Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Increasingly Depressing Financial Crisis Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

unknown13 wrote: »
    Apparently Mary Coughlan has a Social Science degree, which is amusing considering she was one of the worst Ministers for Social Welfare in the history of the state.
    She really needs to be made Minister Responsible for Litter on the Blasket Islands, tbh. *Personally* responsible, including living there full-time!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Send her off to Inis Mhic Aoibhleáin! :p We need to keep the Great Blasket free from her ilk to stimulate tourism.

Send her off to Inis Mhic Aoibhleáin! :p
    Come to think of it, it didn't work for Haughey! >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Send her to Inishkea... Its even more isolated and nobodys heard of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inishkea_Islands

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Send her to Iceland or Greece to show her what happens when your country goes broke. That should open her eyes but it probably won't.

• Advertisement

Send her to Iceland or Greece down the road to show her what happens when your country goes broke. That should open her eyes but it probably won't.

FYP.

Her constituency isn't in Dublin, it is in Donegal. She would probably have to go 20 miles to see somewhere where the state of the country is clearly evident.

Her constituency isn't in Dublin, it is in Donegal. She would probably have to go 20 miles to see somewhere where the state of the country is clearly evident.

What do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Looks like the government has collapsed.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1122/politics.htm

Thank God for that. Now...... how do I register to vote?

kev9100 wrote: »
    Looks like the government has collapsed.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1122/politics.htm

Thank God for that. Now...... how do I register to vote?

The link to the form is there... You have to do it by friday.

http://www.checktheregister.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

The two independents have withdrawn their support apparently.

MUSSOLINI wrote: »

Does this mean they will vote against the budget or do they just want an election after it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

MUSSOLINI wrote: »

Surprised that Healy-Rae has withdrawn his support. Cowen must have refused to give him the items on his shopping list then.

Does this mean they will vote against the budget or do they just want an election after it?

Michael Lowry said he was most likely going to vote against it. Healy-Rae has apparently lost all confidence in them, so he'll may do so too.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

By Friday? I sent one off a few weeks ago in anticipation, and I am still not on the register... Now I thought it was freepost, so if it isn't that could explain. Do I have to go through all that long rig ma roll again? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

That's just the draft register. You can register to vote at any time during the year.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Yes, but you have to be registered 15 days before a General Election. The Green Party are talking about having one in January, but who knows - it could be sooner than that. Better safe and registered than sorry! :)

The government are too stubborn to call a general election and they are the only ones that can a general election. The country is in the right shíts because of them, the only chance that a general election could have been called was when Bertie left office, he could of called it then but he didn't. Everyone get over it, we will not be electing a new government until 2012

Don't I look like a right idiot now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Yes, but you have to be registered 15 days before a General Election. The Green Party are talking about having one in January, but who knows - it could be sooner than that. Better safe and registered than sorry! :)

Yeah it could be a lot sooner. Could be later too. Maybe if they guillotine parts of the finance bill they'll have it through the Dail by then?

Anyone hear Gilmore on the news earlier saying that we should be making less cuts now that the bailout has been agreed? What a bufoon. And this guy thinks he should have been negotiating the bailout... I hope he doesn't become Taoiseach.

The Dail can force a general election if the government loses the confidence of the Dail. Atm, the gov. magority is two and that will almost certainly go dwn after the by-election on Friday. There are also more by-elections to be held and a lot of scared FF tds who might vote against the Gov. if they think it will help them keep their seat. A general election will happen very soon.

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

The Dail can force a general election if the government loses the confidence of the Dail. Atm, the gov. magority is two and that will almost certainly go dwn after the by-election on Friday. There are also more by-elections to be held and a lot of scared FF tds who might vote against the Gov. if they think it will help them keep their seat. A general election will happen very soon.

Actually, the Dáil can force the Taoiseach to seek dissolution of the Dáil from the President and the President can choose to refuse a dissolution. It's a power that's never been used before (Robinson subtly hinted she'd invoke this right if Reynold's sought a dissolution in 1994, that's why the FF/Labour coalition turned into a FG/Labour coalition with no election).

Just sayin'. Ha, this is like studying.. :P

Also, registering to vote is super easy, lads. Go to your county council's website, go to the electoral register section, fill in the form and BAM! you are now registered to vote. At least that's how it worked for me on the Louth County Council website last year!

Actually, the draft register has been published for next year, so you'll probably need to go to your local Garda station/post office/library/administration office to get a form to be on the supplementary register. That register stays open until 15 (working!) days before an election takes place, like IO said.

Register. Vote. Be awesome. :D

MavisDavis wrote: »
    Actually, the Dáil can force the Taoiseach to seek dissolution of the Dáil from the President and the President can choose to refuse a dissolution. It's a power that's never been used before (Robinson subtly hinted she'd invoke this right if Reynold's sought a dissolution in 1994, that's why the FF/Labour coalition turned into a FG/Labour coalition with no election).

Also, registering to vote is super easy, lads. Go to your county council's website, go to the electoral register section, fill in the form and BAM! you are now registered to vote. At least that's how it worked for me on the Louth County Council website last year!

Actually, the draft register has been published for next year, so you'll probably need to go to your local Garda station/post office/library/administration office to get a form to be on the supplementary register. That register stays open until 15 (working!) days before an election takes place, like IO said.

Register. Vote. Be awesome. :D

More like John O Dowd's constitutional law lectures. We will be hearing about it tomorrow what will be happening.

More like John O Dowd's constitutional law lectures. We will be hearing about it tomorrow what will be happening.

That was more John Coakley's Introduction to Irish Politics. They overlap a lot!

Yeah, I think my lecturer talked about something like that last week. I doubt Mcaleese would do what Robinson did though.

Do you do politics in UCD by any chance?

Yeah, I think my lecturer talked about something like that last week. I doubt Mcaleese would do what Robinson did though.

Do you do politics in UCD by any chance?

No, she definitely wouldn't. It's against the public mood.

Yes, I do.

I will be doing Politics as a minor in the next semester but will be probably be dropping it

No, she definitely wouldn't. It's against the public mood.

Yes, I do.

Also, if FF can't pass a budget in this Dail Fg and Labour sure as hell won't.

There are an insane amount of people in this forum who take politics. I really should start going in on Thursday more......

Also, if FF can't pass a budget in this Dail Fg and Labour sure as hell won't.

There are an insane amount of people in this forum who take politics. I really should start going in on Thursday more......

Oh I know, just pointing out a technicality I remembered from last Tuesday.
    Richard is lovely on a Thursday, but his subject is so, so dull.

I think the draft register is still open to amendments. You have until Friday the 25th to let your local authority know about omissions, it would seem. Sorted. :D

I'm stalking everyone I know on the register to make sure they're there..:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Thread title made me smile, quite ironically.

Anyway, what brought all this IMF business about so suddenly? Was it only these past few days everyone realised how f*cked the country is?

*is bad at current affairs and stuff*

• Advertisement

Circumstances are very different ... whatever side of the argument you support, or whatever your views about timing, there is a real question about the present government's mandate.

McAleese is a former professor of law, though constitutional law wasn't her area. I couldn't see her refusing a dissolution, nor would it be appropriate for her to do so in the present scenario.
    A Neurotic wrote: »
    Anyway, what brought all this IMF business about so suddenly? Was it only these past few days everyone realised how f*cked the country is?

*is bad at current affairs and stuff*
    Financial markets sniffled, Irish banks felt a cold coming on, Ireland came down with the 'flu.

Advertisement