Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting slim Xbox to Amp

• 30-10-2010 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

Just setting up a new slim Xbox to my AV amp and I cant seem to get any picture. Its connected through HDMI and when I select the specific input on the Amp I can hear the sound but get no picture.

Any known issues out there in relation to this?

I'm trying to look around online but just thought I'd post here to see if there anything stupid that i'm not doing!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Whats the amp make and model?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Its a Pioneer VSX 1018. Its actually still not working and is wrecking my head now.

I can hear the Xbox through the speakers when I have the correct input selected but can see no picture. If I switch the inputs around I can get sound and picture of the PS3, so the input isn't broken. If I put the HDMI from the Xbox directly into the TV I can get both sound and picture so it aint a dodgy HDMI lead. I even used to be able to get the Xbox working (a different old 60GB model that broke) but since I've replaced it with a new Slim one I'm having this issue.

I was hoping that there was maybe some known issue out there but I cant really find anything definite. I can still play it but I need to go straight to the tv and therefore cant get the surround sound.

I'm using a different TV but I cant see how that would be the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

SK1979 wrote: »
    Its a Pioneer VSX 1018. Its actually still not working and is wrecking my head now.

I can hear the Xbox through the speakers when I have the correct input selected but can see no picture. If I switch the inputs around I can get sound and picture of the PS3, so the input isn't broken. If I put the HDMI from the Xbox directly into the TV I can get both sound and picture so it aint a dodgy HDMI lead. I even used to be able to get the Xbox working (a different old 60GB model that broke) but since I've replaced it with a new Slim one I'm having this issue.

I was hoping that there was maybe some known issue out there but I cant really find anything definite. I can still play it but I need to go straight to the tv and therefore cant get the surround sound.

I'm using a different TV but I cant see how that would be the issue.

did you tried to connect the xbox directly to the tv?

docentore wrote: »
    did you tried to connect the xbox directly to the tv?

Yep, when I connect the Xbox directly to the TV through the same HDMI lead I get both perfect sound and picture.

connect it directly to the tv, set it to lower resolution (720p) or try to change other display options and then see if its working through Pioneer.

or try to reset display settings:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mthree/archive/2007/08/10/xbox-360-video-080907.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Stupid question, but is your AMP connected to your TV by HDMI?

AdMMM wrote: »
    Stupid question, but is your AMP connected to your TV by HDMI?

Cheers guys, I'll have a fiddle around again.

To answer this though, yes the Amp is connected to the TV by HDMI. The AMP has 2 HDMI ins, they are occupied by a PS3 and the Xbox. The PS3 seems to work perfectly in either input. The Xbox gives me sound only (through my speakers) and no picture, again through both inputs. There then is a HMDI out which goes directly to the TV. All HDMI leads are working I think.

I'm sort of at a loss at this stage!

As an aside, is there no option in the Xbox menu to assign the sound to go out via the optical connection?

SK1979 wrote: »
    Cheers guys, I'll have a fiddle around again.

To answer this though, yes the Amp is connected to the TV by HDMI. The AMP has 2 HDMI ins, they are occupied by a PS3 and the Xbox. The PS3 seems to work perfectly in either input. The Xbox gives me sound only (through my speakers) and no picture, again through both inputs. There then is a HMDI out which goes directly to the TV. All HDMI leads are working I think.

I'm sort of at a loss at this stage!

As an aside, is there no option in the Xbox menu to assign the sound to go out via the optical connection?

I think there is, at least there was on older X360's. Try to reset the screen as per link I gave you before.

docentore wrote: »
    I think there is, at least there was on older X360's. Try to reset the screen as per link I gave you before.

Cheers for the reply Docentore, I'll try this when I get home this evening.

Gonna resurrect my own thread to explain how I solved this initial problem as it might potentially happen to more people.

If you are attempting to connect your new Xbox slim console to an amp (and cant get a picture) you'll need to change an option within the Settings menu on the Xbox. You need to go in and Disable the Display Discovery Option. Once this has been disabled, you'll need to update your display settings but then your Amp should be able to pass the signal through to your tv and you can enjoy nice surround sound.

I think this issue will apply to more HD tv's than simply my model (which was the LG PK790).

Anyway, hope this helps someone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement