Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats Up with Main Street

• 30-10-2010 10:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,000 ✭✭✭✭

I have been watching main street for the past year and it seems to be a grim state of affairs. I am not from Tullamore and whilst i know this street and surrounding developments are reasonably new, i wonder why such a new street is called main street?

Its a depressing state of affairs, recently i see some one finally repaired Ireland's largest pot hole (a raised section of the road which had collapsed over a year ago), it was so bad, i noticed even the Gardai avoided it by driving up on the path. Then there are the businesses or should i say lack of them with so many closed down. I know we are in recession but the rate of business closures on this street is shocking. I also see the Hotel seems to have changed management companies, gone from being a Days Hotel to the Central Hotel, with all its new signage, one would have thought a lick of paint might not have gone a miss. KFC remains a mystery to me, i have rarely if ever seen anyone in it, seems the only business thriving is Lidl, even most of the office spaces are empty.

I decided start a thread after seeing the most disgraceful display of car clamping, two cars an Audi and Volvo 4X4 clamped last Wednesday, the street was pretty much deserted and i noticed the family with young children from the 4x4 struggling. Business is bad enough on this street without this carry on. In the past i have also seen this clamping shower photographing number plates on this street which i found to be questionable at best. Seems to me businesses on this street are being given a very raw deal and given the state of trading, surely free parking should be considered.

So, my question, am i missing something, should this street be renamed "Tumbleweed Avenue"

Its a real shame as this area is quite new, leading on to an excellent public park.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

My beauty therapist is on that street, and parking is free on main street for an hour. I guess they can't do complete free parking because everybody in the town would be parking there for the day, like they did at the hospital, and then people who would be going into the businesses on main street would definately avoid it as there wouldn't be anywhere to park.

I have no sympathy for anybody getting clamped on main street, if they're too mean to put a euro on the car if theyre going to be more than an hour. Its hard enough to park there at the best of times without people just using it as free all day parking.

As far as I know, that street is the property of Tom McNamara, and nothing to do with the council, which is why those clampers can just patrol that one street/lidls carpark.

I think part of the reason it does nothing is because it leads to nowhere. Whats at the end of it? The halting site? The train station?

Yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Isnt the whole multi storey carpark free all day now too? So yeah, dont have much sympathy for anyone who gets clamped there, 1hr free is more than enough for the average person shopping on that street.
    The only thing i have an issue with is the lack of signage telling people that parking is free for the first hour and that the multi storey is now free, but there are plenty of signs displaying the parking fees, so no excuses for getting clamped.

With regards to the big pothole, its great that they have fixed it at last, but why didnt they get rid of the raised area completely?! Its pointless, serves no purpose at all, except for people to park on and hold up the whole street! :mad:

I only use the street for Xtravision, Dominos and the chemist the odd time, and an exit route from the Bridge centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,000 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Cherrycola wrote: »
    Isnt the whole multi storey carpark free all day now too? So yeah, dont have much sympathy for anyone who gets clamped there, 1hr free is more than enough for the average person shopping on that street.
    The only thing i have an issue with is the lack of signage telling people that parking is free for the first hour and that the multi storey is now free, but there are plenty of signs displaying the parking fees, so no excuses for getting clamped.

With regards to the big pothole, its great that they have fixed it at last, but why didnt they get rid of the raised area completely?! Its pointless, serves no purpose at all, except for people to park on and hold up the whole street! :mad:

I only use the street for Xtravision, Dominos and the chemist the odd time, and an exit route from the Bridge centre.

O, i did not know the multi story car park was free? mus check this out. Agreed re the raised section, a bizzare aproach to road laying but i suspect the cheapest option for repair was taken, looking at it yesterday i suspect it will collapse by or after christmas.

