Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Xbox live Banned for life.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

tsmyth wrote: »
    i personally disagree with almost all the posts here apart from the original poster. this was way too harsh of a ban. i cant believe some of the posters here whinging about poor microsoft and breaking their terms of use. he changed the skin colour of a fxxxing avator, big wow. some people are so up tight.

Is it really worth breaking the Terms of Service to change something as trivial as the colour of your avatar? Big wow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

pH wrote: »
    I presume because you mentioned chatting in lobbies it was a Gold account that was perma-banned - did Microsoft keep the money or did they refund?

Technically you broke their terms and conditions (although avatar modding is normally done on a PC editing the gamertag - no console modification is required) fine, but why do so many companies feel they can keep the money in this situation?

Legally, they can't. But who's going to take it to the small claims court, even? That's what they bank on when banking the money.

I used to play an online game. I paid to subscribe to the game. I got pointlessly banned by a psycho little Hitler mod. I asked for my money back. I didn't get it. So I wrote a quick email to the consumer association in the EU country in which the game was based.

Under EU and most national laws, it is illegal to retain moneys paid for a service when that service is no longer provided.

Result? I got the money returned immediately. What's more, I was able to email a friend still playing the game who went on to spread the word.

They might still try to bank the money owed to banned people now, but at least most of them know how to demand their money back.

I suggest the OP, if owed money, write a letter to Microsoft Ireland, cc'd to the Consumer Association and the European Consumer Centre Ireland, asking for their money back on the grounds that the service paid for is no longer being provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

Microsoft should just grow a pair and stop banning people for idiotic reasons!!

He changed his avatar's skin...BAN!
    He changed his avatar's clothing...BAN!
    He pressed "A" on his controller...BAN!

Srsly MS what are you trying to achieve?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I could equally argue that people are risking their profiles by breaking the terms of service for something as idiotic as an avatar mod. Nobody cares what your avatar looks like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

save money?

They look for signs of changes to their software, not for what those changes are. Unlike the *fantasy* legal examples people keep providing (murder vs stealing paper clips), Microsoft dont need to nor want to pay out for a court system to evaluate the seriousness of crimes and then pass suitable judgement, instead its kept black & white to save the cost and time of having to evaluate each individual case.

its cold impersonal and unfair at times but its cheap and efficiant.

I am happy things have become civil again, Dark Knight I am aware of the other posts, I only picked yours out as it was attracting alot of heated responses that might have overflowed. And I needed to show a fair hand (one person pro microsoft, one person anti microsoft).

I am aware of the other comments and my warning still stands. any post after my first in this thread that becomes offensive will get a week's ban

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    save money?

They look for signs of changes to their software, not for what those changes are. Unlike the *fantasy* legal examples people keep providing (murder vs stealing paper clips), Microsoft dont need to nor want to pay out for a court system to evaluate the seriousness of crimes and then pass suitable judgement, instead its kept black & white to save the cost and time of having to evaluate each individual case.

its cold impersonal and unfair at times but its cheap and efficiant.

think that pretty much hits the nail on the head.

there saying murder v stealing paper clips. these have different penalties, its more like speeding. you can get caught for doing 106km/h and get the same fine as someone doing 186km/h there the rules and you take the risk but when you get caught you know u broke the rules and have to pay the price.

any mod big or small results in a ban if you get caught you have to pay the price.
    you accept these terms when you agree with the T&C which anyone who downloaded the new dashboard today had to agree too again. ( read first 5 lines and clicked accept):rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

How about people read the terms of service and if you don't agree to it don't sign up.

If Microsoft enforce those terms don't run off crying. It's not the end of the world.

Jesus, just create a new profile and tell your kid not to mess around with trying to hack the system in any way. It's only for playing games. Or buy a PC where your kid can modify everything and have a crap experience because there's no control over anything on a lot of games. Then create a thread saying the games are unfair because everybody is cheating.

