Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic v St Johnstone - Monkey Chants?

• 30-10-2010 1:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else hearing this?

I just turned on the game and every time the Korean(?) Celtic player touches the ball it sounds like monkey chants. :mad: What the f**k?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

What channel is it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Not watching the game but thats very poor behaviour. Cha Du-Ri I presume it's being aimed at is it? The right back?

Edit; If its the Korean then i'm guessing Ki, i thought the op said Chinese.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

What channel is it on?

ESPN i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Am I missing something here? Doesn't exactly strike me as racial hatred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

CSF wrote: »
    Am I missing something here? Doesn't exactly strike me as racial hatred.

?

Youre watching the match and cant hear the chants?

Or youve your blinders on and are pretending that you dont know how monkey chants aimed at a player are offensive?

edit: Shocking stuff btw, scum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

What channel is it on?

Sounds like Ki, that's what the commentator is saying, might be saying Ri though.

Very poor stuff, wasn't expecting to hear that when I turned it on. I'll have to record the replay to see but I'm almost 100% sure they were monkey chants. He had the ball and they were doing it, he passed they stopped, he got the ball again and it started again.

Wouldn't suprise me if ESPN edited them out of the replay as it's offensive.

?

Youre watching the match and cant hear the chants?

Or youve your blinders on and are pretending that you dont know how monkey chants aimed at a player are offensive?
    Monkey chants aimed at a player are offensive in certain circumstances. If monkey chants were directed at Wayne Rooney I don't think people would be up in arms. The same applies here really. Monkey chants have absolutely nothing to do with him being from Korea, unless I'm missing something, its hardly racism. If its to do with anything else that isn't bigotry, I'm sure he can deal with it.

Fair enough, the logic of aiming monkey chants at a Korean is also lost on me, but the fans are hardly doing it affectionately, ya know?

Fair enough, the logic of aiming monkey chants at a Korean is also lost on me, but the fans are hardly doing it affectionately, ya know?
    Yeah I know that, but abusing a player isn't the worst thing in the world. Its the norm in football. There are however certain realms that shouldn't be entered eg. racism and homophobia but I don't really think that comes into play here. If the guy was black I'd be absolutely outraged, but as you said yourself, he is Korean, making monkey chants at him is no different to doing it to John O'Shea. Unless there is something we're missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Yeah I know that, but abusing a player isn't the worst thing in the world. Its the norm in football. There are however certain realms that shouldn't be entered eg. racism and homophobia but I don't really think that comes into play here. If the guy was black I'd be absolutely outraged, but as you said yourself, he is Korean, making monkey chants at him is no different to doing it to John O'Shea. Unless there is something we're missing.
    Monkey chants aimed at a player are offensive in certain circumstances. If monkey chants were directed at Wayne Rooney I don't think people would be up in arms. The same applies here really. Monkey chants have absolutely nothing to do with him being from Korea, unless I'm missing something, its hardly racism. If its to do with anything else that isn't bigotry, I'm sure he can deal with it.

I'm sorry but making monkey chants/noises at anyone insinuates they are at a lower level then other people that is racism that is like how the nazi's believed the Aryan race were above all others(Apart from the british race who he coincedentally believed were equals).

• Advertisement

Yeah there's that too, its early yet buddy, dont expect is to be too logical :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

They were dog chants aimed at the Korean players Ki and Cha Du Ri. As you know it's not unusual to eat dog in Korea. Sickening to hear. Not a chance the SFA will follow it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

They obviously didn't read Forster's give racisim the red card t-shirt :rolleyes:

I'm sorry but making monkey chants/noises at anyone insinuates they are at a lower level then other people that is racism that is like how the nazi's believed the Aryan race were above all others(Apart from the british race who he coincedentally believed were equals).
    ColeTrain wrote: »
    They were dog chants aimed at the Korean players Ki and Cha Du Ri. As you know it's not unusual to eat dog in Korea. Sickening to hear. Not a chance the SFA will follow it up.
    Seriously, get a grip. Even if the second reason is true, you could hardly put that under the term racial hatred. Kick racism out of football, but don't fill a gun with ammo for over PC do-gooders. Lets keep these kind of threads for times when players actually are being racially abused.

Seriously, get a grip. Even if the second reason is true, you could hardly put that under the term racial hatred. Kick racism out of football, but don't fill a gun with ammo for over PC do-gooders. Lets keep these kind of threads for times when players actually are being racially abused.

Nah I think you should get a grip. If someone threw potatoes at an Irish player there would be people up in arms. There is no place at a football game for that nonsense.

Also why wouldn't it be true ? It was on ESPN, heard it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭gnolan

Correct me if i'm wrong (and i probably am), but did United supporters not have an affectionate chant for Park Ji Sung; something along the lines of "he shoots, he scores, he'll eat you Labradors, he's Park Ji Sung".

