Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Increasingly Depressing Financial Crisis Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

If the cut in minimum wage is implemented along with higher tax for higher earners then it is a good move imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    If the cut in minimum wage is implemented along with higher tax for higher earners then it is a good move imo.

How high should it go for the higher earners? The cut in pension reliefs and other such things is a pretty big increase as it is.

amacachi wrote: »
    How high should it go for the higher earners? The cut in pension reliefs and other such things is a pretty big increase as it is.
    I think it should go high, but not prohibitively so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Quick question, is minimum wage cut for <18's too? It's 6.06€ for us atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I actually completely understand all this after spending a double business class talking about it.

Ara, it'll be graaaand.

The 4 year plan doesn't look too bad so far, yeah it's not good but looks like a little more tightening of the belts and such. Not really liking the look of the big healthcare cut, but nothing unexpected.

At least we can joke about it, I for one am loving all of these new facebook pages. :)

WE ARE DOOOOMMMEDDD ARRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I drink three to four litres of water per day. :(
    The measures will see university registration fees rise from €1,500 to €2,000 and the introduction of water charges some time before 2014 once meters are installed in all homes and businesses.

Bart%27s+Comet1.png

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Don't be drinking tap water!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Thank the lord for our well anyway....otherwise we'd be fairly screwed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

jumpguy wrote: »
    Quick question, is minimum wage cut for <18's too? It's 6.06€ for us atm.

That will go down. €6.06 is 70% of €8.65, so it's going to go down to €5.36.

I'm going to hold off on deciding how I feel about all this until the actual budget comes out. It's certainly not good so far anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Has anyone been watching the student riots around England? Crazy.

We will have the same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

They seem to have more militant student organisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

I heard lenihan on the tv saying he expects the economy to grow 2.5% every year between 2011 and 2014. The idea that any economy can grow with this amount of cuts and tax increases is pure nonsense imho.

This will be a good budget for companies, bad for workers. Small man gets raped again.

Lower minimum wage, good for companies
    Corporate tax stays the same: Good for companies

Don't be drinking tap water!!
    Why?
    This will be a good budget for companies, bad for workers. Small man gets raped again.

Lower minimum wage, good for companies
    Corporate tax stays the same: Good for companies
    Fcuk it sure, nationalise the lot, what could go wrong.

Why?
    Tastes like crap, too much fluoride. Now I am not a conspiracy head but I would rather drink water that does not have medicine put into it without my consent, regardless of whether it is good for you, or bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Tastes like crap, too much fluoride. Now I am not a conspiracy head but I would rather drink water that does not have medicine put into it without my consent, regardless of whether it is good for you, or bad.

You do law, right? It's so bad that I read your post and instantly thought "Ryan v Attorney General!" :p

I can't wait to see the actual budget now, it'll be interesting to see exactly what happens to the pensions. I'm a bit dubious about the cut in the minimum wage too, but if that somehow works out in the context of the budget to encourage work then it's grand.

Depends where ya are I suppose, the water in my taps is pretty damn nice, especially in this weather having passed through the cold, cold ground. ^_^

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 baby astrolab

You do law, right? It's so bad that I read your post and instantly thought "Ryan v Attorney General!" :p

I can't wait to see the actual budget now, it'll be interesting to see exactly what happens to the pensions. I'm a bit dubious about the cut in the minimum wage too, but if that somehow works out in the context of the budget to encourage work then it's grand.

How do people believe this? I heard some business commentator making the same point on George Hook yesterday. If you reduce the minimum wage it makes work less attractive not more!

It seems like if they keep saying it we eventually believe it. George Hook didn't question it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

So there's going to be a 5% decrease in grants, and a 33% hike on fees..

Well done, government. Well done.

How do people believe this? I heard some business commentator making the same point on George Hook yesterday. If you reduce the minimum wage it makes work less attractive not more!

It seems like if they keep saying it we eventually believe it. George Hook didn't question it either.

It is sound logic, but if they keep the dole where they have then it won't have the desired effect.

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    So there's going to be a 5% decrease in grants, and a 33% hike on fees..

Well done, government. Well done.

Source on that? Sounds fair-ish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Not if you cut social welfare payments at the same time, hence 'within the context of the budget', I'm assuming...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Source on that? Sounds fair-ish.

http://businessandleadership.com/economy/item/26890-student-registration-up/

Maybe I just totally read it wrong, but that's what it looks like to me >_>

Note how I mentioned CONTEXT. I'm well aware that lowering the minimum wage generally acts as a disincentive to work (again, note my use of the word "dubious" with regard to the reduction), but the overall context of the budget may balance this out/have the opposite effect. The government have said it will. I am interested to see how exactly this is going to work, if they're even telling the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 baby astrolab

...but if that somehow works out in the context of the budget to encourage work then it's grand.

Certainly sounded like you were open to the possibility that it could somehow encourage work.
    Namlub wrote: »
    Not if you cut social welfare payments at the same time, hence 'within the context of the budget', I'm assuming...

Then it is the cutting of social welfare that makes it more attractive to work, not the cutting of the minimum wage. That's like saying increasing the price of bottled water will make it more attractive to buy bottled water (in the context of putting a huge price on tap water)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Jay P wrote: »
    That will go down. €6.06 is 70% of €8.65, so it's going to go down to €5.36.

I'm going to hold off on deciding how I feel about all this until the actual budget comes out. It's certainly not good so far anyway...
    Ah well, I doubt my wages at work will be cut, they're low enough as is.

I'm lucky I got to do the exam attendant thingy last summer though. 6.06 an hour for listening to my iPod and occasionally making tea. :cool:

• Advertisement

Certainly sounded like you were open to the possibility that it could somehow encourage work.

Well, yeah. Because I don't know the full contents of the budget, so I'm open to all possibilities as far as what it will contain is concerned.

Advertisement