Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samp to terminate Cassano contract

• 30-10-2010 11:25am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

from Football-Italia.net
    Sampdoria demand a contract termination after Antonio Cassano’s “gravely offensive and disrespectful” behaviour that will also keep him out of the Italy squad.
    The row erupted after the player did not attend an awards ceremony and then had a blazing row with the President when asked to make a formal apology.

“In reference to the incident on Tuesday 26 at the Gloriano Mugnaini training ground, during which the player Antonio Cassano showed a gravely offensive and disrespectful attitude to President Riccardo Garrone,” read an official statement.

“UC Sampdoria announce that they have opened a request for disciplinary action.”

This means it is not a ‘normal’ issue of freezing Cassano out of the squad, but rather terminating his contract.

There will also be a telegram during the process alerting him that he is temporarily suspended from competitive football until the matter is resolved.

That includes international duty, so puts a hold on Cassano’s international career.

“Even if director of sport Doriano Tosi told him not to bother turning up to training today, he will go anyway,” explained agent Giuseppe Bozzo.

“The day before Garrone’s request, Antonio had turned down a lot of money so he could stay with his pregnant wife Carolina, so in fairness he decided to take the same approach.

“The matter had been closed between him and the President on Wednesday, but then director general Sergio Gasparin called Cassano to explain this required a written apology.

“Is this rapport beyond repair? In all honesty, it’s very tough, but I will work with him to make it happen. In any case, I will look after Antonio’s interests in every legal arena.”

This is a remarkable course of action by Sampdoria, as they will effectively give up on the money from a January sale.

The bitter row opens the door for Inter, Juventus, Milan and Manchester City to take advantage of a free agent.

What this basically mean is that Antonio Cassano is going to be a free agent and can sign for anyone.

He would make ANY team in the world better for having him, I really hope Milan make a bid, God knows where they would fit him though.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Nananananana JUVE. Him and Krasic, who needs real forwards.

Seriously, utter madness to get rid of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Another mercenary to City hopefully.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

If they held out for 8 weeks they could sell him for AT LEAST €10million, make no sense at all.

Xavi6 wrote: »

Don't see him leaving Italy any time soon. He wouldn't suit the "hustle and bustle" (read kick and rush) style of the premiership anyway.

It's best he stays in Italy. Within about an Hour and a half of Genoa too...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

a serious talent undoubtedly but the bottom line is he is way too much of a liability and will cause disharmony anywhere he goes- has basically squandered what could have been a great career with his off the field bull****- he's like craig bellamy x 100

• Advertisement

a serious talent undoubtedly but the bottom line is he is way too much of a liability and will cause disharmony anywhere he goes- has basically squandered what could have been a great career with his off the field bull****- he's like craig bellamy x 100

He's been a solid pro at Samp, this seems like the director is just being a dickhead.

Also, He has been better in the last two seasons than he ever has before.

Be amazed if Mancio touched that one.

Seriously, it'll be Juve.Del Neri and a big club almost guarantee it and considering how reluctant Italians are to move abroad and throw in a bad experience in Spain already means he'll be about 90% sure to stay there, Milan have no room, Cass could only disrupt Inter's monopoly with his temperment and Roma have Totti so no. Juve

Seaneh wrote: »
    He's been a solid pro at Samp, this seems like the director is just being a dickhead.

Also, He has been better in the last two seasons than he ever has before.

Yeah, he's been superb. Turned the game in a minute against Fiorentina

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Roma have Totti so no.

They are friends again. Have been golfing and out to dinner several times in the last few months, even talk of Totti being called up for one last game soon so he can finally play alongside Cassano in an Italy shirt.

However, I couldn't see the Roma board taking him back.

Remember when they used to do stuff like this?

They are friends again. Have been golfing and out to dinner several times in the last few months, even talk of Totti being called up for one last game soon so he can finally play alongside Cassano in an Italy shirt.

However, I couldn't see the Roma board taking him back.

Didn't know that. It'll still be Juve

• Advertisement

Didn't know that. It'll still be Juve

If Milan don't have room, how are Juve going to fit him between their 5 billion forwards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

If they held out for 8 weeks they could sell him for AT LEAST €10million, make no sense at all.
    Surely they won't actually go through with it just because of an ego clash though?

I'd imagine they'll let him train again, but not play, and then sell him in January for a slightly cut price. Mental decision if they just kick him out.

If Milan don't have room, how are Juve going to fit him between their 5 billion forwards?

Ours are ****e. Yours are great. No DP after January. Sell Amauri now and Iaquinta later and get Dzeko in as a Pazzini + in the summer

No DP after January.
    Huh? Is he leaving in the winter window? I thought his contract was until june?
    Surely he will extend?

I read that he's definitely out in June and we'll tryand ship him in the window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Amauri and Iaquinta are so bad it's horrible to watch. That just leaves Quagliarella and old man Del Piero.
    I read that he's definitely out in June and we'll tryand ship him in the window

That's highly unlikely.

That's highly unlikely.

Read it on Goal.com so perhaps you'd tell me why it's unlikely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Because you read it on goal.com.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Because you read it on goal.com.