I heard through the grapevine another restuarant on this street is closing, my initial interest was why are so many businesses failing on this street? the parking issue was raised as i can not see the point of clamping on a business street that is struggling. I doubt anyone would park their car on this street unless they were doing business on it. Just a thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

To be honest, before they brought in the parking charges and clampers, you couldnt get a space on that street for love or money, i dont know who was parking there all day, but people definitely were.
    I for one dont have an issue with paid parking if it means i can actually get a space in the area i need to park. And i find im more inclined to actually shop in the town centre now because i know i have a good chance to get a space. Previous to that i wouldnt bother, as driving around and around looking for parking is headwrecking. And while some would suggest you park in the many carparks way outside town and walk in, this is not a viable option for a lot of people, especially with small children, shopping bags and irish weather! I did it for years before i could drive, and its not something i would ever go back to!

I would love more flexible options where charges are concerned though, cos i dont always need 30mins, but still have to pay 50c for what might be a 10min stay.
    And i wish Dunnes/Bridge Centre would offer at least a 30min/50c parking option, now that they dont refund the parking charges anymore. €1 is pretty steep for a minimum parking charge, especially if its a quick visit to the chemist or post office. But the free parking after 5pm and all day sundays is a step in the right direction. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

I have no problem paying the cheap parking rates in tullamore!
    I live in galway where parking is €2.80 per hour with a maximum parking time of 2hrs and even at that you'd be lucky to get parked within a 10min walk of where you're going!!!

seriously, there is no excuse for someone not throwing €0.50 in machine to get a ticket when there's more than enough signage around to inform people of this

If there were no clampers can you imagine what the street would be like?
    the fee is there so that only people wishing to use the local facilities actuall use them (ie. shoppers for shopping!)

otherwise the street would be full for the whole day of (for one example) local workers availing of free parking within close proximity of their workplaces

If someone doesn't want to pay for parking, don't park there!
    It's an insult to customers who do pay

In terms of why so many places have closed down on main street, I'd say it is a result of the recession, whether direct or indirect.

Places like jack and jones and some boutique type shops are high end with big pricetags. They would have done well when they opened during the boom years and people had more money than sense.

Tullamore isn't big enough to sustain these type of shops.
    I say this because Lidl on the same street is thriving, therefore it is not a matter of specific location within the town IMO
    Other highend stores like say Galvins would have the distinct advantage of been long established and having a loyal customer base thus keeping them in business

This is only my opinion BTW! I don't know even know which shops are closed down but when I last visited xtravision a few months back the street did look incredibly drab and lifeless and it was sad to see:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

i notice there is a sign over xtra-vision saying ground floor lease for sale... does it mean xtra vision will be moving back to their old benetton store now vacant on patrick street? apparently they still own the lease on the benetton store

Xtravision handy there next to dominos, bigger store than benneton too isn't it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭medoc

I think that Main Street is a poor choice of name for this street. It was chosen by the developer despite complaints from some councilors. It causes some confusion as when some people hear the name Main Street they think of High Street, william Street, Bridge street as such. A new name should be chosen and a bit of on street maintenance wouldnt hurt either. A big help to the street would be a pedestrian bridge across to the Bridge Centre.

Not being from Tullamore, i am intrigued as this street for all intense purposes seems to be a private development and the local council seem not to have any say on its management, especially the grubbiness of the street. I assumed once a development is finished the council assume control, street lighting, road maintenance etc.

Just can't fathom this street, its like a baron wasteland and depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭PaulieG

Paddy Sweeney from Galway owns Main Street, (a lot of the units have been sold to private individuals) Tom McNamara has nothing to do with it anymore (although he still owns a couple of units on the street) and you're right, it has nothing to do with the council. It's run (or not) by a management company based in Galway. Free parking was a disaster as people who work in the town would park up there for the day. The shop tenants were asked what they would like to do about the parking situation and they all came up with this 'free for the first hour' thing. I used to work in a business down there and let me tell you, anyone who gets clamped fully deserves it. It is sign-posted on all the parking metres and of course it says the time on your ticket. D'uh! However, at the moment, the mulit-storey car park on Main Street is completely free as it's been left abandoned, so while they're deciding what to do with it they've just left it open.
    People who bought or leased property on Main Street were promised that a footbridge was going to link the Bridge Centre carpark with Aluminium Square - sorry, Millenium Square - but that hasn't happened. I can also tell you that the rent for those units is absolutely fecking astronomical, so if your business isn't booming from day one, you're in trouble!