Either way, monkey chants at a Korean is one of the most ridiculous things i've heard, shows just how stupid these people are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Seriously if this is true its absolutely disgusting

gnolan wrote: »
    Correct me if i'm wrong (and i probably am), but did United supporters not have an affectionate chant for Park Ji Sung; something along the lines of "he shoots, he scores, he'll eat you Labradors, he's Park Ji Sung".

Either way, monkey chants at a Korean is one of the most ridiculous things i've heard, shows just how stupid these people are.

Dog chants not monkey.

Also, Half the Utd fans are Korean so that doesn't count :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I'd love to hear him in an interview after the game that goes something like this.
    Reporter how do you feel after that match with the chants that were aimed at you.

Player: ......Hungry

:pac:
    Show no emotion and they'll realise they can't get to him and they will get bored and stop doing it

Nah I think you should get a grip. If someone threw potatoes at an Irish player there would be people up in arms. There is no place at a football game for that nonsense.

Only because it is a missile thrown at a player. I'd seriously hope people wouldn't get up in arms if fans were holding up potatoes at a player because he was Irish. Society hasn't become that ridiculous, has it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Seriously if this is true its absolutely disgusting

It was as clear as day right at the end of the game - it's not monkey chants though, as Cole Train said the St Johnstone fans were barking like dogs at Ki and Cha Du Ri.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Not really, George Bush looks like a monkey and there are more than a few pictures around online making comparisons.

Only because it is a missile thrown at a player. I'd seriously hope people wouldn't get up in arms if fans were holding up potatoes at a player because he was Irish. Society hasn't become that ridiculous, has it?

Don't really understand what you're trying to put across here. Do you think the chants today were acceptable?

Ahhhhh nothing like a racist apologist for a bit of craic on a Saturday afternoon.

Flick through your TV there and see are there any Black and White Minstrels on whilst you give your woman a slap or two for not having your ironing done.

Don't really understand what you're trying to put across here. Do you think the chants today were acceptable?
    I definitely don't think its right, but you could say that about most abusive chanting. Do I think its the kind of thing people should be up in arms about? No not particularly.

I definitely don't think its right, but you could say that about most abusive chanting. Do I think its the kind of thing people should be up in arms about? No not particularly.
    Lets keep these kind of threads for times when players actually are being racially abused.

You do think it's wrong?! Then what's the problem here? You posted the above quote telling people to close this. If you're under sensitive on this then fair enough but don't tell people what is racist enough to start a thread on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

So it was barking noises! I dont see anything wrong. It would be like an Irish person going to Israel and them make pig noises because of our love of pigs and pig related foods :cool:

Pauleta wrote: »
    So it was barking noises! I dont see anything wrong. It would be like an Irish person going to Israel and them make pig noises because of our love of pigs and pig related foods :cool:
    This is actually suprisingly accurate. Making references to the culinary habits of a footballer's nation can't be legitimately considered racial hatred. It'd be different if the implication was that Koreans were dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Did someone throw a dog at a Celtic player?:eek:

I guess United fans are bigots for referring to eating dogs as they do in pretty much any song they have about Park.

• Advertisement

Pauleta wrote: »

Great comparison, I cant help but think if that happened to me Id.. ya know.. laugh.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

gnolan wrote: »

There's loads of them tbh

Iago wrote: »
    There's loads of them tbh

I love this place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

...and you think that makes it alright???

...and you're a Moderator on here???

So it's ok to be the racist on here folks but don't dare challenge the racists, that's against the rules.

They're not racist chants, they're statements of fact. It's not restricted to Korea obviously but that doesn't mean it's any less true.

If they were racist chants do you not think there would be an outpouring of condemnation from the club/player/association?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

If they were racist chants do you not think there would be an outpouring of condemnation from the club/player/association?

Hello???

http://www.perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk/...php?param=1086

• Advertisement

I think a lot of posters have missed the point here. The fans that chanted the abuse at Ki and Cha hardly thought to themselves 'It's only a dog chant, we won't get done for racism'. Posters on here are giving far too much intellectual credit to the St.Johnstone fan that came out with this bile.

They wanted to get at the players in whatever way they could. No player should be targeted because of their nationality or creed, even their own club have come out with a statement against it when they didn't have to. All on the day that was "Show racism the red card". Ironic.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Did someone throw a dog at a Celtic player?:eek:

I guess United fans are bigots for referring to eating dogs as they do in pretty much any song they have about Park.

You obviously know what a potato sounds like then :rolleyes:

There has been.

Just to clarify... is it ok to be a racist but not ok to call someone a racist on boards.ie?

Advertisement