Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beggars in galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Ficheall wrote: »
    They're just early trick-or-treaters.

was a bit confused all right. the roma women seem to be always in costume and this time were dancing their way down the street waving the begging cup.

would they not go house to house like the travellers used to do before welfare payments became so generous?

dollybird2 wrote: »
    Speaking of begging I was accosted today in my car by warty nora! Stopped at the red traffic light outside Logues, lit a cigarette, next thing Nora's head is in the window asking for a fag. She then took the one in my mouth before heading away off again!

I saw her saturday afternoon sitting at a street cafe and reading the Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Fuinseog wrote: »
    was a bit confused all right. the roma women seem to be always in costume and this time were dancing their way down the street waving the begging cup.

Don't forget the fact that when the pubs start closing they start whoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

The thing is, they wouldn't be doing it if people didn't give them money. People just need to stop doing that. But they won't, because they think they can get rid of their guilty conscience by putting a euro in a cup held by some Roma woman outside the pub. That euro could actually go to a real charity and do some real good for people who need it. But that isn't as handy, is it? And people won't see you do it.

Idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Yes, it's a free market, essentially, remove the 'demand' and the 'supply' will follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Don't forget the fact that when the pubs start closing they start whoring.

This post is obnoxious

inisboffin wrote: »
    This post is obnoxious

Please report any posts which you find offensive, and leave the rest to the moderation team.

/moderation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

i hate pushy beggers,the ones that sit there with a cup and say nout i have no problem with and actually i usually give them what little money i have,but the ones sitting under an atm hassling you,or the ones at traffic lights or using their kids disgust me,also Concern using their cheap college staff to harrass me in the middle of the street,i thought this form of begging was illegal.And for the record i include the irish beggers in this not just non nationals

Please report any posts which you find offensive, and leave the rest to the moderation team.

/moderation

I did report it. Didn't hear anything back or see anything different though, even though it is blatently going against this in the charter
    "9. Do not use derogatory terms when referring to members of racial, ethnic or cultural groups". Therefore I went ahead and commented.
    Am I not allowed to say that I found the post obnoxious? (not being funny, genuinely asking this question, as I did not attack the poster in any way, just their post)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

I did report it. Didn't hear anything back or see anything different though, even though it is blatently going against this in the charter
    "9. Do not use derogatory terms when referring to members of racial, ethnic or cultural groups". Therefore I went ahead and commented.
    Am I not allowed to say that I found the post obnoxious? (not being funny, genuinely asking this question, as I did not attack the poster in any way, just their post)

whats derogatory about the OP,all he said was non nationals ?

• Advertisement

AnneFrank wrote: »
    whats derogatory about the OP,all he said was non nationals ?

I'll send you a pm as this is off topic, and I am playing it by the book on this one, as it really got under my skin.

Don't quote me regulations! I co-chaired the committee that reviewed the recommendation to revise the color of the book that regulation's in.

We kept it gray.

Seriously though... pm sent...

We kept it gray.

Seriously though... pm sent...

It's spelled 'grey' here. Are you foreign or something? *ducks*:D:D

It's spelled 'grey' here. Are you foreign or something? *ducks*:D:D

copy+paste from IMDB :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 murchadh

was out and about begging last night and was struck by the amount of assholes, mostly non-intelligent nationals sitting on the streets in their own bodily fluids. this appears to be the new galway.

Only joking, you guys are right. Three years ago this was the richest country in Europe, and now we're skint. It was the fargin' Romanians. Wait until you all get to wherever you have to emigrate to, then you can all be happy, and not have to whine on an anonymous bulletin board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

murchadh wrote: »
    Three years ago this was the richest country in Europe,

You believed that lie?

Yip. That and the one about the potatoes turning black in the ground if we voted against Lisbon, Anglo needed bailing out, Bertie is a fine man and anything else that appeared in the meeja. Hook, line and s(t)inker.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

murchadh wrote: »
    Only joking, you guys are right. Three years ago this was the richest country in Europe, and now we're skint. It was the fargin' Romanians. Wait until you all get to wherever you have to emigrate to, then you can all be happy, and not have to whine on an anonymous bulletin board.

Nobody mentioned Romanians.

And the old "whinging on anonymous bulletin boards" one, how original. If it makes you feel any better, I tell lots of beggars that what they are doing is unacceptable to their faces as well.

If they're Romanian or Bulgarian citizens, they're EU nationals and can't be deported. You can thank your overlords in Brussels.

Should I underline the relevant word.
    Boom! And you sound so tough! We are not worthy.

dapto1 wrote: »
    Nobody mentioned Romanians.

