Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats Up with Main Street

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭mel1

If ye think the rent on those units was bad you would want to have tried keeping up with the cost of the rates! That street was a complete rip off for anyone who opened a business on it.
    Promised this, promised that and got nothin only left in the dark if even the street lights went out.
    Q.Who wanted to take responsibility for that street?
    A. Noboby, but so many had hands out for money it was unbelievable!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mr bungle.

mel1 wrote: »
    If ye think the rent on those units was bad you would want to have tried keeping up with the cost of the rates! That street was a complete rip off for anyone who opened a business on it.
    Promised this, promised that and got nothin only left in the dark if even the street lights went out.
    Q.Who wanted to take responsibility for that street?
    A. Noboby, but so many had hands out for money it was unbelievable!
    they are on about the negative effects of massive business rates on Joe duffy now.might interest you.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 fog arty

I would have sympathy for the businesses there, people were parking in LIDL carpark to avoid paying to park at train station

fog arty wrote: »
    I would have sympathy for the businesses there, people were parking in LIDL carpark to avoid paying to park at train station
    in fairness there should be no said parking anywhere in tullamore.business in the town centre seems to be at an all time low.do the town council want to attract people or drive them a away.seems to be the latter.there seems to be am awful lot more traffic wardens going around the town in the last few months.not very encouraging for people trying to do a bit in the town.rant over!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

mr bungle. wrote: »
    in fairness there should be no said parking anywhere in tullamore.business in the town centre seems to be at an all time low.do the town council want to attract people or drive them a away.seems to be the latter.there seems to be am awful lot more traffic wardens going around the town in the last few months.not very encouraging for people trying to do a bit in the town.rant over!

To be fair, the town council recently brought in the 15 minutes free, two hours for the price of one rule. I think it's a fair compromise.
    If there's no paid parking, you'd have people working in Patrick Street parking there, people working on High Street parking there etc and taking up all the spaces there. No paid parking wouldn't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 TamTaRam

fog arty wrote: »

A friend of mine who works in Lidl told me some time ago that Lidl does not own the car park, the store is only renting part of a building, so anyone who parks their cars outside Lidl store should pay for it.

LizT wrote: »

To be fair, the town council recently brought in the 15 minutes free, two hours for the price of one rule. I think it's a fair compromise.
    If there's no paid parking, you'd have people working in Patrick Street parking there, people working on High Street parking there etc and taking up all the spaces there. No paid parking wouldn't work.
    Patrick street is nearly always full of parked cars as it is so there would be no difference there really.high street has double yellows the whole way.back in the old days people used to be able to park where they liked until town councils realized it was a handy cash cow.i reckon the decision by the town council to give the second hour free to park just shows they see now that paid parking is stifling trade in the town

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The fall of trade in town is more to do with where people live, the retail park on the edge of town and the fact people have less money. Free parking won't make any differance.

'Years Ago' Ireland had less cars, more people were on foot making a town centre the most practical option. During the day you walked the short distance (cycled if a bit further away) to the shops went around town 'Got your messages' and walked home.

Now a large percentage live on the outskirts of towns, if they need something they hop in the car and go to retail parks where they will get easy parking. Many of the ones with jobs are away all day and the town is shutting up on the way home making the supermarkets like Tesco or Aldi the best option.

Main street itself is cut off from the main part of the town, very few people are going to be bothered walking over there if they manage to get parking (paid or otherwise) in O'Connor square to go to Lidl or a take away. If you do drive into town or walk everything you need is around one area and that area is well away from main street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

DM-ICE wrote: »
    The fall of trade in town is more to do with where people live, the retail park on the edge of town and the fact people have less money. Free parking won't make any differance.

'Years Ago' Ireland had less cars, more people were on foot making a town centre the most practical option. During the day you walked the short distance (cycled if a bit further away) to the shops went around town 'Got your messages' and walked home.

Now a large percentage live on the outskirts of towns, if they need something they hop in the car and go to retail parks where they will get easy parking. Many of the ones with jobs are away all day and the town is shutting up on the way home making the supermarkets like Tesco or Aldi the best option.

Main street itself is cut off from the main part of the town, very few people are going to be bothered walking over there if they manage to get parking (paid or otherwise) in O'Connor square to go to Lidl or a take away. If you do drive into town or walk everything you need is around one area and that area is well away from main street.

The new main street is about 200 meters from the old Main Street and the old main street is always choked with cars so i disagree with you saying the old main street is more appealing to everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 TamTaRam

TamTaRam wrote: »
    A friend of mine who works in Lidl told me some time ago that Lidl does not own the car park, the store is only renting part of a building, so anyone who parks their cars outside Lidl store should pay for it.

Ok, so it seems this has changed recently and now the car park outside Lidl Store is free of charge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement