Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Packie for Fianna Fail?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

You can never underestimate human stupidity im afraid.

I honestly would not be suprised in ther slightest if he got in, could you imagine himself and Coughlan being 2/3 of our representation in the Dail, the rest of the country would consider blowing the place up.

I reckon myself though that if there is a general election before the by-election has a chance to come to fruition that the 2 Donegal constituencies will both have a 1-1-1 split with fianna fail, the blue shirts and sinn fein all getting a seat apiece. We shall have to wait and see though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I think he'd be mad to even consider this.

If he did go forward and did get elected, he'd just be a backbencher who would have no real say in anything.

Jim Glennon was a TD for one term, I think, and he got out because he was stiffled by the party system.

I really hope Packie doesn't do this. He is hugely liked and respected by many people throughout the country and he would alienate himself from a lot of people who have a problem with Fianna Fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

Packie - Ex Irish Goal Keeper = Nice Guy

Packie - FF Gaol Keeper = <SNIP>

Simple as ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,199 ✭✭✭✭muffler

sligopark, please think before you post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭doc_17

Packie is a Donegal Legend. But.....

I will not vote for him JUST because he saved a penalty.

I will vote for him if he has ideas that can turn around the country. If he recognises the need for deep reform in the political system.

But those things are incompatible with why he would be running. He'd be running because he's a nice, popular fella. Are we really that thick that we would overlook the role FF have played in wrecking our country?

We'd say "Ah sure it doesn't matter that he's FF"

If he got elected in March the FF machine would be saying things like "This is a vindication of our policies because we got Packie elected"

• Advertisement

I heard that FF are discussing bringing Pat the Cope back from Europe to refight for his seat and co-opting Pascal Mooney on into Europe

Would people on the ground really fall for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

People thought the song was a joke but the more time goes on the more i believe we really should build a wall around it and have our own Las Vegas in the hills of Donegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

Pat the Cope in goals for Ireland team more likely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

sligopark wrote: »
    I heard that FF are discussing bringing Pat the Cope back from Europe to refight for his seat and co-opting Pascal Mooney on into Europe

Would people on the ground really fall for this?

Yes, despite all the we voted no to Lisbon (a vote against the government) Donegal is the same as the rest of the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

He would get in I'm afraid because that's how this county rolls sure Coughlin will walk in again even though she has done NOTHING for the county at least when McDaid was in office he got a lot for the Letterkenny area makes you sick when we need someone to get jobs and the country back on it's feet we have nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Firblog wrote: »
    Seems that Fianna Fail are trying to get packie Bonner to run in the upcoming by-election... I think even if they get the pope and Obamba to personally back him he'd still lose his deposit....

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/fianna-fail-wants-packie-to-save-atrisk-seat-in-donegal-2400589.html

why do you think he won't get in? i'm not saying i would vote for him but Don't celebrity usually get elected?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Firblog

Well I have tonnes of faith in the abundance of that very unique quality that exists in Donegal People.... SPITE
    FF have banjaxed the whole country.. not just for the next 5 years or so, but for decades, people know this, an by hell they/we are gonna exact retribution....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

packie bonner is/was a football player...are people stupid enough to vote for the lad? have the people of this country learned nothing over the course of this current political crisis.

Nozebleed wrote: »
    packie bonner is/was a football player...are people stupid enough to vote for the lad? have the people of this country learned nothing over the course of this current political crisis.

are any of the present politicians qualified within their brief?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I had the replica goalie jersey during italia 90, but if he runs for Fianna Fail, ill root out the jersey and bring it back to the shop and ask for my money back !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

Unless the case is won tomorrow by the Sinn Fein senator (IMO highly unlikely ) There will not be any by-elections. Even if they are scheduled for the spring there will be a general election first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

sligopark wrote: »
    are any of the present politicians qualified within their brief?

yes...there are loads of qualified arseholes in the dail.

Good to see Pearse Doherty winning his high court challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Aligator Farmer

Indeed.
    Whats the bet on Mary C taking a sickie tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Backard_Pell

great result today at the High Court... a bit of democracy finally, thank God.... what will this now mean I wonder?

• Advertisement

what will this now mean I wonder?
    I sincerely hope that it means a new TD for Donegal SW who is free from the shackles of the private members/back scratchers club (aka Fianna Fail)

Advertisement