Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TT Bike Recommendation

• 30-10-2010 2:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm looking to get a TT bike and would appreciate some feedback from those in the know. I will be mainly using it for Triathlon (distances up to 90km) but would also be using it for local time trials. I have a budget of E3k (to include aero helmet & pedals). I have been looking for the past few months now (boardering on obsessive).

I had narrowed choice down to Cervelo P2 or Cube Aerium HPC. I can get the Cube for closer to E3k. Was thinking I could stick a set of Mavic Carbones on the Cervelo but not sure about the rest of the components that Jedi Sports fit onto the bike - it seems like too good a price to be true (i.e. Cyclelogical were quoting E2.2k for the frame alone!)

I had also considered a Dolan frame but finding it very difficult to source one. Would not rule out second hand either and indeed have spent much of my time on donedeal and various bike buy and sell forums.

Anyways, basically looking for recommendations for a TT bike around the E3k mark and whether I would be better off sourcing a frame seperately and building it from scratch myself?

Thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Very limited sizes in both bikes. Is your size available?

And there ends my knowledge of TT bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I would go for a cheaper bike and a power meter. That way you can work through the whole power vs aerodynamics thing with proper numbers rather than vague feel.

Fit is critical, and some people are much harder to fit than others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭MayoRoadRunner

Very limited sizes in both bikes. Is your size available?

And there ends my knowledge of TT bikes.

Hi Pete, size would be 57-58 on road bike & 54-55 on TT bike (i'm told). Both bikes available in my size on various different sites to those listed above.

Lumen wrote: »
    I would go for a cheaper bike and a power meter. That way you can work through the whole power vs aerodynamics thing with proper numbers rather than vague feel.

Fit is critical, and some people are much harder to fit than others.

Thanks for advice Lumen. Don't think i'm ready to step up to power just yet. Happy to spend another couple of seasons with HR and then maybe decide on power. I feel power will overly complicate things for the limited level of knowledge I have right now (cycling 2 years).
    Yes, agree that fit is important hence would ideally like to buy from a bricks and mortar shop. Hard to justify paying twice the online price though. Got fitted on the Cube and 55 is ideal size for me. Finding it difficult to find a shop that stocks a p2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

what about a Canyon?

tour de france quality, and stunningly beautiful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paddyduc

Hi folks,

I'm looking to get a TT bike and would appreciate some feedback from those in the know. I will be mainly using it for Triathlon (distances up to 90km) but would also be using it for local time trials. I have a budget of E3k (to include aero helmet & pedals). I have been looking for the past few months now (boardering on obsessive).

I had narrowed choice down to Cervelo P2 or Cube Aerium HPC. I can get the Cube for closer to E3k. Was thinking I could stick a set of Mavic Carbones on the Cervelo but not sure about the rest of the components that Jedi Sports fit onto the bike - it seems like too good a price to be true (i.e. Cyclelogical were quoting E2.2k for the frame alone!)

I had also considered a Dolan frame but finding it very difficult to source one. Would not rule out second hand either and indeed have spent much of my time on donedeal and various bike buy and sell forums.

Anyways, basically looking for recommendations for a TT bike around the E3k mark and whether I would be better off sourcing a frame seperately and building it from scratch myself?

Thanks in advance:)

One of these is worth considering and only up the road from you.
    http://www.chaindrivencycles.com/bottecchia_crono.html

also selling Dolan framesets in store.

what about a Canyon?

tour de france quality, and stunningly beautiful

Wow cheers Chris, that is a seriously good looking bike! Do you know of anyone that stocks them in Eire? Has swiftly moved to top of wish list now! If it had all carbon aero bars would be dead set on it! cheers again

paddyduc wrote: »
    One of these is worth considering and only up the road from you.
    http://www.chaindrivencycles.com/bottecchia_crono.html

also selling Dolan framesets in store.