That's one reason. Another one is that it's Alessandro Del Piero, not just any player coming to the end of his contract. I could go on but this is off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Totti and Cassano have kissed and made up over the summer so you never know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

from Football-Italia.net

What this basically mean is that Antonio Cassano is going to be a free agent and can sign for anyone.

He would make ANY team in the world better for having him, I really hope Milan make a bid, God knows where they would fit him though.

Sign him up Roy

Pauleta wrote: »
    Totti and Cassano have kissed and made up over the summer so you never know.

And Vucinic, Adriano and Okaka are rumoured to want out of Roma in January so they could be on the look out for a forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Redknapp will be all over this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Master of whinge at it again?

Nailz wrote: »
    Master of whinge at it again?

In this case, Garrone (the president) seems to be in the wrong. Cassano has matured at Sampdoria. Cassano didn't turn up at some award ceremony because he wanted to stay home with his pregnant wife, he refused to apologise, and now Garrone wants to sack him. If that's really what happened, it's an overreaction by Garrone. There must be more to it than we're being told. Samp have called a press silence until it's all over so if we do hear anything, it'll probably be from Cassano's agent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Fair enough, if it's like that then he's only right. Like him as a player, deserves slightly better than Sampdoria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Bit late with this but its been confirmed, his contract is terminated.

Crazy decision by the chairman tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,279 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

And Vucinic, Adriano and Okaka are rumoured to want out of Roma in January so they could be on the look out for a forward.
    Adriano looks to me like he'd suit the LoI

Dempsey wrote: »
    Bit late with this but its been confirmed, his contract is terminated.

I can't find confirmation of that anywhere...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I can't find confirmation of that anywhere...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/9141336.stm
    1545 BST: Italy striker Antonio Cassano has had his contract terminated by Sampdoria following an argument with club president Riccardo Garrone. (AP)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Crazy decision but if the club feel he is more trouble than he is worth then its fair enough.

From his wiki page
    In the final days of the transfer window, he was linked with a move on loan to Fiorentina, that was however denied with an official statement from the club,[13] but was described by the media as Cassano's own refusal to leave Sampdoria.[14] This was confirmed by Cassano himself through an official statement published on Sampdoria's website, citing his relationship with club chairman Riccardo Garrone, his teammates and the team supporters as the main reason for his choice.
    On Saturday 30th October Sampdoria revealed they were in the process of terminating his contract

Things have changed quiet a lot in the last few months then i guess.

Dempsey wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it's not confirmed yet.
    MOG7 wrote: »
    Crazy decision but if the club feel he is more trouble than he is worth then its fair enough.
    They could just freeze him out of the squad until January and then sell him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

How can they just terminate his contract? They have to pay him off or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

They could just freeze him out of the squad until January and then sell him.

I know but thats what i'm saying, they obviously think he's more trouble than he's worth, someone says earlier in the thread that they could hold out an get €10 million for him, i'd be very surprised if they could demand that much for him, if they holf him until January i'd expect him to be gone for half that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

How can he be suspended from international football? Surely Sampdoria cannot do that???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

It's always nice to see a club is not afraid to take such an action.

That is the most annoying sig you've had to date.

Degag wrote: »
    How can he be suspended from international football? Surely Sampdoria cannot do that???

It's gone to a tribunal. He can't play or train until it's resolved.

Cassano 'insulted President'
    Details begin to leak out on how Antonio Cassano insulted President Riccardo Garrone and his teammates, but the contract termination could involve Real Madrid.

Sampdoria have put in a request to have Cassano’s contract terminated after a furious row with the patron, which would involve suspending him from training, playing and freezing his wages until the Lega tribunal gives its verdict in around two weeks.

The Gazzetta dello Sport claims it has new information on what exactly happened during this blazing row over his refusal to attend an awards ceremony.

“He stormed out, violently slamming the door, and began shouting as he walked towards the locker room,” said a source.

“He was swearing, calling the President ‘s***ty old man,’ and as he went past teammates Giampaolo Pazzini, Nicola Pozzi, Daniele Dessena, Guido Marilungo and Stefano Lucchini, he referred to them as ‘a***-lickers.’

“This was also witnessed by team manager Giorgio Ajazzone and such an incident robs the club of the opportunity to earn the full worth of the player through a sale, while it mines the credibility of the entire directorial staff.”

It appears, though, that the club was willing to forgive and forget if Cassano signed a formal, written apology - something he then refused to do, having already apologised to Garrone in a phone call.

However, there are some legal issues that Sampdoria perhaps did not consider when taking such drastic action.

It has to be a very serious breach of contract to prompt a termination, so it’s entirely possible the Lega tribunal will opt for an alternative sanction, such as a strong fine or suspension.

That would make it more likely for a January sale, as Juventus, Inter and Napoli are interested in a swoop, along with overseas options like Manchester City.

The Corriere dello Sport also points out that Real Madrid have a clause in their sale to Sampdoria meaning they are owed €5m if the player is sold on before 2013.

That still stands even if the contract is terminated, so firing Cassano could actually cost the Blucerchiati money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

A "Sh*tty old man." :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Cassano has apologised and is staying at Samp.

Advertisement