Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

light problem

Options
  • 30-10-2010 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

hi , my aunt next door has a problem , a light in one room is not working since they had fitted wardrobes installed during the week , so i went over this morning to have a look , at the switch i have a live , but when the switch is turned on ,the live disappears, im puzzled what could be cutting it out , any ideas please ?? no mcbs have tripped .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

kayabram wrote: »
    hi , my aunt next door has a problem , a light in one room is not working since they had fitted wardrobes installed during the week , so i went over this morning to have a look , at the switch i have a live , but when the switch is turned on ,the live disappears, im puzzled what could be cutting it out , any ideas please ?? no mcbs have tripped .

Sounds like a neutral for the lights has been cut or broken, thats what causes that. Usually for this to happen needs more than one light fitting to be affected though.

Although it still seems strange looking at the problem again, unless the neutrals are actually being switched and the strange reading your seeing was always there but you only notice now when there is a problem. Reverse polarity of the light circuit would cause the ``live disappearing`` when the switch is turned on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

did the wardrobe installers fit a light in it?
    how have you checked you have a live at the switch?
    its possible wardrobe fitters tapped into light circuit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

meercat wrote: »
    did the wardrobe installers fit a light in it?
    how have you checked you have a live at the switch?
    its possible wardrobe fitters tapped into light circuit

Good suggestions alright, and the OP could actually be turning the switch off when the Live is disappearing,

How did you test this is a good question alright.

Advertisement