Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obituary for the Number 10 bus

Options
  • 30-10-2010 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

Number 10 bus : 1945-2010.

The number 10 bus was the offspring of the legendary Donnybrook Tram.
    QO-00014-DONNYBROOK-D.jpg

It travelled in all weathers in the leafy environs of Waterloo Road and Baggot Street and took many mammies and chiselers from the Pillar to the zoo.

Outliving its younger sibling, the number 9, it found a new role when extended to the new campus of the National University at Belfield. "Ollscoil/Belfield" became its destination and it became the first Dublin bus used by a generation of culchee students. As these people went on to become leaders of society they recalled their carefree days at UCD every time they spotted a number 10 in city traffic from their Mercs. The Number 10 had many vehicles, including the famous bendi-bus, but never achieved the use of the flashy tri-axles of the favoured 46A.

035%20KD%20339%20300391%20img794.jpg

While not achieving the fame in song of the 46A, the number 10 has featured in Vodafone ads and in road safety promotions. In its later days this noble bus has been abused by some of the species of modern student, a sad development in its long career. Perhaps this hastened its decline, with a tough northside bus being introduced instead.

Number 10 bus, we salute you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

The 10 had the most irritating route into town... I wont miss it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

I enjoyed the post, but not the bus. As one of those poor souls who regularly uses the 17 I hate nothing more than seeing about 4 10's all parked up at any one time, while I wait for my s**t bus.

The 10's gone? So it's just 46a's back into town now?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Well, you can get 2s and 3s as well, but they take forever and are pretty useless.

I heard the 46a now goes into campus, is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

The 145 and 46a go into town from outside the grounds!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭marglin

i saw somewhere there will be a 39a from campus to baggot street

As a culchie student in ucd i have to say il miss the 10, have good memories of first year when it was the only bus you dared to get on, drunken sinking, the larf etc goodbye 10

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

The 10s route north of the Liffey was added onto the 46a a few weeks ago, the part south of the Liffey was added onto the 39a from today ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I hate the sight of the 46A simply because it doesn't bring me into the campus. The number 10 will always have a place in my heart, as will any bus that goes directly from the city centre into Belfield.

I hate the sight of the 46A simply because it doesn't bring me into the campus. The number 10 will always have a place in my heart, as will any bus that goes directly from the city centre into Belfield.

It takes you about 100m from campus, the walk won't kill you!

OSI wrote: »
    I find the extra 10-15 minutes it takes to get to UCD in the morning on the 10 far more of an issue than the 46a's lack of a campus stop.

But when you're tired in the morning and too lazy to get off your bum all you want to do is look out the window and admire all the sights and sounds in D4, an extra 10-15 minutes of that is just heaven for me. It's a thoroughly enjoyable bus root, so much so that I couldn't just a hoot if I was 10-15 minutes late for a lecture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Last departure from Belfield (from commuting forum)
    133089.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Lucet

RIP number 10 bus.

Now, back to reality - from where in town I can get bus 39A?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Lucet wrote: »
    RIP number 10 bus.

Now, back to reality - from where in town I can get bus 39A?

Dawson Street, I think.

Good Bye Number 10 ... we'll miss you ... babes.

But when you're tired in the morning and too lazy to get off your bum all you want to do is look out the window and admire all the sights and sounds in D4, an extra 10-15 minutes of that is just heaven for me. It's a thoroughly enjoyable bus root, so much so that I couldn't just a hoot if I was 10-15 minutes late for a lecture.

So you preferred to be late for your lectures and sit on a bus. And then you will be the first to go insane when they suggest the reintroduction of fees!

The bus was cancelled from entering the campus at least once a year due to drunken idiots trying to damaging them in the evenings. I can honestly say I have no doubt the drivers are delighted it is gone.

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I can honestly say I have no doubt the drivers are delighted it is gone.

It's replaced by the 39A so other drivers still have to make that trip into campus :p

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Lucet

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    So you preferred to be late for your lectures and sit on a bus. And then you will be the first to go insane when they suggest the reintroduction of fees!

The bus was cancelled from entering the campus at least once a year due to drunken idiots trying to damaging them in the evenings. I can honestly say I have no doubt the drivers are delighted it is gone.

Well, I'm with the Killer Pigeon - most of my lectures are in Quinn, so 10 was the best bus for me, especially on the rainy and windy days like today. I take 2 buses everyday just to get to UCD, so I kinda want my comfort and there's nothing wrong with it.

We all know the stuff what happened in the buses during the night time - just don't let the drunk students in the bus. There's still 46A, 145, 39A and other buses here, it won't change anything. Students tend to get drunk, you know?

39A service is awful, I'm actually considering writing an email to them (I know they don't care, but I'm annoyed). I was waiting for that bus in town for about 30 minutes and in UCD I was waiting for about 40 minutes (I gave up after that and went and got 145, then in town I saw 3 or 4 39A going in a row) and in dublinbus.ie it says what? EVERY F****N 10 minutes. Yeah, 10 minutes my a**.

Am I the only person that doesn't give a s**t about the number 10? Even as a native Donnybrooker, it's departure doesn't bother me. There are 3 other buses (145, 746 and 46a) that serve practically the same route, and now the 46a's route has even been extended to go to the Phoenix Park instead of the 10, and that bus comes even more frequently! It's not even gone, technically, since the 39A is going to replace it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Its your own fault it is gone. Drunken muppets going upstairs and running from one side to another in an attempt to topple it....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Its your own fault it is gone. Drunken muppets going upstairs and running from one side to another in an attempt to topple it....

That sounds hilarious, did it ever work?

No thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

They were grade A arseholes. Even the first time, when the Garda were called and the rest of us (sober) people were thrown off the bus because the driver, quite rightly, refused to bring them. I even remember one group of particularly obnoxious super drunk D4 arseholes shouting out loud about how they were going to sue Dublin Bus for refusing to bring them.

The numerous times they did the same thing thereafter should, by right, have resulted in Dublin Bus using the cameras to bring them to court and the drivers in question being awarded substantial compensation. It was never an "undergrad" thing: it was always a dim arsehole thing.

I'll miss the No. 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

I never got the 10 at night, only ever got it during the day, Ive often wondered what the hell people did on that bus that caused it to be cancelled? Anyone shed a light? Ok, drunk people on it, fair enough... But there must have been some disasterous moments that just went too far, what were they? :confused:

Anyway, I havnt gotten the 39a yet, wasnt in last week, how do I get from UCD to O'Connell street now? Does the 39a go there? Or should I just stick to the oul 46a?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

muffinz wrote: »
    Ok, drunk people on it, fair enough... But there must have been some disasterous moments that just went too far, what were they? :confused:
    A bus inspector was attacked and the service was temporarily withdrawn from the campus a couple of years back.
    It has been withdrawn this time as part of the Dublin Bus Network Review - nothing to do with anti-social behaviour.

I can say it has a LOT to do with the behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

I only ever got it once or twice, but on Arthurs Day there was pretty much a riot on one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    I can say it has a LOT to do with the behavior.

That makes no sense...why replace it with another bus route that is exactly the same from UCD to town? Bar going up O Connell St but in fairness there aren't many nightclubs there.

Silly.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Where'd the old Leyland bus come from in the pic?

• Advertisement

The decision to get rid of the 10 was, plain and simple, just part of the larger redesign of the bus network. Take it from an avid reader of the Commuting & Transport forum ;)

Advertisement