Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LGBT socs in different colleges

Options
  • 30-10-2010 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

It's the time of year where I need to start thinking about the CAO. While I'm not stupid enough to pick my college based on their scenes, I'd like to know a little about what the clubs and socs are like before I choose. I don't know anyone who has joined their LGBT soc so I'd like to ask people what it was like where they went/go. And I'm mainly asking about places in Dublin but I wouldn't mind hearing about other places too

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I went to UCD, and was part of the society there from about third year onwards. They are quite active, usually 2 coffee mornings and a night out (usually Prhomo or the George) every week.

Facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Interested in this myself, anyone know anything about the Trinity one? In an ideal world thats where my first choice course would be but (although this sounds a bit silly) would be swayed if the entire gay thing was crap there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I'm not in it, but the one in DCU is very lively. They always seem to be doing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I'm not in it, but the one in DCU is very lively. They always seem to be doing something.

Deadly, DCU is my first choice this week :)
    Interested in this myself, anyone know anything about the Trinity one? In an ideal world thats where my first choice course would be but (although this sounds a bit silly) would be swayed if the entire gay thing was crap there.

I'm not trying to sound condescending, but you probably won't feel as strongly in 6th year. I think most people are just hoping to get in and not to fail the LC.
    But I've heard Trinity's is the best. Don't know how true that is. I think I heard they're the biggest anyway.

Its more that it would be my first chance to actually meet other gay people so if it was terrible it would put a bit of a spanner in the works for me :P I'd be stuck with all straight friends again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Ah no, I know what you mean :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The one in UL is active enough...they have an annual Queerbash where they invite anyone who wants to come along to check out the scene for all intents and purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I was in TCD LGBT for 3 years, two of which were spent on the committee. Some great people in there and lots of fun events and general hanging out.

Do not let LGBT sway your choice. You WILL have regrets about your course at some point, and you don't want to realize that you're only there because you want to make some gay friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'd agree with snappiet here - I would heavily caution against anyone choosing a college based upon the reputation of it's LGBT social - You could get into the college and hate the LGBT soc or you could miss out on an opportunity to perhaps study where there is no LGBT soc

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

don't forget as well that LGBT socs are not the entire college LGBT population - You will always meet other LGBT people who do not necessarily want to be in the LGBT

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Well I'm not going to like vastly change my decision and move to Galway (sorry Galway :P) or something just because their LGBT society was amazing. I'm just really bad at knowing when someone is gay, and tbh I'd be really disappointed if the LGBT society was bad in the place I had chosen. The course I want to take is really hard and I don't want to have to deal with that plus having to find other gay people by myself or having to deal with a vast amount of coming out to straight friends. I probably sound really dumb but still :P

No, it's not dumb - you want to get to know other gay people on a social basis - That's fine and completely understandable - the LGBT soc can give you that opportunity but there are other opportunities so don't be disappointed because the LGBT is ****e or non existent - for example don't rule a college because there is no LGBT

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

All I will say is that over the course of 4 years, your personality will vastly change, and you may not be so keen on the LGBT soc. You don't want to have to face the realisation that the reason you're in that college is no longer valid.

I was never really dying to be in an LGBT, but I joined in first year, had fun so got elected to commiteee in second year, and to executive commiteee in third year. Then I went off it completely and didn't even join the society in fourth year. Just bear in mind that 4 years is a long time, and at the age of 18-21 a lot can change about your personality.

May I add that nobody is really going to check that you're a student of X university, so if you were to go along to the TCD events despite being a UCD student, that wouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

The quality of any Soc can vary drastically from year to year. I'm involved in the LGBT Soc in DCU. Last year it was very disappointing, very few events, very little enthusiasm.
    This year it's much improved and everyone on the committee is passionate about making it better than last year.
    Unfortunately, it'll only continue to be a good society if next year's committee are as enthusiastic about it too.

Outside of socs, is it easy to meet other people who are gay? Or is it the same situation as in secondary school where you sort of think someone is gay but it is never spoken of?

Also, are there certain courses you just won't find other lesbian/gay people, out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

Outside of socs, is it easy to meet other people who are gay? Or is it the same situation as in secondary school where you sort of think someone is gay but it is never spoken of?

People tend to be much more open about their sexuality in college. Personally I've been open about it from day 1, but you can rarely be sure someone is gay unless you ask them (which people do)!
    Also, are there certain courses you just won't find other lesbian/gay people, out of interest?

I don't think so. I don't think there's any walk of life where you won't find lgbt people, nor is there any course. Course choice and sexuality aren't linked!

Yes people are much more openly gay in college - no nothing is a specifically non LGBT course - stereotypes don't hold at all

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

According to the GMIT SU website there's one but I've seen and heard very little. =(

According to the GMIT SU website there's one but I've seen and heard very little. =(
    best thing to do is drop in and ask the SU then

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭manna

Maynooth has a fairly large and pretty active LGBT society, something I was a bit surprised about when I got there, considering it's right on the doorstep of a seminary.

They hold weekly coffee meetings, as well as regular talks and gatherings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Creadak

Hey, DCULBGT's Secretary here :)

Yeah, last year was a bit awful...

This year though we've seen more members and we're organising more and more events, becoming seen more and more around campus. Last week we had a very successful hollywood/drag ball with the media society here in DCU. But enough shameless plugging. :)

It depends on the college and the committee how a particular LGBT soc goes, some years will obviously be better than others, and I'd urge you not to make your choice based on LBGT soc. Tbh, I didn't even know LGBT soc's existed till I got to college, luckily I got an excellent cource and an excellent LGBT soc.

Good luck with the CAO and the Leaving Cert :)

Advertisement