Are you a software developer? Has that hack been tested properly? A bug in an avatar could affect his or somebody elses online experience. Should Microsoft have to support hacked profiles if they cause a problem with other users? I'm not saying it did cause a problem but that'd be a good reason to ban without question. Why should they have to worry about hacked profiles? Who pays the support charges if a hacked profile causes other people a problem?

Sure it's only a small change. So are you 100% sure that small change will have no affect on anybody else.

Really?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

If someone is capable of modding their avatar, they're probably capable of modding more than their avatar.

Yeah it's a harsh ban, but it's not rocket science that modding isn't acceptable to Microsoft. If Microsoft see that someone is modding, its a warning sign that further modding may take place so its fairly reasonable that they'd want to nip this in the bud.

It's like the old speeding argument and complaining that you were only going 3 kilometres over the limit versus those people that drive two or three times the limit. Speeding is speeding, much like modding is modding.

Playing with fire, despite being pre-warned, and complaining about being burnt....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

jetpack101 wrote: »
    I simple asked why he got banned as we where not sure what the reason was.

The reply I got was that he had used unverified software to change his Avatar.
    Then they locked the post. Simple as that.

As for the comment of "They do not know that nothing else was done to his profile / system, etc..." thats a ridiculous statement. If they knew he changed his avatar then they know if he had done anything else. He didn't

As I have said before but you seem to be ignoring. I agree with a ban if you are in breach of the rules but the ban should fit the offence. A lifetime profile ban for changing an avatar is in my opinion way to harsh.

Its like going to prison for the rest of your life for breaking a read light.

He made a mistake and he knows that now. With some of the comments here I hope to god none of you every get into power.

He didn't just change the colour of the avatar. He altered the software.

You're minimising what he did. In order to do the one minor thing, he screwed around with the OS, which is a major thing.

He can still use the console so chill out a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Gon10

I banned my kid for putting xbox before homework

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭War Machine 539

I think with that post we can all agree TerrorFirmer is most definitly on a higher plain of existance than us mere mortals with wisdom we can barely comprehend, because if all of us had even a fraction of this logic we wouldn't be here fighting.

I advise those who disagree with the ban and think if was too harsh to read Terrors full post and not post here again.

I take my hat off to you sir.

I dont need to enlarge my text to make a point. I completely grasp the realities of rule breaking and consequences, Simply put I believe Microsoft should be focusing their time and energy into fixing Core Gameplay then worrying about trivialities, IE modifying an AVATAR. I simply think that they should get their priorities right, and ban the people who ARE making Xbox Live a less fun place to spend time. I respectfully disagree with your wish to not post here again, as this is a forum, where opinion should be freely expressed, Clearly many people on this feel opposite to I do, I agree a ban is deserved under the rules, what Im trying and clearly failing to convey is that there are more important issues Microsoft are ATTEMPTING to fix. I believe their time would be spent better in a pursuit to fix ACTUAL PROBLEMS with its system, not something as pedantic as an AVATAR.

Also I feel professing that everyone elses opinion is wrong, is hilarious. This seems to be a case of all opinions are equal, but mine is more equal. Think laterally instead of straight ahead, will get you quite far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I dont need to enlarge my text to make a point. I completely grasp the realities of rule breaking and consequences, Simply put I believe Microsoft should be focusing their time and energy into fixing Core Gameplay then worrying about trivialities, IE modifying an AVATAR. I simply think that they should get their priorities right, and ban the people who ARE making Xbox Live a less fun place to spend time. I respectfully disagree with your wish to not post here again, as this is a forum, where opinion should be freely expressed, Clearly many people on this feel opposite to I do, I agree a ban is deserved under the rules, what Im trying and clearly failing to convey is that there are more important issues Microsoft are ATTEMPTING to fix. I believe their time would be spent better in a pursuit to fix ACTUAL PROBLEMS with its system, not something as pedantic as an AVATAR.

Also I feel professing that everyone elses opinion is wrong, is hilarious. This seems to be a case of all opinions are equal, but mine is more equal. Think laterally instead of straight ahead, will get you quite far.

