graduate with an Engineering degree asks, "Where do you want your fries?
    The graduate with an Accounting degree asks, "How many fries can I have?"
    The graduate with an Arts degree asks, "Fries are profoundly enigmatic, aren't they?"

Fixed YOUR post..

Don't worry when the recession blows over there'll be some sort of teaching post available for you ... somewhere.

Well funnily enough I got a teaching post in Poland come January

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Over the past 48 hours a phenomena has struck the facebook community. It is a group dedicated to the following "The awkwardness when an Arts student talks about their "future prospects" " and already has 8000 members.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-awkwardness-when-an-Arts-student-talks-about-their-future-prospects/101898873214351?v=wall#!/pages/The-awkwardness-when-an-Arts-student-talks-about-their-future-prospects/101898873214351

Now I'm not affiliated at all with the creator of the group nor do I wish to promote it, I was just wondering why do other people have such a problem when it comes to people who study arts - it's like they have some superiority complex. Now I'm not studying Arts but I have no problem with Arts students at all. They are just doing what they want to do; what they're good at.

So, what is the non-Arts student's problem with Arts students? Eh?

It's called old-fashioned slagging...
    i slagged my friend for doing an arts degree all last year when I was doing an arts degree myself sure! Difference was that he couldn't take it and I could! I transferred now but he still gets d slagging! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭beccabeccabecca

I'm an Arts student. I joined the group :p.

I do hate the generalisation that people doing Arts are stupid wasters living off daddy's money who have no idea what they want to do in their lives. I got 565 points in the LC. I've known I wanted to teach since I was around eight, and more specifically that I wanted to teach languages at second level since I was fourteen. Like pretty much every student out there, I procrastinate like a champion but I still put in the work to keep my grades high. And there are several others just like me...but still everyone associates Arts with dossers :rolleyes:.

I know several Commerce, Law and Science students who would fit the generalisation applied to Arts students, yet they escape ridcule because their course is "hard" and "valid". Think Arts is easy? Get back to me when you've written a two thousand word essay in French discussing naturalist fiction and its impact on literary movements or memorised the timeline of Ancient Rome from its origins to its eventual downfall.

I'm an Arts student. I joined the group :p.

I do hate the generalisation that people doing Arts are stupid wasters living off daddy's money who have no idea what they want to do in their lives. I got 565 points in the LC. I've known I wanted to teach since I was around eight, and more specifically that I wanted to teach languages at second level since I was fourteen. Like pretty much every student out there, I procrastinate like a champion but I still put in the work to keep my grades high. And there are several others just like me...but still everyone associates Arts with dossers :rolleyes:.

I know several Commerce, Law and Science students who would fit the generalisation applied to Arts students, yet they escape ridcule because their course is "hard" and "valid". Think Arts is easy? Get back to me when you've written a two thousand word essay in French discussing naturalist fiction and its impact on literary movements or memorised the timeline of Ancient Rome from its origins to its eventual downfall.

In fairness now it doesn't take that long to write 1000 words. I have to do a couple of 1000 word lab reports every week and it doesn't take a heck of a lot of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Ah just a bit'a random banter really. Quite sure most people don't resent Arts Students...

I was going to drop out of Medicine and do English Studies at one point, we're all mates here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

I back up what becca x3 said, I did arts but I was in no way an "arts student" in so far as the associations which go along with that. I don't drink, I worked many, many jobs to put myself through college, I got myself good grades and now I'm doing postgrad research. Once I finish this I have at least one lucrative job offer for next year, and interviewing for two more in November.

Having said all that, I joined the group too :D
    In fairness now it doesn't take that long to write 1000 words. I have to do a couple of 1000 word lab reports every week and it doesn't take a heck of a lot of time.

A report is very different from an essay. I've knocked out 3,000-word reports in an afternoon before, as part of my research. When writing my thesis though, I can pain over a 100-word section for ages. Reports simply need to be typed, essays need to be written.

Do your lab reports have to be written in another language?

Also, that's an example of one of the many assignments an Arts student could have. Not the only one they would ever have.

An average week of assignments for me would be two translations (one in Spanish, one in French), grammar worksheets for both languages, written expression assignments for both, language lab preparation and then general study. I also do Creative Writing (BA Connect), so I'll normally have two assignments per week from that.

I'm not trying to say "OMG Arts is sooooooooo much more difficult than anything!", but it does have a decent work load.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Ghost Estate

Saila wrote: »
    Fyp.

Pfft. most of them don't even have fries to give

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

>Comparing Law/Science to Arts.

I'm in first year law and already have 10,000 words to hand in in 3 weeks time, that's 10,000 words where there's not many hard facts to look at and you have to think rather than regurgitate. That's going to be about 20% of the work I have to do, for this semester alone. The workload gets heavier after Christmas for semester 2. I know a good few science students in practically the same boat.

Don't know any arts students that are under any particular pressure, bar the odd maths/celtic civ. test/assignment. And I have friends in 1st/2nd year, in more than one uni!

Not saying my course is the hardest or anything, but arts is certainly a little easier than lots of other courses.

After the budget

The graduate with a Science degree asks, "How do we prove fries even existed?"
    The graduate with an Engineering degree asks, "How do we make fries out of nothing?"
    The graduate with an Accounting degree asks, "When will we be able to afford fries again?"
    The graduate with an Arts degree asks, "What are these fries things you speak of?"

I'm in first year law and already have 10,000 words to hand in in 3 weeks time, that's 10,000 words where there's not many hard facts to look at and you have to think rather than regurgitate.QUOTE]

Getting the impression here that you think Arts students can just regurgiate stuff rather than think about assignments? Yup, you can...and fail for your troubles. If you want a good grade, you're going to have to put the work in no matter what course you do.

I can't speak for other Arts subjects, but all I know is that for my two subjects I have written work or reading to get through every night with at least one big assignment every two weeks. There are students in my class who don't do any of the assigned homework because it's not taken up, and hand in half of the big assignments, then go around bragging about how little work they have. They're also the ones barely clinging to the forty percent pass mark.

• Advertisement

arts students smoke weed and shag lesbians for 3 years and for their final year they hand up an essay about how doing so changed their life and they get the degree.

Advertisement