• Advertisement

PaulieG wrote: »
    Paddy Sweeney from Galway owns Main Street, (a lot of the units have been sold to private individuals) Tom McNamara has nothing to do with it anymore (although he still owns a couple of units on the street) and you're right, it has nothing to do with the council. It's run (or not) by a management company based in Galway. Free parking was a disaster as people who work in the town would park up there for the day. The shop tenants were asked what they would like to do about the parking situation and they all came up with this 'free for the first hour' thing. I used to work in a business down there and let me tell you, anyone who gets clamped fully deserves it. It is sign-posted on all the parking metres and of course it says the time on your ticket. D'uh! However, at the moment, the mulit-storey car park on Main Street is completely free as it's been left abandoned, so while they're deciding what to do with it they've just left it open.
    People who bought or leased property on Main Street were promised that a footbridge was going to link the Bridge Centre carpark with Aluminium Square - sorry, Millenium Square - but that hasn't happened. I can also tell you that the rent for those units is absolutely fecking astronomical, so if your business isn't booming from day one, you're in trouble!

Very Interesting, is that one of the Sweeney Oil crowd? Something is really a miss with this street, i do agree with you re the clamping but its not entirely clear the multi story Car park is free, I checked this out yesterday, list of charges etc are still up. Also in the past two weeks the clamping company have gone on the rampage, on three occasions i saw three to four cars on both sides of the road clamped.

I am also intrigued by this new "Central Hotel", its awful looking and i rarely see any movement inside or out. I know the management company who had the "Days Franchise" pulled out a few months, they are called the Prem group as they were loosing their shirt on this place. New signage was put up but my god a lick of paint should have been considered.

Its looking grim for this street, at least 50% if not more units are now empty, one of the remaining restaurants had a creditors meeting a few weeks ago. I doubt even free rent would help the businesses on this street. At least the collapsed piece of road has been fixed.

Walked down this street tonight and it was almost eerie. It wasn't that late, maybe 11pm or so, but it was completely derlict except for a man getting out of a sketchers van, the dominos pizza delivery guy getting into his car and an old man coming out of the shop. The "hotel" seemed closed, dominos was empty, there were loud noises coming from the carpark so I presume that's used for underage drinking.

The street is a mess.

Walked down this street tonight and it was almost eerie. It wasn't that late, maybe 11pm or so, but it was completely derlict except for a man getting out of a sketchers van, the dominos pizza delivery guy getting into his car and an old man coming out of the shop. The "hotel" seemed closed, dominos was empty, there were loud noises coming from the carpark so I presume that's used for underage drinking.

The street is a mess.

Yep, pretty much what i saw last night, dropping some people into town, Grim stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭The Scawgeen

This street needs some retail therapy so who better to call in than Feargal Quinn, does anybody here watch his show on TV ? He could do one of his shows for 'Main Street' although it's a mammoth task to take on a whole street. A name change would be a start. Anyone else got any ideas ?

This street needs some retail therapy so who better to call in than Feargal Quinn, does anybody here watch his show on TV ? He could do one of his shows for 'Main Street' although it's a mammoth task to take on a whole street. A name change would be a start. Anyone else got any ideas ?

