Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats Up with Main Street

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Calling it Main Street does not a main street make.....

LOL.... Point Taken!:)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

I pulled in on Main St last week, was going to do a quick run into Lidl. Luckily i was on the phone to someone at the time, so i was sat in the car for a few minutes just chatting. I noticed a guy watching me from across the road, then saw him go and put what looked like a warning sticker on a car opposite me, and it was only then that i remembered the bloody street was paid parking again. :eek:

Well i thought F You, im not parking here, and moved into Lidl's carpark where its free.
    Luckily i saw the owner of the car he put the sticker on arrive back within a few minutes, so i presume they got away without being clamped.
    I think the clamper was sitting in a small white van outside KFC just waiting to pounce on people.

And to be fair, the signs do not stand out, and there seems to be no pay machines down that far, so for anyone visiting the town, you could easily get caught out.

Does anyone know what the paid parking times are? As i think i read somewhere that its not like the rest of the town which is free after 5.30pm. Is this paid parking 24hrs?!

This facebook page seems to be gathering momentum.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003494869604&sk=wall

Some people seem to having success by putting a sign in their car stating that no one is authorised to clamp their car and any clamp put on their car will be removed. Not sure how long they will get away with doing that for though, if it was that easy surely people all over the country would be doing it?! :confused:

Apparently the science is, according to a post on that facebook page...

'Cut TheClamp: As clamping on private land is not supported by law, clampers argue that their signs outline the terms under which you are permitted to park there. By parking you signal your acceptance of these terms and a "contract" of some sort is created. By putting a sign in your car window you signal clearly that you do not accept their terms and you also notify them in advance that you will remove their clamp. Therefore it can be claimed that by putting their clamp on your car they accept your terms, including that you will remove the clamp and may damage it in the process, all of that being at the risk of whoever puts the clamp on your car. One lady in our group tried this in Main Street and it worked'

I suppose it does make sense in some way. I wonder could you also claim that your car is private property and by putting a clamp on it they are tampering with your property?!

Well for my part, i have just chosen not to park there anymore, and after driving through it yesterday, a busy Saturday at 2pm, seems the rest of the town are doing the same, it was empty! :(

Shame for the businesses there, and to think that its a local guy doing this too! He has some neck! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 chill71

I totally agree with you on Main street and clampers, that street will be derelict before long if they continue. I have no problem paying for parking, but last Friday night we as in 26 of us went for a meal in Jamies for a 40th birthday party, myself and my brother in law parked on private ground owned by Christy May we believe as informed by Jamie the chef, to discover at 9oclock at night to be clamped. Jamie said he is losing so much business as a result of these clampers. We were not on main street, no signage was visable having come down main street to where we parked and we had to pay €200 to get cars unclamped, as Jamies sister said its not the lovely meal we had we will remember but the €200 we had to pay out which we shouldnt have had. There was very bad feeling in the restaurant not just from our party but from others, def will put off more and more people dining at night in that area, its not just about parking not been paid for as parking fees were not in operation at this time!!!

chill71 wrote: »
    I totally agree with you on Main street and clampers, that street will be derelict before long if they continue. I have no problem paying for parking, but last Friday night we as in 26 of us went for a meal in Jamies for a 40th birthday party, myself and my brother in law parked on private ground owned by Christy May we believe as informed by Jamie the chef, to discover at 9oclock at night to be clamped. Jamie said he is losing so much business as a result of these clampers. We were not on main street, no signage was visable having come down main street to where we parked and we had to pay €200 to get cars unclamped, as Jamies sister said its not the lovely meal we had we will remember but the €200 we had to pay out which we shouldnt have had. There was very bad feeling in the restaurant not just from our party but from others, def will put off more and more people dining at night in that area, its not just about parking not been paid for as parking fees were not in operation at this time!!!

