Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What restaurant is this?

• 30-10-2010 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all.

I was in Ennis last week and I walked past a lovely looking restaurant with a number of plaque things on the front having won various food awards. Its in the centre of the town sortof near Dunnes. Old stone walls at the front.

Does anyone know what restaurant this is and if its any good?

Thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sbros002

Can you remember any other shops near by? In the area near Dunnes you would have seen The Town Hall (Part of the Old Ground Hotel), Brogans, Temple Gate Hotel. Not sure if it's one of them you passed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Google street view is your friend, here is the town hall if thats not it just continue down the street until you find it

TownHall Ennis, Streetview

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm assuming you mean The Town Hall, it's got 7 "medal" type signs outside it (I just drove past it and counted :)), lovely restaurant, always top class, I don't think I've ever had a bad meal there http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=old+ground+hotel&ie=UTF8&hl=en&hq=old+ground+hotel&hnear=&ll=52.842536,-8.983226&spn=0,0.00327&z=19&layer=c&cbll=52.842536,-8.983226&panoid=Co26S-8KRP4u_xy0dBFs9A&cbp=12,132.23,,0,5

Then again, if it was the other side of Dunnes, it might have been Brogan's, which is also a lovely restaurant, good bar in the back also, but that doesn't have any plaques outside it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Sorry Evil Clown, I didn't see your reply until after I had posted, I had the thread left open when I left to go up town earlier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

violate wrote: »
    Hi all.

I was in Ennis last week and I walked past a lovely looking restaurant with a number of plaque things on the front having won various food awards. Its in the centre of the town sortof near Dunnes. Old stone walls at the front.

Does anyone know what restaurant this is and if its any good?

Thanks a lot

some of those plaque things are purchased - by restaurants so it appears like they have won awards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭croker95

Town Hall lives off a reputation gained a few years back. Not been at its best in a while now IMO.
    Brogans is more of an old fashioned menu but I know lots of people who love it.:)

I believe the plaques are for a recognised award group alright, but you have to pay for the right to be in it and for the plaque. I haven't been to the town hall for a while, but it used to be a fantastic restaurant, some of their dishes were quite salty, but that could be a personal opinion as well.

If you're looking for something cooked by Jamie Oliver go to The Town Hall, something by Delia Smith go to Brogan's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 violate

Thanks a million to all of you. Yeah, its definitely The Town Hall I passed alright. Might give it a go sometime soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭REPSOC1916

croker95 wrote: »
    Town Hall lives off a reputation gained a few years back. Not been at its best in a while now IMO.
    Brogans is more of an old fashioned menu but I know lots of people who love it.:)

Would have to agree re:Town Hall. Was in there in July for lunch. Wasnt really anything special.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭heathercat

REPSOC1916 wrote: »
    Would have to agree re:Town Hall. Was in there in July for lunch. Wasnt really anything special.

Yep. I was there a few months ago and rather not impressed. Overpriced, small portions, and the setting was neither comfy nor cozy. Food was not bad, but definitely not something special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

I like the Town Hall. They are a bit dear though. And yes, those awards are all purchased. Check the small print at the bottom of the plaque - it has a link to a website where you can buy one yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭frank gallagher

Supermacs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

croker95 wrote: »
    violate wrote: »
    Thanks a million to all of you. Yeah, its definitely The Town Hall I passed alright. Might give it a go sometime soon :)
    would advise you to look elsewhere,the comments here are very accurate
    REPSOC1916 wrote: »
    heathercat wrote: »
    Yep. I was there a few months ago and rather not impressed. Overpriced, small portions, and the setting was neither comfy nor cozy. Food was not bad, but definitely not something special.
    My eyesight is 20/20 but i could hardly see the menu the light was so Dim.

Pity i didnt see all these comments before going there last night... ye are all spot on,they're getting a bit like brogans now in bieng skimpy with the auld sphuds and veg... our meal was nothing to write home about and the lamb must have been on a diet before he hit my plate. verdict...... wont be going back in a hurry.

And ye're also correct in those plaques mean nothing,theres a pub/resaturaunt in north clare that has a couple of them hanging outside their premises,Last summer the kitchen was closed by a food inspector.......... nice!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

i liked it when i was the town hall, thought the food was good. but for me, its seasons 52 if i was going out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

If you are looking for a good restaurant check out www.yelp.ie

It's a great resource for reviews worldwide. And they moderate those to keep out people from trying to boost their own companies.

Oh yeah, since they are based in the states and freedom of speech applies, you get tonnes of bad reviews that aren't deleted.

I'm a fan sure.

Advertisement