Cheers Paddy, Yes have been in that shop a few times. Will call in again to ask re Dolan build options so thanks for the heads up. Not gone on the Bottecchia but appreciate your suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Thanks for advice Lumen. Don't think i'm ready to step up to power just yet. Happy to spend another couple of seasons with HR and then maybe decide on power. I feel power will overly complicate things for the limited level of knowledge I have right now (cycling 2 years).
    I agree with Lumen. You'll get a great TT bike about 2k and spend the rest on the PM. Even if you never use it for training, a PM is invaluable in TTs/triathlons. You can ride at you threshold power from the gun no blowing up or underachieving. It's almost cheating. ;) I put in a faster 40k time this year than some guys who are better TTers than me, purely because I rode at exactly my threshold for 1 full hour.

Diarmuid wrote: »
    I agree with Lumen. You'll get a great TT bike about 2k and spend the rest on the PM. Even if you never use it for training, a PM is invaluable in TTs/triathlons. You can ride at you threshold power from the gun no blowing up or underachieving. It's almost cheating. ;) I put in a faster 40k time this year than some guys who are better TTers than me, purely because I rode at exactly my threshold for 1 full hour.

Cheers Diarmuid, ya I had considered going with power but had a chat with Skeff a few months ago who said he does'nt use it and considered it very expensive for what it is. Given that Skeff is Leinster TT champion and does'nt use power it shows that fast times can be acheived without it. Notwithstanding all that I may dabble with power next summer (funds permitting!) but for now would like to get a 3k TT bike. Just out of interest what would you recommend in the 2k price range? Thanks

• Advertisement

Wow cheers Chris, that is a seriously good looking bike! Do you know of anyone that stocks them in Eire? Has swiftly moved to top of wish list now! If it had all carbon aero bars would be dead set on it! cheers again

Canyon only sell over the web, that's why they're so cheap

They supply the bikes to the omega pharma pro team, so you know their good

The prices are kinda scary, how cheap they are, I heard they're the biggest selling bike brand in mainland Europe

Just because they are german, does not mean you can't ring them, they have English speaking guys on the phone

Canyon only sell over the web, that's why they're so cheap

They supply the bikes to the omega pharma pro team, so you know their good

The prices are kinda scary, how cheap they are, I heard they're the biggest selling bike brand in mainland Europe

Just because they are german, does not mean you can't ring them, they have English speaking guys on the phone

Thanks Chris, will give them a call on Monday:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Seen the Canyon in the flesh. Very nice for the money. Service very good from them also.

You should ask Tunney about a Planet X. He really recommends them.

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Seen the Canyon in the flesh. Very nice for the money. Service very good from them also.

You should ask Tunney about a Planet X. He really recommends them.

TBH Quigs i'm suprised its taken 14 posts for PX to be mentioned :D. Have seen them in the flesh and not really gone on them tbh. They look like savage value and I see they have the exocet (?) for 2k sterling which is a sweet deal. PX not for me though. I have a boardman team carbon road bike and they are getting really common so would like something a bit different (and your man had his eyea on a Cervelo I hear you say!:rolleyes:)

Cheers Diarmuid, ya I had considered going with power but had a chat with Skeff a few months ago who said he does'nt use it and considered it very expensive for what it is. Given that Skeff is Leinster TT champion and does'nt use power it shows that fast times can be acheived without it.

This is true, however Skeff also eats squirrels for breakfast so you don't want to copy everything he does.

What do you want from a bike? Good looks? Aero? What depth wheels are you going to run? Tubs or clinchers?

Maybe start with the wheel budget and work backwards. No point in having a £3k bike with box section wheels and crap aerobars.

There is a certain logic in buying a cheap used frame and then upgrading that later. If you're in any way unsure about fit, you don't want to commit serious money to a frame that ends up being the wrong size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Cheers Diarmuid, ya I had considered going with power but had a chat with Skeff a few months ago who said he does'nt use it and considered it very expensive for what it is. Given that Skeff is Leinster TT champion and does'nt use power it shows that fast times can be acheived without it. Notwithstanding all that I may dabble with power next summer (funds permitting!) but for now would like to get a 3k TT bike. Just out of interest what would you recommend in the 2k price range? Thanks

Did someone else not post the fastest time but then get DQed for a non-UCI position in that TT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭amjon.

Get a Cervelo p2, best value bike in your range. You can pick these bikes up second hand with decent wheels on the net for about 2000stg-ish or less, so 2000-2500e. Keep an eye on this forum :

http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/index.php?showforum=115

Most posters are based in the UK but I'm sure they will be willing to post to Ireland as long as you cover postage. I bought most of my TT set up on it and got some great deals. Don't be in too much of a rush to buy the bike, bide your time as people will be seeling kit over the next few months especially after Christmas.

Also if you do decide to go down the power meter route I'd keep an eye on the US ebay, Dura Ace srm's can be picked up here for about the 1k mark.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SRM-7800-Dura-Ace-Wired-Powermeter-172-5-mm-/150510991018?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item230b2776aa

I bought a second hand unit off ebay and has been working fine.

just another thing

if you go into the OUTLET section on the canyon website, you can get brand new bikes for cheaper, because they have a scratch on the frame, so that TT bike i linked in the thread is only €2500 in the outlet section, only in large though, but worth asking them on the phone if you need a different size

here's the link

on the other hand, i just checked the aluminum version, its only 10 gramms heavier, but a nearly a grand cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

HI, might be able to help you out with P2C CERVELO. I`ve a brand new NEVER once used 2009 model(with 3T Funda carbon fork not older recalled Wolf fork). It`s built up with ultegra sl full groupset, dura ace shifters, full MOST carbon aero stem/bar combo and matching carbon extensions. Sram extralight carbon brake levers. Choice of new saddle. It`s a 56cm but as with all cervelò tt bikes it has a dual position seatpost which gives a more aggressive 54cm position also.I`ve sold the wheels so you`d have free choice to spec your own. New cost of everything above was 2655euro. Everything is Brand new. Will sell at a serious discount and make it worth your while. Got disc problem before i could use it. Selling as i`m financing an MTB.
    I can take photos with camera and forward to you if interested. PM me your details.

What do you want from a bike? Good looks? Aero? What depth wheels are you going to run? Tubs or clinchers?

Comfort, aero, good looks in that order. Was planning on running mavic carbonne or maybe 404's if budget allows
    tunney wrote: »
    Did someone else not post the fastest time but then get DQed for a non-UCI position in that TT?

Did not intend on opening a can of worms there!! Even if he posted the second fastest time its still impressive enough to value his advise
    amjon. wrote: »
    Get a Cervelo p2, best value bike in your range. You can pick these bikes up second hand with decent wheels on the net for about 2000stg-ish or less, so 2000-2500e. Keep an eye on this forum :

http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/index.php?showforum=115

Also if you do decide to go down the power meter route I'd keep an eye on the US ebay, Dura Ace srm's can be picked up here for about the 1k mark.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SRM-7800-Dura-Ace-Wired-Powermeter-172-5-mm-/150510991018?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item230b2776aa

I bought a second hand unit off ebay and has been working fine.

Thanks for the links amjon! That english site has some serious value on it. Will keep a close eye on it over the next few weeks. thanks again
    just another thing

if you go into the OUTLET section on the canyon website, you can get brand new bikes for cheaper, because they have a scratch on the frame, so that TT bike i linked in the thread is only €2500 in the outlet section, only in large though, but worth asking them on the phone if you need a different size

here's the link

on the other hand, i just checked the aluminum version, its only 10 gramms heavier, but a nearly a grand cheaper

