Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conferring Ceremony?

Options
  • 30-10-2010 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭

I am due to be conferred early December.I was just wondering should I have received invitations by now?Is there a cost etc?I have had no communication about this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

UCD have become very slow at sending out invitations, etc. to graduations. You probably won't receive anything in the post until mid to late November.

There's no graduation fee like there is in Trinity, but you will have to pay for robe hire. You should find a link to Phelans (the company who supply the robes) on the conferring unit website.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

You usually only get the pack 2 weeks before conferring date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Thanks for the replies folks. I'm just a bit nervous about UCD's admin etc.
    Yeah I heard some colleges have a fee of about €200 for graduating ceremonies.I seem to recall some kind of protest about it last year in Galway or somewhere.I could do without a fee right now tbh.
    Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

The only things you will pay for is the rent for the robes and any pictures you decide to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Yeah I heard some colleges have a fee of about €200 for graduating ceremonies.I seem to recall some kind of protest about it last year in Galway or somewhere.I could do without a fee right now tbh.
    Thanks again.

Trinity charge €114. Along with this, you have to higher the gowns, tux and pay for the photographs as well. It's a rip off for one day.

Hopefully you'll have Diarmaid Ferriter giving a speech to ye (the man's a legend, he gave a great speech last year) and not the stupid malignant cunt from the school of english some of us got who shited on about James Joyce (who gives a fuck about some alco, schizo novelist).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Rosita

Thanks again.

A gown will cost about €45 to hire. Other than that there's no cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Lads and ladies, I'm looking for the date when those getting their History MA get conferred. I had a look at the dates here:

http://www.ucd.ie/confer/schedule.htm

Am I right in thinking it's Monday, 13th December 2010, as it says that's the date for 'Higher Degrees in the Colleges of Arts and Celtic Studies'?

Haven't had any info from the college on this either.

I dont know, other courses seem to specify that its a masters graduation so it might not be on the 13th. I hope not anway, I have an exam on the 14th!

I got my conferring pack from UCD yesterday. So happy days. €45 to rent the gown etc.If I could avoid paying that I would but it's not as bad as I first feared. Thanks for all the replies.

OSI wrote: »
    Just buy some black curtains in Penny's for a fiver!

:)Yeah I could do something like that I suppose but don't you have to wear certain colours or something? It's not a big deal really I suppose.

• Advertisement

:)Yeah I could do something like that I suppose but don't you have to wear certain colours or something? It's not a big deal really I suppose.

Yeah, you have to wear a gown that adheres to the specifications. I borrowed a gown from a friend for my graduation and it had to be checked to ensure that it was ok to use it. I still had to rent the hood, though.

I got my conferring pack from UCD yesterday. So happy days.

Do you mind me asking what's the date of your conferring? My brother still hasn't received his...

convert wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking what's the date of your conferring? My brother still hasn't received his...

Mine is on December 6th.Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Am I right in thinking that if you receive your degree in absentia (i.e. don't attend the ceremony) then you don't have to pay any costs at all?

Susie_Q wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that if you receive your degree in absentia (i.e. don't attend the ceremony) then you don't have to pay any costs at all?

Nope, there's no costs involved if you graduate in absentia as you don't have to hire your gown.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Hey I am not able to attend (read: cannot be arsed going to) the conferring ceremony. I'm filling in the In Absentia form, but it says 'Degree to be conferred'. What exactly do I put in here? I did Arts Omnibus Joint Major, do I put in that or what is on the list giving details they posted out? As in, BE Degree (Hons) (Joint Major) (Surname N-Z)?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭DSLC

I'm due to be conferred in UCD shortly as well - assuming that the weather is ok. I have ordered the robe, but just want to clarify what is expected as regards other aspects of the dress.
    El Siglo wrote:
    Along with this, you have to higher the gowns, tux and pay for the photographs as well.

We don't have to wear a tux, do we? I assumed that black trousers plus a black or white shirt would suffice. Do we need a jacket as well?

DSLC wrote: »
    I'm due to be conferred in UCD shortly as well - assuming that the weather is ok. I have ordered the robe, but just want to clarify what is expected as regards other aspects of the dress.

We don't have to wear a tux, do we? I assumed that black trousers plus a black or white shirt would suffice. Do we need a jacket as well?

No. Normal business suit will do the job. At the end of the day, how many times will you ever graduate? Might as well look the part for the few hours that are in it.

Thanks for the response.
    At the end of the day, how many times will you ever graduate? Might as well look the part for the few hours that are in it.

I don't disagree with you. At the same, however, money is a little bit scarce for some people in the present climate.

So, if noone minds, I just to want to seek clarification on a few things:
    • Does the shirt have to be white? Or can it be black?
    • Do we have to wear a jacket? (Will the robe cover that anyway?)

These things aren't clearly laid out on the UCD website, as far as I can tell; so I'm guessing we have a degree of leeway. Then again, maybe they just assumed that people would be familiar with the protocol (which I amn't).

These things aren't clearly laid out on the UCD website, as far as I can tell; so I'm guessing we have a degree of leeway. Then again, maybe they just assumed that people would be familiar with the protocol (which I amn't).

You can wear whatever you want. I have seen guys in combats, guys in white shoes etc at graduation. Would not be very fair on guys to give them a dress code when girls can wear whatever they want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I'm graduating tomorrow and I'm just wearing suit bottoms and a white shirt.

Thanks for the response.

I don't disagree with you. At the same, however, money is a little bit scarce for some people in the present climate.

You can wear whatever you like, UCD aren't fussy and they wont not let you graduate. I know a chap that wore a pair of runner, jeans and a t-shirt when he graduated and nothing was said to him.

UCD dont mind. I believe Trinity make you wear formal wear

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Do you have to reserve the gown in advance or can you just stroll into the Astra Hall and pick one up? Due to be conferred tomorrow.

Thanks for the info.

@pithater: I'm not sure, but you might be able to find the answer on the Phelan Conan website: http://www.phelanconan.com/ .

Frisbee wrote: »
    I'm graduating tomorrow and I'm just wearing suit bottoms and a white shirt.

AKA trousers :pac:

Sorry I don't mean to be a knob!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

UCD dont mind. I believe Trinity make you wear formal wear

In Trinity you have to wear black and white. I wore a purple dress to my grad last year, I like being all colordy!

Does anyone know what the gown is like for an MA conferring? I'm graduating Wednesday week?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Does anyone know what the gown is like for an MA conferring? I'm graduating Wednesday week?
    Longer sleeves and a bigger hood than what you would have had for your BA graduation.

An M.A. gown from the college of human sciences looks like this

ucd-117.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 hcar

My brother is supposed to be graduating with an Arts degree and we just looked it up and its TODAY the 6th Dec but he never got ANY information from UCD at all.. Any ideas what to do??? Should we just arrive and try sort it out?

Advertisement