The problem isn't that he changed the colour of an avatar, it's that if he's prepared to amend the system to change an avatar, he's probably prepared to amend the system to amend basic gameplay. Seeing as the consequences for both are the same, he might as well do one or the other.

MS aren't going to use an expensive scalpel when they can use a cheap hammer. He now knows there are consequences, has felt a punishment, can continue on if he wants to. He should get over it. It's not a court with a trial. You sign up to the terms of service, and if you break them, you get kicked off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Snakeblood wrote: »
    In order to do the one minor thing, he screwed around with the OS, which is a major thing.

No, he didn't. He modified the profile file, not the NXE OS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

He broke the T & C. Microsoft don't know that's all he was going to do. It saves a lot of grief for other players who don't necesserily want to play with people who alter their xboxes for their own gain, these people need to be stopped at first sight.

Don't break your contract with Microsoft and you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭darkgamerdk

from mid October on u will not get away wit nything 90% of ban ways are done here

why bump up in sales for xmas simple

i speak from experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

from mid October on u will not get away wit nything 90% of ban ways are done here

i speak from experience

sorry but that's the worst first post ever in terms of gramer etc,read the rules regarding text chat.
    If you happen to be under the age of ten and English is not your first language Heavyballs is very sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i speak from experience

wait what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

i speak from experience

And writing with none at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

i speak from experience

To translate,

"From mid-October onwards, you will not get away with anything as 90% of the bans are handed out during this time.

Why? Simple, to increase sales for Xmas.

I speak from experience."

All these years in college studying languages are finally paying off :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

I always report tampered profiles.Carry's over from my pc days of fuktards using wall hacks and aimbots.Fuk off cheating ba$tards.

By all means jtag your xbox and run various bits of software on it(including pirated games) just so long as you know its an online ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Dublindude69

I did a google search of your user name and Xbox and found your post on Xbox forums.
    http://forums.xbox.com/34793301/PrintPost.aspx

I noticed your post gives your sons gamertag wingspan380 so I did a google search for that and Xbox and found this

http://wingspan380.thevickerys.eu/?page_id=34

This

http://wingspan380.thevickerys.eu/

This

http://wingspan380.thevickerys.eu/?page_id=103

and lets not forget this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwLAqp_-gQg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭shoveltooth

I did a google search of your user name and Xbox and found your post on Xbox forums.

I noticed your post gives your sons gamertag wingspan380 so I did a google search for that and Xbox and found this

This

This

and lets not forget this

The plot thickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

*gets beer from fridge and puts popcorn in microwave*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

This

This

and lets not forget this

lol detective dublindude !!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭coadyd

i my opinion should have been a console ban. I was playing COD WAW zombies online a few weeks ago in a public lobby when all of a sudden the screen changed colour and i had crazy weapons then a message came on the screen saying you are in Jail. can play the game on line anymore becuase my XP was set to - 2000000000000 or someting like that . so i will report every single modder hacker to xbox for the rest of my gaming days , still pissed off :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

I noticed your post gives your sons gamertag wingspan380 so I did a google search for that and Xbox and found this....

What's the world coming to when an innocent, young chap gets his profile banned just because his "friend" modded his profile... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Seems he was on the look out for a JTAG 360 for MW2 modding and wasn't just up to what the OP says he was. Talk about getting nailed :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

stimpson wrote: »
    Worse than Hitler. You wouldn't catch Hitler banning people from XBox Live for breaking the terms of their EULA.

Naw, he'd have them gassed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Seems he was on the look out for a JTAG 360 for MW2 modding and wasn't just up to what the OP says he was. Talk about getting nailed :P

Hat off to Steptoe and his team for getting this ban spot on. I stand by my initial stance that all modders/hackers should get immediate console bans from xbox live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Not so long ago he thought modding was bad.

Awwww....http://www.mw2forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5347

Advertisement