Spotted that Chris thanks. Also seen they have a sponsorship deal where they knock a few hundred off a frame if you show a racing license. Wonder would Cycling Ireland or Triathlon Ireland membership qualify. Might be worth mentioning it to them anyways. Will give them call Monday
    TheDocMan wrote: »
    HI, might be able to help you out with P2C CERVELO. I`ve a brand new NEVER once used 2009 model(with 3T Funda carbon fork not older recalled Wolf fork). It`s built up with ultegra sl full groupset, dura ace shifters, full MOST carbon aero stem/bar combo and matching carbon extensions. Sram extralight carbon brake levers. Choice of new saddle. It`s a 56cm but as with all cervelò tt bikes it has a dual position seatpost which gives a more aggressive 54cm position also.I`ve sold the wheels so you`d have free choice to spec your own. New cost of everything above was 2655euro. Everything is Brand new. Will sell at a serious discount and make it worth your while. Got disc problem before i could use it. Selling as i`m financing an MTB.
    I can take photos with camera and forward to you if interested. PM me your details.
    Cheers Doc PM sent now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Have you considered the alloy version of the Trek Speed Concept. It has the same trick cut-off aerofoils as the more expensive models and comes in under E2000(not sure of exact RRP). That leaves you with plenty to pick up a pair of deep section wheels.

Looks fantastic!

http://bertsbikes.com/product/trek-speed-concept-2.5-71534-1.htm

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Have you considered the alloy version of the Trek Speed Concept. It has the same trick cut-off aerofoils as the more expensive models and comes in under E2000(not sure of exact RRP). That leaves you with plenty to pick up a pair of deep section wheels.

Looks fantastic!

http://bertsbikes.com/product/trek-speed-concept-2.5-71534-1.htm

thanks velo for the recommendation. Nice looking bike. However not a big fan of Trek's. Not sure even why that is .. maybe the whole Lance connection i dunno. anyways thanks again for the link

Hi All,

Just to update - I went with the P2 in the end. Got a great deal from the DocMan on a 2009 P2 frame with full Ultegra build and Most full carbon aero bars. Bike is immaculate having never been actually ridden. Thanks Docman - very happy with it :D

Need to pick up a set of wheels now. Cannot get over the price of new Zipp 404's and budget does not stretch to them even if they are the best thing since slice bread etc.

Had considered the Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL which are E729 on Jedi Sports. I have heard that while these wheels are by no means light they can take a lot of abuse. Does anyone here have them or indeed have opinions on them? Had then considered pushing the boat out and getting the same wheels with Powertap included. Does this represent a good deal? CSS also have them here and while more expensive that deal seems to include all of the kit you need to get started with power.

My alternative option would be to pick up a decent pair of second hand wheels on ebay or UK forum and try and sort out a powertap set up seperately.

My thinking is with a budget of E1,200-1,500 for wheels my training (& times) would be much better served going for a 800 euro wheel with the balance of the budget used towards a powertap. Would anyone have an opinion on the best and cheapest way to get a decent aero wheel and all of the kit you need to train with power? thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

If you want Zipps talk to D20903, a user on here, he has a bunch of them. You could get a nice set of 606's with Cassette and tubs for nearly the price of those Cosmics if he still has them.

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    If you want Zipps talk to D20903, a user on here, he has a bunch of them. You could get a nice set of 606's with Cassette and tubs for nearly the price of those Cosmics if he still has them.
    Thanks Quigs Snr. AFAIK he only has tubs available. I would be after clinchers. Need to be able to change a flat quick smart if I get one

My thinking is with a budget of E1,200-1,500 for wheels my training (& times) would be much better served going for a 800 euro wheel with the balance of the budget used towards a powertap. Would anyone have an opinion on the best and cheapest way to get a decent aero wheel and all of the kit you need to train with power? thanks in advance

If you're going down the power road, you need to decide how you're going to do it. For training only or for racing too?

One of the main disadvantages of a powertap is that you're stuck with a single rear wheel. Even a set of Cosmics is €1750 with a powertap hub, which is completely bonkers given how they're such a boggo pair of wheels (IMO).

