Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To buy Fallout NV on PC or Xbox?

Options
  • 30-10-2010 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Since there is no multiplayer on fallout i think im going to buy it on PC
    what do you think?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PC, shouldn't even be a question about it. Better looking, better cosntrols, mods and all for a cheaper rpice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

you'll have way more tweak / Control options on pc...if you have the recommended spec then id go PC no question..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I would recommend it on the PC just for the mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

From what happened with Oblivion and Fallout 3, there is mroe room to modify the .ini files on PC to smooth out the numerous bugs in the game. Plus it doesnt take a beast of a PC to run it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Pc :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Fallout 3 was the first game I bought when i got my Xbox. I gave up on it as it just wasn't much fun playing it that way. Got the GOTY edition for PC instead and it was a much better experience. Went with PC again for New Vegas and it was only €28.53.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Check Eurogamer for a recent article on New Vegas on the three platforms.
    As its the same engine that was used for Fallout 3, it doesnt appear to be ageing well and is very ugly in places on the consoles.
    If you have the PC for it, get it on that. You'll have the higher resolution, and plenty of textures mods in due course. Better controls too since the PC is the games true home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I'm playing on PC, it looks a lot better and loads a lot faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Magaa wrote: »
    Since there is no multiplayer on fallout i think im going to buy it on PC
    what do you think?

Eh even if there was multiplayer, that'd be even more of a reason to get it on PC.

Only reason not to is if your PC can't run the game well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Given my history with Fallout 3 on both 360 and PC, I'm actually inclined to go 360.

Why? Fallout 3 crashes heavily a lot more on PC, I end up using my 360 controller anyway since the KB/M controls aren't intuitive, and now that this instalment uses Steamworks for achievements and not GFWL anymore, I'll be getting it for my console.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

it never once crashed on my pc in over 100 hours of gametime

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Given my history with Fallout 3 on both 360 and PC, I'm actually inclined to go 360.

Why? Fallout 3 crashes heavily a lot more on PC, I end up using my 360 controller anyway since the KB/M controls aren't intuitive, and now that this instalment uses Steamworks for achievements and not GFWL anymore, I'll be getting it for my console.

Xbox Fallout 3: Around 30 crashes in 40 hours according to my friend
    PC Fallout 3: Around 3 crashes in 30 hours according to me.

Wait, you want GFWL?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Im playing away on the ps3 and loving it, obviously the PC (If yours can handle it) will be more stable and you can pump out better graphics/mods etc

Still... playing it on the xbox will have its advantages. Playing in comfort on my big **** ass TV with surround sound is great. Only had one crash in 20 hours played atm, so its not too bad. Not sure what its like on the 360 tho

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Xbox Fallout 3: Around 30 crashes in 40 hours according to my friend
    PC Fallout 3: Around 3 crashes in 30 hours according to me.

Practically the opposite for me - PC: 30 crashes in 40 hours
    Xbox: 10 crashes in 100+ hours.
    Wait, you want GFWL?

I prefer Gamerscore to Steam achievements. I have a couple other games on Steam which annoyingly use the Steam achievements rather than the GFWL ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

That d9d fix and run as admin fixed any minor issues i had with it on PC>

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Fallout 3 never crashed once in game on me on the PC. However it kept crashing ever time I quit the game which was no biggey, but that was fixed in one of the patches came out.

So far New Vegas on PC hasn't crashed once in about 7 hours of playing, although I notice alot of minor bugs and stuff, more so than Fallout 3. Performance is alot lower than Fallout 3 as well.

I can see the point that people who are into Gamerscores would prefer it to use GFWL as it tiers in with there Xbox Live account to but I prefer Steam as its much responsive than the rather clunky GFLW interface, which never seems to patch games right or install DLC properly. Also gamerscores do not interest me so its abit of a no brainer..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

I can never understand people's obsession with achievements , just makes no sense to me.

I'll always remember the guy who kept kicking me from the room he was hosting after one match everytime in Street Fighter 4, he was the only one on at the time with a good connection to me. I sent him a message wondering wtf his problem was and he tells me "I'm looking to get the 'Hosted bla bla amount of games' achievement" or some such bollocks.

I couldnt understand it at all. Makes no sense, totally lost it at the guy "JUST PLAY THE FKING GAME!! These achievements are totally fking meaningless. EVEN MORE SO BY THE WAY YOUR GOING ABOUT GETTING IT"

The achievements and stats crap thats been a part of gaming for the past 6 years or so now is one of the worst things to happen to gaming imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 gj777

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-fallout-new-vegas-face-off

I find those 'digital foundary' articles useful for deciding which platform to go for on certain games. It's purely tech orientated, but worth a glance if your not that way inclined too much.

They say the performance is better on PC and you have the possibility of tweaking it on PC whereas not so on X360.

Personally I had F3 on X360 and rarely had trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Got it for the PC, and bought it for the 360

Already put about 8 hours into the PC version, but because I work at a desk...coming home and sitting at a PC isnt what I look forward to.

So for vegging out on the couch, feet in the air, kitchen beside me for tea and crisps, 360 is my perferred option :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Polar101

Xbox gets the exclusive DLC.. at least until it stops being exclusive. :)

I had Oblivion on the PC, and Fallout3 on PS3. I preferred the console version, just because I sit in front of the PC at work and don't necessarily want to repeat it when I get home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Polar101 wrote: »
    Xbox gets the exclusive DLC.. at least until it stops being exclusive. :)

I had Oblivion on the PC, and Fallout3 on PS3. I preferred the console version, just because I sit in front of the PC at work and don't necessarily want to repeat it when I get home.
    Same here.

I used to only care about PC games but now I just find xbox or ps3 is just less hassle.
    Yes, I know you get better controls, visuals, etc on the PC but for just been able to come home and instantly pick up and play, you can't beat a console.

Advertisement