Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hard drives

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

It has good results in comparison to a lot of other drives, but it's still relatively pricey.
    For a single fast drive, it would be a good choice. I would be more inclined to opt for the fast 1TB + a green drive or even 2x500GB RAID-0 + 2TB green drive for close to the same price.
    I prefer to have multiple drives to back up data but it will use a little more power (although power consumption is fairly low and modern OSs will shut down the drives if they're not used).

Is there any reason why you specifically need 2TB?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

basically i'm lazy and hate having to pick drives to install to and also hate having to uninstall things when the main drive gets full
    so i like to install to the default drive and also to keep everything i install thats why i never split drives
    so a single large drive would suit me best as i will be backing up most of my downloads to an external drive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Skerries wrote: »
    basically i'm lazy and hate having to pick drives to install to
    That sounds pretty lazy. :p

In that case, maybe RAID 0 would serve you better (with two or three smaller drives - 500MB-1TB?). It would show up as one drive in windows. Random access wouldn't be great but overall transfer speed is very good. You should definitely backup if you use RAID 0 as each drive only stores part of a file, so you lose all your data if a drive breaks.

I would normally partition off the start of a drive for OS/important programs as that's the fastest part, but you woudn't have to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

what part of lazy didn't you understand ;)
    i know the benefits of raiding it but when i normally move onto my next build i just stick in the last drive from my previous build and work from that as my second drive
    Lazy! :D
    thanks for the help but i really think i'm gonna go with the single large fast drive

Advertisement