Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The awkwardness when an Arts student talks about their "future prospects" ‎

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Ah sure its all a good laugh. I did my arts degree and I still dont know what i wanna do!

In fairness my first essay (archaeology) was 'Upper Paleolithic Art is best interpreted in terms of Shamanic trances'. Beat that shizzle!

Mine was "The liability of Internet Service Providers for defamatory content published on the Internet"

A real page turner

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

neaideabh wrote: »
    Some people just can't take a joke!!

I can. I was replying to someone else. The video posted earlier is brilliant.:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Tbh, the awkwardness when any student in this country talks about their future prospects.

Boat or plane fellas, take yer pick as the country is completely ****ed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It is of course just a laugh and there is quite a bit of truth to it - an arts degree on its own can be pretty useless... if you want to get a job out of it. Some people just study it though for learning's sake or as a validation of their ability, and there's nothing wrong with that. If you've a passion for, say, English and Politics, it would be a shame not to study these subjects... and then you can do something more practical at postgrad level. Also, a BA might not get you a specific job, but some organisations only hire people with a degree, e.g. Google, the civil service. It's more that certain arts subjects are useless rather than arts degrees. None of the subjects that can be taught at second level are useless (well they wouldn't be if there were teaching posts), languages certainly aren't useless, and there are other practical subjects that can be done via arts, e.g. Computer Science, Maths, Math. Physics, archaeology. And then of course there's a career in academia. A lot of the practical subjects though are for fields where there are little to no jobs.
    They go and study languages and English and history, so that they can sound smart in conversations.
    Do "they"?
    >Comparing Law/Science to Arts.

I'm in first year law and already have 10,000 words to hand in in 3 weeks time, that's 10,000 words where there's not many hard facts to look at and you have to think rather than regurgitate. That's going to be about 20% of the work I have to do, for this semester alone. The workload gets heavier after Christmas for semester 2. I know a good few science students in practically the same boat.

Don't know any arts students that are under any particular pressure, bar the odd maths/celtic civ. test/assignment. And I have friends in 1st/2nd year, in more than one uni!

Not saying my course is the hardest or anything, but arts is certainly a little easier than lots of other courses.
    Both my brothers did law - they said it was a complete doss. And it appeared to be the case in terms of hours anyway - they were living at home so I could see how few class hours they had. Sure there was a lot of assignments, but there's a hell of a lot of assignments for arts too. I remember being snowed under with deadlines for my arts degree. It seem to me that the two are about the same in terms of workload. The reason leaving cert points are so much higher for law is there are way less places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

The graduate with a Science degree asks:
    "What biochemistry would be involved in the digestion of these fries?"

The graduate with an Engineering degree asks:
    "What could I build to design that would increase the speed in which these fries are manufactured?"

The graduate with an Accounting degree asks:
    "How could I lower production costs?"

The graduate with an Arts degree:
    Spits in fries of student's slagging them.

(I'm not an arts student btw.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Dudess wrote: »

Both my brothers did law - they said it was a complete doss. And it appeared to be the case in terms of hours anyway - they were living at home so I could see how few class hours they had. Sure there was a lot of assignments, but there's a hell of a lot of assignments for arts too. I remember being snowed under with deadlines for my arts degree. It seem to me that the two are about the same in terms of workload. The reason leaving cert points are so much higher for law is there are way less places.

This is true, I did an LLB after my BA. There was no difference in the workload. I actually found the IT part of my BA tougher, but thats just down to abilities I suppose

I actually think law in college is pretty easy if you like reading and analysis - you can really immerse yourself in it but the concepts are easy to understand, it's just that there's a lot of them

Few people really know what they want right out of school, arts is great for such people because it's so broad. You can get into a lot of other courses out of it and employers often respect that because they dont see you as having a blinkered education

In short, Arts, like most things in life (including all other degrees), is completely what you make of it

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Wonder how all the anti-arts people judge me then as a Law and Arts (History) BCL student?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ValJester

Dudess wrote: »

I'm in Arts. The impression I get of law from friends and relatives who have and are studying it is that it's the same as Arts, by which it's a massive amount of work if you want to do well and you can pass by doing the minimum.

That said, I don't like the look of the bar exams.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

ValJester wrote: »
    I'm in Arts. The impression I get of law from friends and relatives who have and are studying it is that it's the same as Arts, by which it's a massive amount of work if you want to do well and you can pass by doing the minimum.

That said, I don't like the look of the bar exams.

I'm studying Law and History (see my post above :P) and atm the moment I'd say Law has a slightly bigger workload for me study and assignment wise although history isn't much lower. Last year (1st year) I defo had more history assignments though but needed to get 60 in law to get into second year so needed to work hard on that!

All in all I'd say as a law and arts student the work load is about even,

I'm still gonna slag all the arts students tho! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'd say the workload for the post degree stuff for law is quite full-on all right, but the undergrad itself seems pretty manageable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭BarryDoodles

Mine was "The liability of Internet Service Providers for defamatory content published on the Internet"

A real page turner

"Critically analyse the constitutional prohibition of retroactive penal legislation"

MCRxxbaby :p S'up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

I dropped out of college because i found that i was far too smart and cool to hang out with any of the students and that i was much more intelligent than any of the lecturers.
    Academia will come to rue the day that i decided to deprive it of my vast talent.
    Oh, yes; rue the day...
    Mark my words...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭BarryDoodles

on the subject of free education for people 'reading' hitory et al; http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/event.php?eid=161721010528808

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I did a degree that was both science and arts. An interesting course and a job at the end = win.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Spacedog wrote: »
    I pride myself of my ignorance of History, Art, Philosophy, Literature, Geography, Music, Film, and Psychology, because they have no value to my job, and are boring and stupid.

They may be boring and stupid, but you sound boring and ignorant. I imagine you must be a great conversationalist...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

Spacedog wrote: »
    The worst kind of arts students are the ones with years experience in a sucessful career, and go back to study their intrest in History in their spare time on evening and weekends.

Hear, hear! What sort of arsehole would want to better their knowledge on a subject that interests them and go on to gain recognition (even if it is an arts degree) of their time spent studying the subject? Dickheads!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Wolf Club wrote: »
    Hear, hear! What sort of arsehole would want to better their knowledge on a subject that interests them and go on to gain recognition (even if it is an arts degree) of their time spent studying the subject? Dickheads!

In fairness, I think Spacedog is against any form of intellectual endeavour or curiousity for its own sake. Which is pretty sad I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Ive got a couple of friends who have Arts degrees, both on the dol..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I wouldn't exactly use hours in class per week as a guide for how tough a course is. I'm doing post grad architecture. I spend 5 hours a week in lectures, and well over 70 hours doing coursework at home.

As far as useless degrees go, England beats Ireland hands down. I knew a girl in third year of media studies, who didn't know whether the Daily Mail was conservative or liberal.

Advertisement