The "best" route currently is a crank power meter, which frees you up to run (say) a cheap range set of deep wheels (e.g. Planet X 50 + 82 + 101 + disc for about £1500) for all conditions. Unfortunately you're looking at a total cost in excess of £3k, which is a bit mad.

There is a Quarg for sale at that moment on the UK TT forum for ~€1000, but it's got super long cranks so you'd need to be leggy.

The "do it all" combination would probably be a powertap built into a rear 60mm rim paired with a front 50mm.

Wheelsmith would be good if you can cope with tubs, with a 50mm/Elite+ wheelset from £975.

There are cheapish carbon clinchers available now. My 50mm Soul C5s were about €1100 as I recall, and are very light for deep clinchers (1378g IIRC). Sean Wai from Soul is good with custom stuff in my experience - maybe he could build you a powertap set with 50 front and 60 rear for something approaching your budget.

Or you could just wait for pedal-/cleat-based meters to come to market, if and when that ever happens.

If you're going down the power road, you need to decide how you're going to do it. For training only or for racing too?

One of the main disadvantages of a powertap is that you're stuck with a single rear wheel. Even a set of Cosmics is €1750 with a powertap hub, which is completely bonkers given how they're such a boggo pair of wheels (IMO).

The "best" route currently is a crank power meter, which frees you up to run (say) a cheap range set of deep wheels (e.g. Planet X 50 + 82 + 101 + disc for about £1500) for all conditions. Unfortunately you're looking at a total cost in excess of £3k, which is a bit mad.

There is a Quarg for sale at that moment on the UK TT forum for ~€1000, but it's got super long cranks so you'd need to be leggy.

The "do it all" combination would probably be a powertap built into a rear 60mm rim paired with a front 50mm.

Wheelsmith would be good if you can cope with tubs, with a 50mm/Elite+ wheelset from £975.

There are cheapish carbon clinchers available now. My 50mm Soul C5s were about €1100 as I recall, and are very light for deep clinchers (1378g IIRC). Sean Wai from Soul is good with custom stuff in my experience - maybe he could build you a powertap set with 50 front and 60 rear for something approaching your budget.

Or you could just wait for pedal-/cleat-based meters to come to market, if and when that ever happens.

Pedal based systems seem like vapourware.

If its for triathlon get a deep section front wheel for races and get a normal(ish) rear wheel with a power tap and then get a wheel cover for it.

SRMs are pricey and the customer service is total fvcking cack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

Pedal based systems seem like vapourware.

If its for triathlon get a deep section front wheel for races and get a normal(ish) rear wheel with a power tap and then get a wheel cover for it.

SRMs are pricey and the customer service is total fvcking cack.
    The LOOK/Polar power meter is due March/April. Far from vapourware

The LOOK/Polar power meter is due March/April. Far from vapourware

From what I have heard the filed tests have not yet been done and you can expect GA TI be some time after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

i was holding out for the look pedal power system, but went for a powertap in the end, i think first year of luanch is going to be full of bugs and recalls .. does anyone know if any pro teams tested this ?

Tunney you know any uk based companys doing disc covers ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

levitronix wrote: »
    i was holding out for the look pedal power system, but went for a powertap in the end, i think first year of luanch is going to be full of bugs and recalls .. does anyone know if any pro teams tested this ?

'bike science' are the uk reseller for 'aerojacket', £99 for one compared to $80 or something from wheelbuiler. Postage from wheelbuilder is a joke tho'

mloc123 wrote: »
    'bike science' are the uk reseller for 'aerojacket', £99 for one compared to $80 or something from wheelbuiler. Postage from wheelbuilder is a joke tho'

Bulk order, my club got a load of people getting them, same postal for the lot as for one............... I'd go to the US. £99 is a joke

Thanks for taking the time to offer all the advise Lumen.
    Right well i've been thrown well off the Cosmics now!
    Relatively new to cycling so would not know where to start when it comes to custom wheels. Took a look at the sites you mentioned above and have sent wheelsmith a mail.
    I intend using the powermeter for training and racing. Big issue I would have with crank based system is that I would'nt be able to change it from the TT bike to the Road bike. If this pedal/cleat based system proves accurate I can see it taking off in a big way due to the obvious advantages in terms of easy transfer between bikes.

