Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Leonids Meteor Shower

Options
  • 30-10-2010 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭

Now I know the peak isn't until November 17th and November 18th, but you always see ones much earlier than that and much later than that. I definitely saw a meteor last night. It was a beautiful clear night and I happened to be outside briefly. I saw it out of the corner of my eye, but it was unmistakeably a meteor, and a beauty too. I know you can see a meteor on any night of the year, but any time you are out on a clear night from here on, start keeping an eye open The chances of seeing some will start to increase now, and particularly from next weekend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

I like the December Geminids- nice and colouful :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Weather permitting, it is now time to start scanning those skies. Let us know if you see anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Seen a couple tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

Hi Guys,
    Can you let me know where (roughly) in the sky I should be looking? Is it NorthEast or thereabouts?
    Thank you.

• Advertisement

Face northeast, towards the constellation of Leo, if you know it. However, it is a good idea to scan the skies a bit, rather than staring at one place. When a meteor happens, it will fly across the sky, so you can get a good look at it even if you are not staring in that direction. The meteors themselves will fly off in different directions, seeming to come from around Leo. If possible, the best thing to do is to lie down. Get a sun lounger out or just lie on the ground. You'll get a better view of more sky and so improve your chances of seeing some.

The weather forecast is for cold and frosty nights next week. That means clear skies. With a waning moon, there will be improving conditions for seeing meteors. Although we are passed the peak, there still could be plenty to be seen.

Advertisement