And the old "whinging on anonymous bulletin boards" one, how original. If it makes you feel any better, I tell lots of beggars that what they are doing is unacceptable to their faces as well.

they would proabably put a gypsy curse on you.

• Advertisement

Nora put a spell on me...

This post is obnoxious

I'm not retracting it or apologising for it. I worked in a bar in the center of town, and I saw many of the same Roma women who beg on the streets both during the day and at night soliciting men on Middle Street, quite often beside the church there, or up beside the Malt House restaurant between 2 and 4am.

Be as offended as you want, but I saw what I saw.

I'm not retracting it or apologising for it. I worked in a bar in the center of town, and I saw many of the same Roma women who beg on the streets both during the day and at night soliciting men on Middle Street, quite often beside the church there, or up beside the Malt House restaurant between 2 and 4am.

Be as offended as you want, but I saw what I saw.

Your post read, and still reads as a complete generalisation, not talking about specific people, rather an entire gender and ethnic/cultural group. Besides just because you say you saw something on an internet board doesn't make it a) completely accurate, and b) true.

And don't you have a mod warning for this post?:mad:

Your post read, and still reads as a complete generalisation, not talking about specific people, rather an entire gender and ethnic/cultural group. Besides just because you say you saw something on an internet board doesn't make it a) completely accurate, and b) true.

And don't you have a mod warning for this post?:mad:

I see it's easier to call me a liar than to discuss the actions of a certain group of Roma that operates in the city.

You can be as sanctimonious in your outrage as you want, but I'm not changing my opinion because you don't happen to like it.

Any mod warning I may or may have not received is my business, not yours.

I see it's easier to call me a liar than to discuss the actions of a certain group of Roma that operates in the city.

You can be as sanctimonious in your outrage as you want, but I'm not changing my opinion because you don't happen to like it.

Any mod warning I may or may have not received is my business, not yours.

Call me sanctimonious all you want but you still generalised and made an offensive comment about an entire group (you did not even say 'certain group of Roma' in your original post). Your post goes against the charter for this forum too, and the big yellow flag on your post DOES make it the business of other people on the thread, insofar as the mods felt like giving you a warning.

Unless you post proof of A) 'frequent' sexual intercourse occuring between 2-4am at by the malthouse B) documented ethnic origin of the 'prostitutes' you claim to be soliciting C) prove that these 'Johns' were strangers and not partners, then why should I believe you seeing as I have never witnessed it myself. Oh and not sure if you even can post that on here either. IMO You are either a brand new poster who is off to a bang getting a yellow card within your first ten posts, or someone who got banned and had to reinvent themselves in order to post stuff like this.

Again, your post is a huge offensive generalisation, and if you can't see that then that's pretty sad.

OK folks, lets take the temperature down a notch.

Claiming all Roma women are 'whores' is a lot different to claiming to have witnessed some women soliciting.

Raging_Ninja has now made what amounts to an unverifiable claim, which doesn't disparage any one person in particular, or any one group in general, so you can take it or leave it.

/moderation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

Call me sanctimonious all you want but you still generalised and made an offensive comment about an entire group (you did not even say 'certain group of Roma' in your original post). Your post goes against the charter for this forum too, and the big yellow flag on your post DOES make it the business of other people on the thread, insofar as the mods felt like giving you a warning.

Unless you post proof of A) 'frequent' sexual intercourse occuring between 2-4am at by the malthouse B) documented ethnic origin of the 'prostitutes' you claim to be soliciting C) prove that these 'Johns' were strangers and not partners, then why should I believe you seeing as I have never witnessed it myself. Oh and not sure if you even can post that on here either. IMO You are either a brand new poster who is off to a bang getting a yellow card within your first ten posts, or someone who got banned and had to reinvent themselves in order to post stuff like this.

Again, your post is a huge offensive generalisation, and if you can't see that then that's pretty sad.

Hey Sanctimonious. !!:p

why should I believe you seeing as I have never witnessed it myself.

Oh, the good old 'I didn't see it so it didn't happen' argument. I suggest you go and look some Saturday nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Denzil2222

Fuinseog wrote: »
    was out and about last night and was struck by the amount of homeless people, mostly non nationals sitting on the streets begging. this appears to be new enough to galway.

This has been a problem in galway for years, i remember being in galway around 1996 and i was surprised at all the homeless around the square

• Advertisement

Claiming all Roma women are 'whores' is a lot different to claiming to have witnessed some women soliciting.

/moderation

Thank you. That was my point and problem with RN's first post, though the OP failed to address it and did qualify their story.

Advertisement