I'm half thinking of just getting a planet X deep section carbon wheelset to tide me over to the summer and then see if the pedal system is any good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Changing a modern crankset, while not quite as easy as changing a wheel, is not that far off either. It's probably easier than changing a cassette.

Relatively new to cycling so would not know where to start when it comes to custom wheels. Took a look at the sites you mentioned above and have sent wheelsmith a mail.
    I intend using the powermeter for training and racing. Big issue I would have with crank based system is that I would'nt be able to change it from the TT bike to the Road bike. If this pedal/cleat based system proves accurate I can see it taking off in a big way due to the obvious advantages in terms of easy transfer between bikes.

I'm half thinking of just getting a planet X deep section carbon wheelset to tide me over to the summer and then see if the pedal system is any good.

Lots of people like Cosmics. They're apparently very strong. I just think they're heavy and rattly.

The advice on wheelcovers combined with a conventional wheel might be worth following. The advantage is you can add the wheelcover later.

I swap my crank powermeter (Quarq) between road and TT bikes in a couple of minutes, it's trivial as long as you have compatible bottom brackets. The only problem is if you want to run different chainsets, e.g. compact for Alpine sportives but standard for road racing and TTs, or use it on a track bike.

It goes without saying that none of this is necessary and plenty of pros don't use powermeters at all.

• Advertisement

blorg wrote: »
    Changing a modern crankset, while not quite as easy as changing a wheel, is not that far off either. It's probably easier than changing a cassette.

Thanks blorg will keep it in mind. Crank based system does seem more expensive however

It goes without saying that none of this is necessary and plenty of pros don't use powermeters at all.

Yes agree with this. Think there is a lot to be got from tuning into your own percieved effort levels and not relying on a piece of technology. Saying that, after I got a garmin 405 for running I noticed a huge improvement in my times. Will always have it in the back of my mind that I could do the same with my bike times by investing in a powermeter.

Wheelsmith got back to me saying that they could do a Powertap Elite+ on 50mm Carbon Gigantex carbon rims for £1,100 with CX-Rays bladed spokes. (includes CPU,mounts and software, skewers and delivery. If you have a Garmin compatible (ANT+) then it would be £975) Don't know if this represents good value or not.

Just an FYI Planet X also got back to me re. carbon clinchers with the following:

"Unfortunately, the only Pro Carbon wheels we stock at the moment are the tubular version. We found, in the past, that full carbon clincher rims and metal tyre levers weren't always compatible so when our last stock ran out decided we would look at resourcing them (from a different supplier if need be) to get a product which we felt 100% comfortable with. We realise there's a demand for them and are 'on to it' as they say....but unfortunately there's nothing out there jumping at us at the moment. Best to keep an eye on the site for updates as and when! Going to be a while though ....of that I'm sure!
    [FONT=arial, sans-serif]We have however recently taken delivery of some SRAM and DT Swiss carbon clinchers. A bit pricey, but you can find them on the site if they're likely to be of any interest?"[/FONT]

Metal tyre levers on crabon wheels! Gaaah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Hey, M R Runner delighted you`r happy with your bike. I miss it hanging on the garage wall - hope you get plenty of good results from it.
    Can`t believe PX`s reason for not continuing to stock carbon clinchers is down to - `metal levers on carbon rims`.It`d be like not stocking carbon frames because yea can`t use a hammer to fix it.
    Anyway for what it`s worth i recon the PX tubular wheels will give you all the proformance that you can want and then you can take your time to checkout your options- s/h powertap, new build or wait for pedal system.
    By the way saw a nice pr of FSA 50mm tubular wheel on ebay with 500e start bid - no bids as yet. Might be worth a look. CHEERS DocMan

