Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSE RIFLE STOCK'S

Options
  • 30-10-2010 2:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭

I have to thank Edi for the wonderful job he did customizing a tactical green stock to fit my Remington .308 VTR. Pic's to come!! ;)

To expand my story.
    I am left eye dominant and have been shooting from the left shoulder from the first time I bought a firearm back in the late 90's.
    I never had the advantage of having a nice raised cheek piece on any of my stalking rifles.

Yesterday Friday, I took the relatively long Journey down to marina House Lower O'Connell street Kinsale to meet the maestro Edi Graef.

It was late in the evening by the time I arrived in kinsale, as the wet weather and the cork Friday evening Traffic was busy.
    However, upon arriving in Edi's shop he got down to business straight away.
    Firstly he removed the old Remington VTR Stock off, Then he got my action and dropped it into the stock to take measurements for a bit of carbon fibre bedding.

Once the measurements were taken, the barrel was taped to ensure free floating would be achieved, and the action was painted with a secret remedy to stop the carbon fibre sticking to it.

The rifle was put into the oven to drive out any moisture for a few moments 50degC.
    The Carbon fibre resin was filled into the tang and mounting locations.

After the above was done, the rifle was taken out of the oven and carefully inserted into the action, & action and rifle were put back into the oven to anneal or cure.

This signalled time to go for grub. (my favourite topic ;) )
    So we got a spot of dinner whilst the Rifle compound was hardening.
    After ~1.5hrs we took out a test specimen we had left in the oven to check how hard it was.

As the test specimen was hard, we could then remove the rifle and trim the excess.

The total fitting & Bedding took ~3 hours but considering we got dinner in between the time flew by.

I arrived home late yesterday (Friday evening) and I have had not time to try her out yet as I have to work all weekend.
    However, If I do say so myself, the Rifle looks like a real tactical machine now.

I'm without my laptop at the mo, so I will try and post some pics of her soon in the configuration!

And I am proudly still wearing the PSE Composites baseball cap that I was given with my Rifle ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I had to e-mail the pic from my phone to the PC, Quality may not be great of pic, however you should see my old and new stock!
    The new stock is a nicer shade of green and the raised cheek is excellant for a left eyed shooter like me!!

The stock come in @ 750grams

attachment.php?attachmentid=133051&d=1288458760

I hope to try her out on a wed afternoon weather permitting!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Much better looking stock to be sure

I've held a regular one and they seem a fine piece of craftsmanship.

Well wear tack, hope it works out for you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Best of luck with it Tack.

Its funny how with a new stock you have to relearn your hold/grip. As with me and the Savage stock. I adapted to make it work for me. When i got the new stock although it fitted 100times better it felt "odd" for the first week until i broke the bad habits of my old stock.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

Looks way better the new stock Tackle.
    Good luck with it.

ezridax wrote: »
    Best of luck with it Tack.

Its funny how with a new stock you have to relearn your hold/grip. As with me and the Savage stock. I adapted to make it work for me. When i got the new stock although it fitted 100times better it felt "odd" for the first week until i broke the bad habits of my old stock.

It is a strange feeling to have the cheek so comfortable on a hunting rifle for me, and yet still look Normal.

I'm glad Edi accepted my challenge as I had tried tens if not hundreds of manufacturers to make me a stock "at a price I could afford"

It goes up lovely to the shoulder.
    The next project may be a tactical bolt knob.
    I think it would look the bees knees with one.(in black)

I like the chunky look to it, and I have a rifle that is as whacky as I am now lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Tac, thanks for the kind words and was great finally meeting you.
    Hope you'll enjoy the stock, at least you know it's a one off. Always better to get something right from the start.
    Now fire a few rounds, that rifle is just too new....
    edi

ejg wrote: »
    Tac, thanks for the kind words and was great finally meeting you.
    Hope you'll enjoy the stock, at least you know it's a one off. Always better to get something right from the start.
    Now fire a few rounds, that rifle is just too new....
    edi

Edi, I treat my rifles like my children :D

I'll bring her for a road test wed, I might try for a deer after I have her re-zero'd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

That stock looks the business. Well wear. I hope it shoots as good as it looks for you.

Edi looks happy out there in that pic.
    Well done edi for rising to the challenge of making a stock to fit tack's unusual requirement:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Nicely done edi and well wear tack!
    By the looks of it lately any person getting a custom stock are choosing pse!

Made in Ireland. Albeit with a German accent. I only buy outside of Ireland when I feel I have no other choice. I was also well impressed with the Benchrest style stocks Edi makes. One would look well on my .223! And I'll be considering a roedale mod after comparing the size and weight of them to my Reflex mod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Tempted to rebuild my rifle to a very lightweight mountain stalker when I have it rebarrelled. Will probably go with a Roedale mod then over my T8, which I find very heavy.

