Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Increasingly Depressing Financial Crisis Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

In lieu of marching on Wednesday, I'm going to give blood instead.

This way, I have an easy answer to give people when they ask me why I'm not marching, and I secretly know that I'm doing something which will make a difference!

Although the blood people are coming to UCD on the 29th!

I've a novel idea; I'll attend my lectures and go to the library on Wednesday. Sounds fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Students' Union email:
    . If we don’t do this, when we arrive into our classes and our labs and our tutorials after the budget there will be empty seats

Ah come on now. Even in my course, where I'd say there's a 99% attendance, there's plenty of empty seats. If you want to emotionally blackmail us, try a teeny bit harder.

Plus the empty seats picture doesn't capture the mind when that's precisely the outcome of this march. >.>

Plus the empty seats picture doesn't capture the mind when that's precisely the outcome of this march. >.>

And why would people leave after the budget, when they won't have to pay the registration fee 'til September?

YOU MAKE NO SENSE, STUDENTS' UNION.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Our lecturer asked us last week "Oh I hear there's a protest. Are any of ye going protesting?"

*cue silence*

Lecturer: "Oh shur I forgot you're 4th years. Shur ye don't care!"

:pac:

Nah in fairness, I wish everyone protesting the best of luck. I just don't see how it will have any effect at all. The Government don't care about students because
    (a) Students typically don't vote for them, and
    (b) They know they're more than likely not gonna be re-elected come 2012 (or before then, if an early election is called) so they're not gonna try and appease people in a vote-getting appeal. Rather, they'll just cut all around them mercilessly. They're going to argue "Well shur, cuts must be made somewhere and money has to come from somewhere. Soz bbz! LOL! :rolleyes:" Or something to that effect...

Someone said earlier that this "it won't work so why bother?" attitude is ridiculous. Well fair enough if you feel that way, but I can't help but feel it's a case of being idealistic and naive. Now if does have an effect, everyone is free to say "I told you so" and I'll just have to hang my head in shame. But until then, I honestly think that marching in Dublin would be a waste of a trip and a waste of a college day for me.

Having said all that, that whole "Tell Your TD" thing is quite a good idea. May get around to that at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Our lecturer asked us last week "Oh I hear there's a protest. Are any of ye going protesting?"

*cue silence*

Lecturer: "Oh shur I forgot you're 4th years. Shur ye don't care!"

:pac:
    One of my mates thought I was pissed off at him for not going because he's in his last year but went to the last protest, took him a minute to remember who he was talking to. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

This way, I have an easy answer to give people when they ask me why I'm not marching, and I secretly know that I'm doing something which will make a difference!

Fair play for giving blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

The market system prefers graduates to be in debt when they leave college anyway, it gives the incentive to work ASAP to pay off the debt.

The IMF spotted this, and obviously said that we cant have debt free students, for our "wisdom" says thats bad for the market.

To hell with the IMF and to hell with all these other self appointed philosophisers u hear on Sam Smith... students give your four fingers

The market system prefers graduates to be in debt when they leave college anyway, it gives the incentive to work ASAP to pay off the debt.

The IMF spotted this, and obviously said that we cant have debt free students, for our "wisdom" says thats bad for the market.

To hell with the IMF and to hell with all these other self appointed philosophisers u hear on Sam Smith... students give your four fingers
    Get onto Joe Higgins, the glorious revolution could be just around the corner. :pac:

Fair play for being allowed to give blood, their conditions seem to not want anyone who's had fun in their life to be allowed to donate. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Note: I have never given blood before so they may still turn me away! I'll keep you posted :) I'm not sure what blood type I am even, my dad is O+ and my mother is A+, so I could be some odd conglomerate (although more than likely O+, it's the most common).

I think the President of the TCD Students' Union officially hates me :pac: We're having something of a facebook debate!

I think the President of the TCD Students' Union officially hates me :pac: We're having something of a facebook debate!

Link please?

Amazing how easy it is to spot the student politicians who'll be future politicians, they already can't debate for ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Nice post! :) Can't like it on Facebook so I'll just thank you here instead.

For a sec I thought that that Bill guy was the TCDSU president; I thought "That's a very unprofessional attitude for an SU president to have." Then realised it was the other guy.

Still, that Bill guy represents what I hate about student politics, like what amacachi mentioned earlier; that anyone who disagrees with their ideology is conservative/rich/lazy/cold hearted capitalist/whatever

EDIT: Oh wait, I can like it on FB. I just wasn't logged in first time. >.<
    I NEED SLEEP.... :o

amacachi wrote: »
    Amazing how easy it is to spot the student politicians who'll be future politicians, they already can't debate for ****.

In fairness, it's past midnight. Look at all the mistakes I made with prefixes and the like :pac:

Still, that Bill guy represents what I hate about student politics, like what amacachi mentioned earlier; that anyone who disagrees with their ideology is conservative/rich/lazy/cold hearted capitalist/whatever
    I can't argue that they're right about that with me though. :pac: I just take issue with the complete lack of respect or recognition for other views that they have. Like SHAG week is this week in TCD, and it'll be the usual suspects being all cheeky about sex (like OMG) while the majority either go along with it or grin and bear it. But hey, I'm obviously a prude who would prefer that all women wore Burkhas eh? :pac:
    In fairness, it's past midnight. Look at all the mistakes I made with prefixes and the like :pac:
    Difference is your points made sense even if you did type like a Thalidomide child. :pac:

Nice post! :) Can't like it on Facebook so I'll just thank you here instead.

For a sec I thought that that Bill guy was the TCDSU president; I thought "That's a very unprofessional attitude for an SU president to have." Then realised it was the other guy.

I loved how he was trying to get us to protest and then dissed Arts degrees. What an actual moron. He was kinda pwned though, so it's all good :pac:
    I actually wish he was the TCDSU president in a sense, I could use that to get him kicked out and usurp the position myself. Mwahaha.

Did kinda annoy me how smug and self satisfied he was, too. That Bill guy, I mean. He has a bit of an attitude problem which is going to hold him back quite a bit in the future, it seems.

Thanks for the new ranting grounds. *froths at mouth*

• Advertisement

Almostnever, you're a hero - that was an excellent post on facebook!

For some reason she didn't mention the fact she has Fridays off though. :pac:

You should see me debating. :pac: Oh, to have a bit more confidence!

Still, I think I got the message across. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

I fair joined in that conversation with my political point of view.. :pac:

"I find that loltastic and ironic in the extreme."

Has to be the best sentence written in the English language - ever!

Edit: Just saw Noel's post - that is hilarious!

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    I fair joined in that conversation with my political point of view.. :pac:

Noel, you could bring World Peace to all nations. :pac: That's deep man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

"I find that loltastic and ironic in the extreme."

Has to be the best sentence written in the English language - ever!

Edit: Just saw Noel's post - that is hilarious!
    Noel, you could bring World Peace to all nations. :pac: That's deep man.

I could indeed. Thing is, I actually really hate eggs...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Even though I'm fairly sure me and AlmostNever disagree over the march, that was an excellent response. Bill Tector came across as an absolute twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

In the news this eve registration is expected to increase to 2500.

I'm off to the big smoke to shout at politicians tommorow anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Heh, I know Bill from home!

Also, almostnever- great post! And I wouldn't worry if Nikolai hates you, defo insult him on boards, especially the TCD forum as mega bantz ensue.

(Hi bbz!)

Advertisement