Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mages in 4.0

Options
  • 30-10-2010 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if a thread is already up but wanted to chat to other high tier mages.

I'm hearing frost is viable but not finding anyyone saying if its good or not, just saying " you can use it"

I'm rocking fire at the moment with the little time I'm on, but I was never a big fan of Arcane and was wondering if frost is viable, might give it a lash

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

TheDoc wrote: »
    Sorry if a thread is already up but wanted to chat to other high tier mages.

I'm hearing frost is viable but not finding anyyone saying if its good or not, just saying " you can use it"

I'm rocking fire at the moment with the little time I'm on, but I was never a big fan of Arcane and was wondering if frost is viable, might give it a lash

pvp or pve?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Seriously considering leveling my mage,i must admit frost is fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Again, and im sick of saying it at this stage, its pointless having this discussion till level 85.

Untill then:

It depends on what you want to do.

If you want to play for fun, then sure, frost is 'viable'. It's never going to be as effective as fire in pve just like arcane is never going to be as effective as frost in pvp.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Dustaz wrote: »
    Again, and im sick of saying it at this stage, its pointless having this discussion till level 85.

Untill then:

It depends on what you want to do.

If you want to play for fun, then sure, frost is 'viable'. It's never going to be as effective as fire in pve just like arcane is never going to be as effective as frost in pvp.

I know what your saying, but I was hearing 2 firemags are blowing up icc" then im hearing "frost mages are blowing **** up" but I just want a definitive answer.

Because I would like to go through icc hard mode once as a frost mage for lols ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Frost is very boring for PVE, it's 2 buttons and that's it really, frost bolt and frostfire bolt when it procs, oh and icy veins I suppose if you're arsed at all or even still awake at that stage :D

If you're really bored, you can probably come above other classes in dps just by spamming Ice Lance for a laugh and nothing else.

It's great for pvp though, no doubt about it, as is both arcane and fire. Mages rule the BG's at the moment, well so long as you're semi skilled at least and stick to range and avoid enemies - easy to think you're an invincible tank at times :)

Do what you want, mess around with specs, it all amounts to not much at all at the moment until the expansion is released so just have fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Want to do 150k crits on Blood Queen?. Go arcane. Only downer is arcane aoe is sucky now, but hey, did I mention 150k crits on BQ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

think if i come back for the expansion it will be purely to level a mage up.

always wanted to try one and never bothered before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Mages are in a REALLY good state at the moment. They're absolutely destroying the meters and we have a Mage in our Guild at the moment who's completing owning up WoL ICC 25 (HC) meters.

I'll try and get on the Armory on my Uni's limited bandwidth - if not you should check out "Hondosmom" on Balnazzar. Guild is <Paparazzi>.

EDIT: Armory http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Balnazzar&cn=Hondosmom&gn=Paparazzi. Also, the Armory doesn't show it but every piece of Hondo's gear is reforged and he's the best Mage I've played with in a very long time. If you want you can /w him online and ask questions and I'm 100% sure he'd be willing and would love to help. Just say you were talking to me "Ushra".

Also, we have a Raid tonight so you've got a strong chance of talking to our other 2 Mages, Wally and Whiplasher too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I know what your saying, but I was hearing 2 firemags are blowing up icc" then im hearing "frost mages are blowing **** up" but I just want a definitive answer.

Because I would like to go through icc hard mode once as a frost mage for lols ;)

Just spec frost as your offspec and go blow your muck. Its not like your raiding bleeding edge stuff and every scrap of dps counts. Just have the craic:)

edit: Its bizzarre but even after 2 years of wrath my first instinct was "pfft, gl with frost in icc, everything will be frost immune. then i remembered its wrath of the casual king:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Mages are in a REALLY good state at the moment. They're absolutely destroying the meters and we have a Mage in our Guild at the moment who's completing owning up WoL ICC 25 (HC) meters.

I'll try and get on the Armory on my Uni's limited bandwidth - if not you should check out "Hondosmom" on Balnazzar. Guild is <Paparazzi>.

EDIT: Armory http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Balnazzar&cn=Hondosmom&gn=Paparazzi. Also, the Armory doesn't show it but every piece of Hondo's gear is reforged and he's the best Mage I've played with in a very long time. If you want you can /w him online and ask questions and I'm 100% sure he'd be willing and would love to help. Just say you were talking to me "Ushra".

Also, we have a Raid tonight so you've got a strong chance of talking to our other 2 Mages, Wally and Whiplasher too.

Thats sound cheers, does your guild run streams of raid?

Would love to see a frostmage in action in ICC from their point of view

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

http://warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=158257

That was a LK 10 man heroic kill before 4.0 was released.

edit: Found the above posters guild on WoL: http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/539/

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

hit lk with a 56k crit the other night as arcane and thats with a lot of room for improvement gearwise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Thats sound cheers, does your guild run streams of raid?

Would love to see a frostmage in action in ICC from their point of view

Yes, we do. My Xfire stream is @ Godsinister and one of our Warriors is @ needsy.

ie www.xfire.com/live_video/[name]

The Mage I was actually referring to also streams, don't know his name though.

On topic - Our top Mage hit a 150K crit as Arcane on Saurfang last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 UberGeneration

i see A LOT of fire mages at the moment in random groups with dungeon finder! kicking ass i must say !

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Leveling my mage atm and ive yet to not be top dps in randoms with fire spec.
    Usually between 40% - 50% of the total party damage.
    Ive never had a character pumping out such numbers as i lvl up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

sup aoe

Advertisement