Glad to hear your group at least had a good meal, my experience was less than good, in fact the worst meal I ever had but that's another issue. I wondered if you had been advised were to park by the restaurant, would the restaurant not be partly at fault here. The Irony of what you experienced is a bizarre site I saw on the pavement outside Jamie's last Friday evening, around 6.30pm where I saw a Traffic Corp Garda Motorbike parked up neatly with the helmet attached to the handle bar for good measure, I wondered to myself would this vehicle be clamped?, not on your Nelly. As an aside, I also saw a bizarre sight yesterday when parked in the Dunne's at bridge street car park. There was a number of Garda going around the car park and up by castle buildings looking at disc's on car's parked up, I presume checking tax, insurance, nct etc, added to this and maybe I am wrong but has anyone else notice the massive increase in Check Points on the out skirts of Tullamore lately, seems the Garda are on a mission of some sort.

As for the clamping nonsense on Main Street, given the amount of empty units on the street, I have a sneaking suspicion the owners of the street are looking at any means of getting revenues in, Just a cynical thought, but this approach will back fire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 chill71

I am surprised at you not having a nice meal, I have eaten in there several times and always has been good and I think their early bird is excellent value. Just to clarify we werent advised to park by the restaurant there, it just happened when the guy came to remove our clamp, Jamie tried fighting our case for us as we were not technically on main street. He is obv feeling it as he said several customres had been clamped and it obv deters people going back to him. With annoyed me must that this was about 930 on a Friday night so parking fees dont apply so surely clamping shouldnt either, I can undersatnd the street owner enforcing in day time to get his parking fees but at night?? As i said it will be derelict street before long!!

chill71 wrote: »
    I am surprised at you not having a nice meal, I have eaten in there several times and always has been good and I think their early bird is excellent value. Just to clarify we werent advised to park by the restaurant there, it just happened when the guy came to remove our clamp, Jamie tried fighting our case for us as we were not technically on main street. He is obv feeling it as he said several customres had been clamped and it obv deters people going back to him. With annoyed me must that this was about 930 on a Friday night so parking fees dont apply so surely clamping shouldnt either, I can undersatnd the street owner enforcing in day time to get his parking fees but at night?? As i said it will be derelict street before long!!

Perhaps I picked a bad night at Jamie's, used to love the food at the Glendine Bistro in Kinnitty.

I am guessing because the street is still technically privately owned, the normal decency rules on parking restrictions don't apply, given this shower are clamping that late into the evening, I think my point re the landowner seeking any means of revenues is proven, seems they care less about upsetting potential customers and of course we know what that will entail and the restaurant is perhaps right to be concerned.

Just updating with the new facebook page link, apparently the other page was closed down by the clampers boss! :eek:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003571465918&sk=wall

Just regards the clamping at night, does anyone know what the exact parking restriction times are on Main St? I thought i heard it was 7am-7pm. Surely they cant be clamping at 9.30pm at night??!! Thats outrageous! :mad:

chill71, were you sure it was Main St clampers that got you and not Bridge House private clampers? If you were parked in their carpark/on their land without permission, then maybe they authorised the clamp?
    Where exactly were you parked?

On a complete side note, am i the only one annoyed that the little carpark in the Bridge Centre, up near the flats, is now All Day Parking for €2?! :mad: It was always the place to go to get parking as i think people assumed it was private parking for the flats so it was always empty, but now theres a huge sign outside and its FULL all the time with workers parked all day!! Grrrrrrrr!! :mad::mad:

Ok, rant over!:P

Jesus the demise of Main street continues, took a stroll down this street yesterday, long time have to say and see the KFC has closed up shop, I was amazed it lasted as long as it did, never saw anyone in it and the one time was I went in there, it was filthy behind belief. Noticed an amusing sign (well not that amusing) in another closed up shop from our friends the clamping company, proudly announcing the first hour of parking is free, a little late in the day given there seems to be absolutely no point in either parking or going down this street. Its a shocking sight to see. I wondered what next? that dreadful looking central Hotel is Grim looking and not a sinner inside it either.