TheDocMan wrote: »
    Hey, M R Runner delighted you`r happy with your bike. I miss it hanging on the garage wall - hope you get plenty of good results from it.
    Can`t believe PX`s reason for not continuing to stock carbon clinchers is down to - `metal levers on carbon rims`.It`d be like not stocking carbon frames because yea can`t use a hammer to fix it.
    Anyway for what it`s worth i recon the PX tubular wheels will give you all the proformance that you can want and then you can take your time to checkout your options- s/h powertap, new build or wait for pedal system.
    By the way saw a nice pr of FSA 50mm tubular wheel on ebay with 500e start bid - no bids as yet. Might be worth a look. CHEERS DocMan

Thanks DocMan, the bike is really teasing me now as I have yet to take it out!
    Really set against tub's tbh. Would be much more comfortable with clinchers. My thinking now is that I could get a normalish back wheel with built in power meter and deep section front wheel all from wheelsmith. Could then use a cover for the bck wheel for TT's and Tri's. Wheelsmith deal above does look tempting.

Thanks for taking the time to offer all the advise Lumen.

My crank based PM can be changed between bikes in under 2 minutes.

• Advertisement

Thanks blorg will keep it in mind. Crank based system does seem more expensive however

Yes agree with this. Think there is a lot to be got from tuning into your own percieved effort levels and not relying on a piece of technology. Saying that, after I got a garmin 405 for running I noticed a huge improvement in my times. Will always have it in the back of my mind that I could do the same with my bike times by investing in a powermeter.

Wheelsmith got back to me saying that they could do a Powertap Elite+ on 50mm Carbon Gigantex carbon rims for £1,100 with CX-Rays bladed spokes. (includes CPU,mounts and software, skewers and delivery. If you have a Garmin compatible (ANT+) then it would be £975) Don't know if this represents good value or not.

Just an FYI Planet X also got back to me re. carbon clinchers with the following:

"Unfortunately, the only Pro Carbon wheels we stock at the moment are the tubular version. We found, in the past, that full carbon clincher rims and metal tyre levers weren't always compatible so when our last stock ran out decided we would look at resourcing them (from a different supplier if need be) to get a product which we felt 100% comfortable with. We realise there's a demand for them and are 'on to it' as they say....but unfortunately there's nothing out there jumping at us at the moment. Best to keep an eye on the site for updates as and when! Going to be a while though ....of that I'm sure!
    [FONT=arial, sans-serif]We have however recently taken delivery of some SRAM and DT Swiss carbon clinchers. A bit pricey, but you can find them on the site if they're likely to be of any interest?"[/FONT]

Metal levers on carbon isn't the issue.

Sh!te quality products are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

My crank based PM can be changed between bikes in under 2 minutes.

Quicker than pedals I would guess. Pedals have a habit of not wanting to come off.

Thanks DocMan, the bike is really teasing me now as I have yet to take it out!
    Really set against tub's tbh. Would be much more comfortable with clinchers. My thinking now is that I could get a normalish back wheel with built in power meter and deep section front wheel all from wheelsmith. Could then use a cover for the bck wheel for TT's and Tri's. Wheelsmith deal above does look tempting.

You can get a DT swiss 585 rim ( 30mm aero alloy) 24/28 hole built onto a powertap pro, shipped from the states for a bit less than wheel smith, thats what i got,its 4.7% import duty and 21% vat onto your cost, loads of options out there, and any problems you might have with the powertap if any you wont have to ship to the states for issues, they have a european service center in prague

But if i had the cash id get a crank based system, i could see myself breaking a pedal based system somehow

But if i had the cash id get a crank based system, i could see myself breaking a pedal based system somehow

Yip - I mashed my pedals against a curb this morning and thought "wow - that would be the end of my garmin/polar PM"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 murphy93

bought a focus from wiggle this year, fab value and spec for the price other options worth a look cannondale, felt and planetx

Advertisement