Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pruning Advice please

Options
  • 30-10-2010 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi

I have a couple of plants in a garden that are quite big and out of control; I'd like to cut them back to reasonable size - and am wondering if now is an OK time to do it - bearing in mind the frosts etc approaching. Rank amateur here - no idea what they are so posting some pictures - taken a couple of weeks back.

One is a bush now measuring about 6ft tall by 4ft across. I believe it started the year at about half the size or smaller; has pink flowers in the summer. Other is a strange half tree/half bush - suspect it was cut way back before so there's a central trunk close to the ground - but branches spreading out from that to height of around 1oft. Again - I think it put on half that this year.

a) What are they - can you tell from the leaves?

b) What are my options for cutting these back? Can it be done now? The tree/bush is encroaching on a drive so I really need to do this but I don't want to kill the thing.

c) What's the best technique for this for each - cuts in relation to branches / bud locations - how much to remove etc

Bush:
    bush1s.jpg

Tree/Bush:
    tree1i.jpg

Thanks for any advice

Dugo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

dugo wrote: »
    Hi

a) What are they - can you tell from the leaves?

b) What are my options for cutting these back? Can it be done now? The tree/bush is encroaching on a drive so I really need to do this but I don't want to kill the thing.

c) What's the best technique for this for each - cuts in relation to branches / bud locations - how much to remove etc

Thanks for any advice

Dugo

Plant one...

Variegated Weigela... Tends to be smaller and less vigorous that Green types...
    As far as I am aware it flowers on the second year wood.. and you are better to prune right after flowering / late summer... You can Prune hard now it will survive but flowering may be poor next year..

Sorry can't Id the second photo Bush/tree ...reminds me of something but just can't put a name too it If you could take one of it showing it's shape/form...

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Hi I agree with jezko about no.1 no.2 i recon is a goat willow which is a large shrubby tree and they are pretty indistructable and can take being cut down to almost ground level, regardless of how much you take off it i would wait till spring at onset of growth but would do little harm if you need to do it now , new shoots can grow 3-4 ft in a season so a good chop every two years or so will keep it within bounds. good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dugo

Thanks guys; sorry, didn't get to reply till now - but got your messages and have acted upon them.

Not entirely sure the second tree is the goat willow - but it does grow like the clappers - and seems robust - so could be!

Cheers.

Advertisement