I did noticed on the other end of the street, the aquarium restaurant has changed names, looks nice but Jamie's closed on a Wednesday??? bizarre whats going on this street.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Jesus the demise of Main street continues, took a stroll down this street yesterday, long time have to say and see the KFC has closed up shop, I was amazed it lasted as long as it did, never saw anyone in it and the one time was I went in there, it was filthy behind belief. Noticed an amusing sign (well not that amusing) in another closed up shop from our friends the clamping company, proudly announcing the first hour of parking is free, a little late in the day given there seems to be absolutely no point in either parking or going down this street. Its a shocking sight to see. I wondered what next? that dreadful looking central Hotel is Grim looking and not a sinner inside it either.

I did noticed on the other end of the street, the aquarium restaurant has changed names, looks nice but Jamie's closed on a Wednesday??? bizarre whats going on this street.

KFC is gone? Not really surprised, the only thing that does well on Main Street is Lidl!

• Advertisement

lizt wrote: »
    KFC is gone? Not really surprised, the only thing that does well on Main Street is Lidl!

Yep, rarely saw anyone in that place!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Apache pizza is gone too, has been for a while. Never really understood why they set up here, if there's one thing Tullamore has a huge supply of, it's takeaways.

Seems Main streets problems are not isolated, sad to see a number of shops closed in bridge street centre, De Bruins also seems to have closed shop two Sundays ago and a men clothes shop beside chocolate brown closed up also. At this rate i can see the shopping districts in Tullamore confined to one, perhaps two streets. One thing that has also baffled me is the concentration of Barber shops on one street, there must be at least six, quite amazing how they all survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Seems Main streets problems are not isolated, sad to see a number of shops closed in bridge street centre, De Bruins also seems to have closed shop two Sundays ago and a men clothes shop beside chocolate brown closed up also. At this rate i can see the shopping districts in Tullamore confined to one, perhaps two streets. One thing that has also baffled me is the concentration of Barber shops on one street, there must be at least six, quite amazing how they all survive.

Its not unique to Tullamore Main Street, major recession in Europe this is happening in every town in Europe not just Tullamore!

I go to Spain a lot and it looks identical over there with shops/businesses closing daily.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

But Main Street's still all cracked and broken

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dathi Horizon

why Should barbers close? i still get my hair cut as much as i use to, i think that would be the same for every man. Maybe over the last few years a few men have done a homer and pulled out all there hair in stress, but barbers look to be busy as always lol.

why Should barbers close? i still get my hair cut as much as i use to, i think that would be the same for every man. Maybe over the last few years a few men have done a homer and pulled out all there hair in stress, but barbers look to be busy as always lol.

I'm suggesting any Barber should close, infact i use one of them, just amazed how they all survive as i am sure there are more barbers throughout tullamore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 benej10

It would be great if they could integrate it more with the Bridge centre and carpark there. There's a huge derelict building there between the 2 sites which to me feels like it kind of cuts it off a bit from the Bridge Centre or at least have better access between the 2. At the moment the street really only acts as a convenient way out of town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

I've thought that too ever since it was built. It just seems detached from the Bridge Centre rather than being a natural extension to the shopping area.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

benej10 wrote: »
    It would be great if they could integrate it more with the Bridge centre and carpark there. There's a huge derelict building there between the 2 sites which to me feels like it kind of cuts it off a bit from the Bridge Centre or at least have better access between the 2. At the moment the street really only acts as a convenient way out of town.

