Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford beggers

Options
  • 30-10-2010 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Is wexford the scab a fag capital of Ireland? I was walking around the town today and got asked for a smoke about 10 times. and i wasnt even smoking. Also the request of a euro from numerous people. Maybe if they sang a song and did a dance I might throw them a cents max 25. Next person to ask me for a fag, will get a punch in the face. I will explain to judge and take my punishment. Worse spot ive come across for beggers in awhile. Wudnt get as much hassel at dublin docks. Honest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Silent Shrill

itchy_sack wrote: »
    Is wexford the scab a fag capital of Ireland? I was walking around the town today and got asked for a smoke about 10 times. and i wasnt even smoking. Also the request of a euro from numerous people. Maybe if they sang a song and did a dance I might throw them a cents max 25. Next person to ask me for a fag, will get a punch in the face. I will explain to judge and take my punishment. Worse spot ive come across for beggers in awhile. Wudnt get as much hassel at dublin docks. Honest.

Can't disagree with you there.........perhaps the facts of high "long-term unemployed" figures may have a bearing.........heck, the unemployed figures are bad enough!....though I'm not saying it's the unemployed folks fault.........but stats from around the world show that where there is an employment prob.......there's usually a prob with crime and begging.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

Seen a good few beggers around today in wexford ok, most werent irish also say that girl that seems to have a deformaty with her knee's being backways. She was begging and i spotted her in limerick a couple of weeks back and been told she was in cork too. seems strange.

As for the unemployment link, i dunno it might be a bit of a leap. I doubt most beggers and Fag Scabbers (who ask even when there is no sign of you smoking) Have recently lost any gainfull employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Seen a good few beggers around today in wexford ok, most werent irish also say that girl that seems to have a deformaty with her knee's being backways. She was begging and i spotted her in limerick a couple of weeks back and been told she was in cork too. seems strange.

She was in Cork City today begging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 itchy_sack

yeah ive seen her on the main street alright. she probably works for somebody who moves her around ireland. i dont tend to stare but i presume her deformity is real.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

Cannot be worse than Bray Surely. I work there and it is infested with feckers scabbing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

Maggie Hurley begging in Limerick and Cork lol she is branching her business out after stag parties so.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭WexfordWarrior

i seen that beggar girl going straight up the middle of the street and she was doing some sort of moaning so everybody would notice her... her deformity was a new one on me let me tell ya.... but she must be new to the area or as was said here already "shipped" in for a days work during the opera festival...... i live just off the main street ... dont see many beggers at all..and the only one who youd notice down there really is maggie hurley and shes only "buskin" :)

youd get a few kids askin you for fags every now and then but its not extreme or plentyful... my guess is that these beggers are pro's and have a close eye on "whatson" pamphlets to see what the story is around the country and flock to the masses whereever there is a festival on... :D

big business in begging these days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 itchy_sack

I was only down from Dublin for the weekend. I suppose with that opera festival being on beggers will be brought there. I was probably exageratting a bit. I wonder how much money is to be made from it. Might go around begging myself on weekends. At least them romanians are gone back.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

dont see many beggers at all..and the only one who youd notice down there really is maggie hurley and shes only "buskin" :)

youd get a few kids askin you for fags every now and then but its not extreme or plentyful... my guess is that these beggers are pro's and have a close eye on "whatson" pamphlets to see what the story is around the country and flock to the masses whereever there is a festival on... :D

big business in begging these days...

Id second that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭doleman2010

Most of these artists make 200-300 euros a day on the street , plus the dole money and the free house or apt from the hse or corpo .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I don't think u should ever give money to beggers.

If they are been looked after by the state they should not be then out begging.

If they are not been looked after by the state, then they prob have no right to be in ireland in the first place and should be deported home if not irish.

Then u get the irish mostly, who have no fixed address so its very hard for them to get state aid which is a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭'scorthy

I think it's sad that people have to prostitute themselves or are forced by others into a life of beggary; but I agree with most of the previous comments, albeit some a little un-Christian (there but for the grace of God etc..).
    The most poignant aspect of society in Ireland today is that those who are in NEED are too proud to beg and some are surely living lives of quiet desperation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 RickBockwinkle

I was asked for "a couple of euro" by the same guy two weeks in a row who needed it to "get to Newry". If the dude was travelling to Newry that often, You'd think he'd have an idea of how much money he needed.

Needless to say, I gave him nothing.

Advertisement