Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

potato problem

Options
  • 30-10-2010 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

recently changed veg supplier. All is grand but. When i cook the potato some of the outer potato is still hard although the inside is cooked. But if i make into chips their fine. Any ideas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i always found that the gas flushed vac pack bags gave a poor result so i demand loose spuds in a plastic bag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

recently changed veg supplier. All is grand but. When i cook the potato some of the outer potato is still hard although the inside is cooked. But if i make into chips their fine. Any ideas

Can be just growing conditions in particular fields or nutrition. Your still using the same potato variety?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭darkestlord

the spuds are loose. Its a different company supplying so probably a different potato. I thought it was the preservative but thats not it. If I make chips,there oka. The outer layer is crispy but grand. Just wondering if anyone had same problem

the spuds are loose. Its a different company supplying so probably a different potato. I thought it was the preservative but thats not it. If I make chips,there oka. The outer layer is crispy but grand. Just wondering if anyone had same problem

Are these peeled and washed potatoes? Or potatoes with the skin still on?

they come in peeled and washed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

This happened to me only once. Honesty is the best policy, let your veg supplier know youre not happy. The company im with fronted up at least to say they did have them in stock a little longer than usual and that was one of the causes of the hard outer layer. They were awful, and were replaced F.O.C.

I told them 2 weeks ago and still the same. They say they dont understand why its happening. I can't change supplier as its not my decision. A friend said those kind of potatoes are commonly used at the chippers. Dunno how true that is. Ive told them to change the potato so im hoping it will be better. Thanx everyone :)

I told them 2 weeks ago and still the same. They say they dont understand why its happening. I can't change supplier as its not my decision. A friend said those kind of potatoes are commonly used at the chippers. Dunno how true that is. Ive told them to change the potato so im hoping it will be better. Thanx everyone :)

Well check with them what variety of potatoes there supplying you. Maris Piper is the main one used for making chips. Alot use roosters for peeled cause there versatile. Certain potato varieties out there such as Lady Rosetta or Saturn are only good enough for crisp making, you could boil them for half a day and they still wouldn't be soft. There cheap do. When the person who decided to switch supplier, they should have drawn up a basic product specification for each veg so at least you know what you pay for.

thanx Corsendonk you've been really helpful. I've got a meeting with my boss on tuesday about it. Thanx again

Advertisement