If I remember correctly, there were plans for a pedestrian bridge from the square area beside xtravision across to the Bridge Centre carpark, assume that it fell by the wayside

• Advertisement

If I remember correctly, there were plans for a pedestrian bridge from the square area beside xtravision across to the Bridge Centre carpark, assume that it fell by the wayside

Would the bridge even be that costly to construct??? It wont alleviate the relative isolation of the street IMO. There are 2 derelict sites as you enter the street from the bridge centre and are only a short distance from the entrance to the bridge centre itself. Maybe if these sites were cleared and construct a public square it might open up the street a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mr bungle.

i think that main street is not too bad,the whole area around the closed texas shop and the massive car park is an eye sore,i thought that pennys were meant to be anchor tennants in a new shoping centre to be located on that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    But Main Street's still all cracked and broken

Sorry mom the mob has spoken.

mr bungle. wrote: »
    i think that main street is not too bad,the whole area around the closed texas shop and the massive car park is an eye sore,i thought that pennys were meant to be anchor tennants in a new shoping centre to be located on that site.

IMO Main Street has been a failure although I hope to be proven wrong. The retail offering on the street is poor and it always felt too quiet and it looks like its not going to improve unfortunately. Retail in Tullamore I feel is a bit too disjointed & fragmented now between the Bridge Centre, The Retail Park, Old Dunnes and now Main Street is added to the mix along with the older streets in town. Rather than building a new street would it not have been better to maintain and try improve the existing streets that were there already? They should have picked one retail area in town as a focal point and build on it.

Its a shame to see the old Texas site left idle. It was a loss to Tullamore. A new shopping centre on that site would be great for the town.

that's so true.it must be a good mile from main street out to tesco.i wouldn't fancy doing a bit of shopping. in lidl for example and then having to trek out to tesco for a few bits.compared to athlone where there is a five minute stroll between the two main shopping centres.a woman asked me outside the bridge house looking for mc Donalds.dries did not bother going when i told her how far away it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭seXmym0nkey

that's so true.it must be a good mile from main street out to tesco.i wouldn't fancy doing a bit of shopping. in lidl for example and then having to trek out to tesco for a few bits.

Aldi's across the road from Tesco though!

They need to do something with the two sites either side of the lane between Main St. and the Brigde centre, they look desperate. Fair enough the buildings are old and there's probably some heritage there but they're an awful eyesore. The empty site is overgrown and full of litter and junk.
    As someone said above, a sqaure would be a good idea for that corner as it would open up the place. If that narrow little lane were transformed into a square there'd be so much flat open space linking the bridge center and main st. It would help the accesability of main st. and make it more attractive coming from the town's shopping centre...

Bit off topic, they'll be putting up a new footbridge between clontarf road and the park on the other side when the new arts centre is built!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Scawgeen

Bit off topic, they'll be putting up a new footbridge between clontarf road and the park on the other side when the new arts centre is built!

Why the footbridge ? Just wondering

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭seXmym0nkey

Why the footbridge ? Just wondering

Why did I bring it up or why are they instaling it?

I just brought it up because people were talking about a footbridge between main st and the bridge centre...

I presume they're insalling it for better access...

that's so true.it must be a good mile from main street out to tesco.i wouldn't fancy doing a bit of shopping. in lidl for example and then having to trek out to tesco for a few bits.

Aldi's across the road from Tesco though!

They need to do something with the two sites either side of the lane between Main St. and the Brigde centre, they look desperate. Fair enough the buildings are old and there's probably some heritage there but they're an awful eyesore. The empty site is overgrown and full of litter and junk.
    As someone said above, a sqaure would be a good idea for that corner as it would open up the place. If that narrow little lane were transformed into a square there'd be so much flat open space linking the bridge center and main st. It would help the accesability of main st. and make it more attractive coming from the town's shopping centre...

as far as i know the waste area beside the road into the bridge centre car park is owned by the bridge house.they use it for storage of stuff that they use for maintenance of the hotel.the foot bridge seems like a total wasted of money.why build a bridge a few metres from the kilbeggan bridge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Scawgeen

Why did I bring it up or why are they instaling it?

I just brought it up because people were talking about a footbridge between main st and the bridge centre...

I presume they're insalling it for better access...

It was why were they installing the Art centre footbridge. I cannot see the need for it. Clontarf Road can be tricky enough to drive down without having to deal with pedestrians as well.

Advertisement