Seems like a good idea but probably impossible to get agreement from all the retailers, I just get a sense people, especially consumers have given up on this street. I also noticed last night, no effort being put into Christmas lighting, all the other big streets have started putting up street lighting. I was looking at this Central Hotel last night, not a sinner in the place, whatever way they have done the lighting, it almost looks closed. Looking up i noticed a few bedroom windows opened, lights off and curtains blowing in the wind. Bizarre site, i would fancy paying the heating bills in that place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Dinge

They finally resurfaced the road near Millennium Square which is good. It is hampered by its location. It would have made more sense if they could have had a footbridge to get people directly into the Bridge Centre car park from the multi-storey area without having to walk up along the bleak street they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pobrad

Plans are afoot for paid parking in the multi story after christmas,,,so be warned folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Dinge

That didn't work too well when they built it years ago. Love to see how that will work now that people have less money in their pockets...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭shnaek

Dempo1 wrote: »
    So, my question, am i missing something, should this street be renamed "Tumbleweed Avenue"
    Excellent! I vote for the new name. In fact, the whole street should be redesigned with a western theme. And the hotel changed into a saloon.

shnaek wrote: »
    Excellent! I vote for the new name. In fact, the whole street should be redesigned with a western theme. And the hotel changed into a saloon.

Tullamore is looking a little bleak at the moment, there seems to be more and more vacant retail units. Supermacs has re opened at apparent massive cost, apparently big dispute with former franchisee.

• Advertisement

I see clamping is back with a vengance on main street. 3 cars clamped yesterday and new pay machines gone up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭RINO87

is carrolls menswear still on that street? quality enough shop, hope its not gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

RINO87 wrote: »
    is carrolls menswear still on that street? quality enough shop, hope its not gone.

yep carrolls menswear is still there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭medoc

Why did the town council not take the street in charge. People dont realise its a private street with different parking arrangements from the rest of the town. As the developers dont seem to want to put in the bridge to the Bridge Centre perhaps the council should look into it, possibly in partnership with the Shopping Centre. Also a new name would be more approperiate, maybe named after some local historical figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

medoc wrote: »
    Why did the town council not take the street in charge. People dont realise its a private street with different parking arrangements from the rest of the town. As the developers dont seem to want to put in the bridge to the Bridge Centre perhaps the council should look into it, possibly in partnership with the Shopping Centre. Also a new name would be more approperiate, maybe named after some local historical figure.
    The Council have no money they can't deal with what they have never mind taking on other peoples stuff.

Last night, 8pm an English reg car clamped... Looked like they had just ran into xtra vision. Disgraceful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

i believe its lethal for clamping down main street now .. i think the name should be changed to "mean" street!!!! i refuse to park down there... not good for the local retailers down there at all:(

apparently they give you a 30 minute grace period ie from the time they spot the car illegally parked to clamp according to the owner of the clamping company in the tullamore tribune this week. this i find hard to believe as they seem to be watching and waiting for cars and pounce. it will damage main street to the stage where it is now becoming a ghost street. I believe the actually street itself is now in the hands of nama so thats who you complain to.... good luck with that.

medoc wrote: »

I could be wrong but assume the council would not touch this street with a barge pole because of unfinished works and perhaps commitments. It must be the only supposed main street in any large town in Ireland that is not under the control or supervision of the local council. This was most evident in 2010/2011 when a large ramp collapsed in the centre of the main street and was left for months before someone fixed it and I doubt it was the council. It was near impossible to navigate unless you were driving a JCB.

I've been away for a year and recently returned and this streets demise seems to be gathering pace, its shocking to see so many retail units closed. I believe an attempt to offer reduced parking fees on the streets multi story car park failed and whomever has engaged these clamper's back needs their heads examined. Business on this street is bad enough. I know there is abuses but surely any traffic albeit people just parking cars is better than what is essentially an abandoned look to the street is better. I genuinely feel sorry for anyone brave enough to open a shop on this street.

Tullamore generally seems to be alot quiter these days and I see Dunnes have stopped the free parking at their bridge street centre apart from weekends. Silly move in the current climate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Dempo1 wrote: »
    It must be the only supposed main street in any large town in Ireland that is not under the control or supervision of the local council.

Calling it Main Street does not a main street make.....

Advertisement