Tempted to rebuild my rifle to a very lightweight mountain stalker when I have it rebarrelled. Will probably go with a Roedale mod then over my T8, which I find very heavy.
    I would not call my reflex heavy, but the Roedale is very light in comparison and half as cumbersome. The fact that it comes apart for cleaning so easy is a joy. The threading is fine so it has the feel of a bearing as it screws together. The stainless steel would be my choice, although they come in aluminum also. They are ~ 1/3 in diametre smaller than a reflex or a T8. It would leave my stalking rifle very manageable in thick undergrowth. I can't wait to try out my Rifle in it's new configuration. The only peice that will be orig soon will be the Action! New trig,stock mod'ed barrel

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ianoo

well ware on the new stock tack ... i have a pse stock on my stalking rifle and find it a great piece of kit ,you wont be disapionted with it :D:D

ian

ianoo wrote: »
    well ware on the new stock tack ... i have a pse stock on my stalking rifle and find it a great piece of kit ,you wont be disapionted with it :D:D

ian

I won't be. i've used everything from a Swedish Mauser to a Remmy 700 and a few others a long the way as stalking rifles.

All I ever wanted was a comfortable stock that would suit a left eye dominant shooter.

Now I have one!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

Good luck with that stock - looks the business and from seeing edi's stuff and how it's made I doubt you'll ever have a problem.

I have a roedale mod that I got from edi too - that T8 was a ridiculous size when you compare them - easy to strip too with the help of a pair of baby boas ;)
    Performance wise you can't fault it - I must compare the too using the iphone and get some figures at different ranges just for interests sake.

thelurcher wrote: »
    Good luck with that stock - looks the business and from seeing edi's stuff and how it's made I doubt you'll ever have a problem.

I have a roedale mod that I got from edi too - that T8 was a ridiculous size when you compare them - easy to strip too with the help of a pair of baby boas ;)
    Performance wise you can't fault it - I must compare the too using the iphone and get some figures at different ranges just for interests sake.

I have to say, I'd swap both of my mods for a Roedale in the morning!

http://site.pse-composites.com/contact-information.html

Waiting for the rain to die down before I take her out, whilst I was waiting I put a bit of self adhering camo tape on the scope!
    attachment.php?attachmentid=133517&d=1288791404

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I saw your stock in the early stages of production. Very nice job I must say.
    Isn't it a cool thing to have a custom stock maker that handy? And not just any old stocks either proper high quality and lightweight stocks as well.

There is a type of stippling on the fore-end and on the hand grip to add a firm grip in the wettest conditions (Designed and tested in Ireland ;) )
    attachment.php?attachmentid=133522&d=1288792855

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

There is a type of stippling on the fore-end and on the hand grip to add a firm grip in the wettest conditions (Designed and tested in Ireland ;) )
    attachment.php?attachmentid=133522&d=1288792855

So why are you waiting for the rain to stop?

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I saw your stock in the early stages of production. Very nice job I must say.
    Isn't it a cool thing to have a custom stock maker that handy? And not just any old stocks either proper high quality and lightweight stocks as well.

I will after Christmas get Edi to make a Tactical stock for my other Remington too.

The fact I am helping an Irish Business where the profits go back into the local community appeals to me also.

I do try to shop local as often as I can, although it is sometimes hard as prices and availability are restricted, I gave Edi a 3.5 week heads up and he had my rifle bedded in his stock while I waited.

That is a service so badly needed in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Sandy22 wrote: »

He needs a coat of that stippling for his face. :p

Sandy22 wrote: »

Because I do not want to zero when I am being dinged with rain on the head.
    :D:D

And I don't want the paper to turn to sh*te.
    I generally don't go hunting in the rain, however if it starts raining I want all my equipment to still work ;)

Rifle zero consisted on one click right. which I attribute to the wind as there was none today, however there was wind the last day i zero'd.

The rain of mist is consistant all day.
    I got quite wet after 15mins zero'ing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

thelurcher wrote: »

Would be very intersted in your opinions of the roedale compared to the t8. I have a t8 and spent most yesterday evening drooling over the roedale website. The sheer weight of it is enough to peruade me, plus with my t8 coming down pretty much as far as my forend using a bipod becomes difficult unless I hunt with the legs down allowing a shot off the sticks without the pod touching the can !! What sort of price was the roedale....?

tfox wrote: »
    Would be very intersted in your opinions of the roedale compared to the t8. I have a t8 and spent most yesterday evening drooling over the roedale website. The sheer weight of it is enough to peruade me, plus with my t8 coming down pretty much as far as my forend using a bipod becomes difficult unless I hunt with the legs down allowing a shot off the sticks without the pod touching the can !! What sort of price was the roedale....?

You would want to PM Edi, there are several models available, I think €300ish, but I'm not sure whether that was for stainless,aluminium or stainless anadoized black

Advertisement