Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New shoes - sore feet - :(

• 30-10-2010 1:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I recently purchased a new pair of shoes - Mavic Avenir - after much deliberation. They were 100 Euro in Cycle Surgery in Dundrum, 80 Euro cheaper than both the Mavic Pro Road and Sidi Ergo 2. The more expensive ones did feel a lot nicer on, but I couldn't justify the extra 80 quid.

The Avenir's are a size 9 (43 1/3) and they feel ok on. But after a few minutes cycling the outside of my foot starts to get a little sore. I didn't think they were too tight on, but in any case I loosed them a little but it didn't have much of an effect.

Is it just part of my foot getting used to them?

Would anyone have any tips on shoes, cleat position, breaking them in etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Happened to me too, also Mavics. First spin I thought my feet were going to fall off.

It goes away.

My advice would be keep your spins short until you get used to them, you don't want to cause any long lasting damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Cheers Dirk. Have only used them 3 times so far - a 10km just to see what they were like and then 2 short spins - 40 and 30km. I'll be heading out in the morning with Orwell with the step up group, am a little apprehensive over the shoes. I'll adjust the cleats again - can't seem to get the left one right, and that foot is hurting more than the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

It could be that your riding on the outside of your foot, are they carbon soled ? I can never get cleat position right, it's a long trial and error system. I found that my carbon soled shoes took about 3 months to break in..

Think it's a composite sole - "Energy Race 2D Outsole - The bi-density nylon and glassfibre outsole assures stiffness and comfort for great racing performance."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If in doubt, move cleats towards midsole. This will generally reduce the forces going through your foot.

• Advertisement

Moved the left one a little last night, and started off with the shoes a little looser this morning. I think that's most of it sorted - they felt fine, was out for 89kms with no problem.

The outside of the right foot is a little sore now after getting off the bike, walking on it I mean, might need to adjust that one slightly again.

Happy though - was starting to worry a little that the shoes would have to be returned / sold on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I had a simular issue with my right foot, I losened the bottom strap (closest to the little piggies) a tiny bit and concentrated on even pedal pressure from the inside and outside of my foot, I think it was a combination of the two as it seemed to sort it. Best of luck!

Advertisement