Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conferring Ceremony?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

hcar wrote: »
    My brother is supposed to be graduating with an Arts degree and we just looked it up and its TODAY the 6th Dec but he never got ANY information from UCD at all.. Any ideas what to do??? Should we just arrive and try sort it out?

He should have got an information pack a few weeks ago. There is a link on the UCD site (google UCD conferring) with some basic info.Depending on surname the conferring ceremonies are at different times. You can pick up gown from Astra Hall from 9am. I would ring the student desk and see what the story is and why he didn't get the pack.
    Your brother must be fairly laid back if he wasn't bothered about looking this up:) I know it's not a big deal for some I suppose,but I'm delighted with myself.:)
    Either way,good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

hcar wrote: »
    My brother is supposed to be graduating with an Arts degree and we just looked it up and its TODAY the 6th Dec but he never got ANY information from UCD at all.. Any ideas what to do??? Should we just arrive and try sort it out?

The problem could be that the address they have for him is his student address and not his home address. Other things like a change in phone number can make people difficult to contact. Surprised he did not ever think of looking it up, he must be ultra laid back about it all! The dates have been up since the summer and the packs normally arrive a few weeks before the date.

Hope it all worked out anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 chompchomp

UCD are an absolute disgrace for not informing people of their conferrings (or anything for that matter). My mother (who is hell bent on going) rang them three months ago to confirm the date....gave them my name, student number etc. I still hadn't received any info regarding it last week and I rang them. They claimed that my name hadn't been forwarded yet. What a load of tosh.

How come a university like UCC can manage it and they can't? I swear I never want to set foot in that place after tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

chompchomp wrote: »
    UCD are an absolute disgrace for not informing people of their conferrings (or anything for that matter). My mother (who is hell bent on going) rang them three months ago to confirm the date....gave them my name, student number etc. I still hadn't received any info regarding it last week and I rang them. They claimed that my name hadn't been forwarded yet. What a load of tosh.

How come a university like UCC can manage it and they can't? I swear I never want to set foot in that place after tomorrow.

The dates for graduations are made available about 9-12 months prior to your graduation on this site. I would have thought that was fairly common knowledge

I received my graduation pack yesterday for my grad next monday. It was posted about 7 days before that but it was delayed due to weather. They generally give 2 weeks notice.

If you have holds on your account you wont be issued with any information, do you owe them some fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭queensinead

The dates for graduations are made available about 9-12 months prior to your graduation on this site. I would have thought that was fairly common knowledge

I received my graduation pack yesterday for my grad next monday. It was posted about 7 days before that but it was delayed due to weather. They generally give 2 weeks notice.

If you have holds on your account you wont be issued with any information, do you owe them some fees?

I was at the UCD conferring yesterday Monday Dec 6th, in the snow. I thought the whole day was lovely and the organisation superb

Despite no gowns being available on Friday because UCD was closed by snow, it was quick and easy to pick the gown up on Mon morning. We got pics taken before the ceremony, nobody there, no queues. The 45 euro for gowns is the only expense, unlike the rip-off in some other colleges.

Ground stiff did a great job clearing all the paths. Lots of people taking pics in the snow. The girls' high heels were crazy, but looked great.

The ceremony itself had a great atmosphere, not at all impersonal. Maybe lots of people "in abstentia" because of the snow? It was so well done, you could hear each name being called, very clearly, great silence in the hall.. The procession of students and academics with classical music was impressive and each name and number was correct, like clockwork. A History guy , James, gave the speech, very interesting, and short, thank God. Afterwards we had canapes and stuff in the restaurant.

You could have checked on the UCD website--they tell you which alphabetical group is getting conferred at what time on what day. So really people had to be aware of it.
    Look, it is a special day and a rite of passage. I really enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Loved my grad last year, and I can't wait for my one which is this coming Monday. (I hope Declan Kiberd gives a speech at mine :) ) It's my boyfriends graduation today. I'm very proud!!

The ceremony runs very smoothly and is over fairly quickly. Tea and food in the restaurant after. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Had my conferring on Monday. Really well organised and enjoyed the day. The snow made for interesting photos. Big queue for professional photographers afterwards in the Astra Hall so didn't bother. The reception in restaurant wasn't untill 5:15 and we finished around 3 so we didn't hang round in the cold for that. Went for a meal with family later on.Picked my robe up on the morning,no hassle. Congrats to everyone else.:)

I graduated later than everyone else in my class. I knew the date of the graduation last June. I rang up in October to confirm the date (just in case) and they said they would send out the graduation pack. I still hadn't received it a week ago and I rang them up and basically your one on the phone lied through her teeth saying I had only just been added to the list of graduands....even though I was mysteriously on this list in October. It just seemed like a half-arsed effort on their part...... I just don't think the administration is up to scratch in the college. Had mine today and it was grand. ....we were warned at the end of the ceremony about not walking on the lake:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

chompchomp wrote: »
    I graduated later than everyone else in my class. I knew the date of the graduation last June. I rang up in October to confirm the date (just in case) and they said they would send out the graduation pack. I still hadn't received it a week ago and I rang them up and basically your one on the phone lied through her teeth saying I had only just been added to the list of graduands....even though I was mysteriously on this list in October. It just seemed like a half-arsed effort on their part...... I just don't think the administration is up to scratch in the college. Had mine today and it was grand. ....we were warned at the end of the ceremony about not walking on the lake:D

What department did you ring up? And what did you ask in October? If you rang the student desk, you will have had the date confirmed (i.e. they looked at the dates online just like everybody else can). That hardly means you were on a list.

What department did you ring up? And what did you ask in October? If you rang the student desk, you will have had the date confirmed (i.e. they looked at the dates online just like everybody else can). That hardly means you were on a list.

I rang the conferring crowd in the admin building. It definatly wasn't the student desk because i actually spoke to some lady whos responsible for organising the conferrings.Ah well its all over now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement