Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bank of Ireland moves from Laser to Visa Debit

• 30-10-2010 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Bank of Ireland (BoI) has confirmed it is to issue current account customers with Visa Debit cards in place of Laser cards from next year, as announced in the Irish Times today.

The bank said it is to begin sending one million replacement debit cards to customers during the second half of 2011.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/1029/breaking18.html

This is really useful, especially since they took my credit card away from me:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

So have TSB, although I haven't got my card yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

so we'll finally be able to buy stuff on the net, shame no one has any money anymore though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

That's what happens when you don't pay your bills Slasher!:p
    Believe me,i should know. :o

I'm with AIB so i still have my Laser card. Can Visa Debit cards be used online and everything too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

Yayyyyy!!!!Bank wont give me a credit card cuz I is cr*p with money sooo yayyyyy!!!But Im thinking of abandoning BOI at the mo as they make me angry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

About time, the Laser was/is pretty pointless. Do the gov. still charge the 20 euro levy on it? If so, how will they make up for that with the new Visa debit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

cash is king kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Visa isn't going to work properly for a while. TSB have brought them out and have had nothing but complaints. Apparently, shops need to upgrade their chip and pin devices as the Visa debit doesn't work in a lot of them at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

Debit is king, cash is so 90's

alwaysadub wrote: »
    I'm with AIB so i still have my Laser card. Can Visa Debit cards be used online and everything too?

Yup, you just use them as you would an ordinary Visa.

You can even slide them between the cheeks of hooker's arse for extras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I'm with Ulster Bank and got mine earlier this year. It's very handy as it's accepted for just about everything that a Visa credit card would.

The only thing I couldn't do with it was put down an excess deposit on a hire car. They required a credit card for some reason.

I hardly ever use my credit card anymore but still keep it for contingencies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

That's what happens when you don't pay your bills Slasher!:p
    Believe me,i should know. :o

Yep they can
    Ruu wrote: »
    About time, the Laser was/is pretty pointless. Do the gov. still charge the 20 euro levy on it? If so, how will they make up for that with the new Visa debit?

Yeah, this is just something that had to happen, it would have been foolish to be the last one to switch (looking at you AIB)

As for the levy, it's 20 on a laser and 40 on a credit card (or is it 30?) so there may be a sting there
    Also the consumer watchdog warned the banks against adding any charges for this service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Visa isn't going to work properly for a while. TSB have brought them out and have had nothing but complaints. Apparently, shops need to upgrade their chip and pin devices as the Visa debit doesn't work in a lot of them at the moment.

I've been using it for over a month and never not been able to use it in a shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Maddison wrote: »
    Yayyyyy!!!!Bank wont give me a credit card cuz I is cr*p with money sooo yayyyyy!!!But Im thinking of abandoning BOI at the mo as they make me angry.

I switched from BOI to AIB 14 years ago and BOI still make me angry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

sink wrote: »
    I've been using it for over a month and never not been able to use it in a shop.

Strange, a friend of mine works for them and said they get a lot of complaints. Must just be TSB then.

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Yup, you just use them as you would an ordinary Visa.

You can even slide them between the cheeks of hooker's arse for extras.

Oh so they're actually better than a Laser card? I want one now!

My hooker only accepts cards that are platinum or above..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

I have used my tsb visa debit card in shops and irish websites, but the first time that I used in for an international transaction it wouldn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Oh so they're actually better than a Laser card? I want one now!

My hooker only accepts cards that are platinum or above..

Sounds like she needs to be thought a lesson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Debt is king, cash is so 90's

fyp :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Now if they'll work on their online banking system to work on more then just IE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

I got mine from TSB a few months ago, the other difference is that you lose the cheque guarantee facility, for whoever still writes cheques

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I left AIB for Ulster Bank for many reasons, one being they have Visa Debit cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I got mine from TSB a few months ago, the other difference is that you lose the cheque guarantee facility, for whoever still writes cheques

PTSB only started issuing their new Visa Debit card in September of this year (or so I was told).....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I've had a Visa debit from Ulster Bank for ages now. No problems except for one shop saying that they couldn't give me cash back on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I've been using my Ulsterbank Visa Debit online and at ATMs in different countries, never given me a bit of grief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Got mine from Perm Tsb 3 weeks ago

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Got mine from Perm Tsb 3 weeks ago

:mad:

So, if I order a new ATM card will they give it to me ..

Or is it only automatically issued for those that held Laser cards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

I got mine from TSB a few weeks ago,just ring them and tell them that you want it early,i did and they posted it out to me within the week.

I haven't had any issues with it,I've used it in a lot of shops and online with no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I got mine a week or so ago.

Pete, maybe TSB are trying to give you a hint. :pac:

• Advertisement

I got mine from TSB a few weeks ago ..
    biko wrote: »
    I got mine a week or so ago.
    Pete, maybe TSB are trying to give you a hint. :pac:

Aye, looks that way alright.

Maybe they have issues with my not always having enough money in my account to meet my vast amount of direct debits.

Banks can be funny like that :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I have an Ulster Bank Visa debit card. Love that thing. Left BOI for Ulster Bank, and UB are waaaaaaay better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Is that you Brian?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭not1but4

Sweet, I was considering moving to UB for the very reason of a Visa Debt. Though have to wait 6 months before they start replacing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Could I do online shopping with this? (Unlike the Laser)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Sisko wrote: »
    Could I do online shopping with this? (Unlike the Laser)
    Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭LowOdour

As a BOI customer, do i have to wait until they issue me a visa debit card for my laser card or can i go and apply for it now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

They say that they will be accepted anywhere Visa Credit Cards are accepted but Ryanair don't accept Visa Debit I don't think, just Visa Electron.

Visa Electron is a debit card but it is a different type of debit card to the normal Visa Debit Card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

For everyone saying they are having no problems have they been checking their bank statements to make sure all their Debit card payments have actually been made?

Have been using Visa Debit with UB for a few months now, and I have had a couple of issues, usually with small stores. Some smaller shops are using a POS card reader machine which registers the payment at the till, but the payment instruction is not getting through to the bank. Has happened me twice before and am awaiting a third case now where I bought about €50 euro worth of stuff nearly two weeks ago in a shop and my account hasn't been charged yet. Before anyone asks I have made the shops and the bank aware and have paid up.

Not going to name the shops involved for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Anyone know if these cards are the same ones that dont impose that CC surcharge on ryanair bookings? Or is that just way too much to hope for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

kraggy wrote: »
    They say that they will be accepted anywhere Visa Credit Cards are accepted but Ryanair don't accept Visa Debit I don't think, just Visa Electron.

Visa Electron is a debit card but it is a different type of debit card to the normal Visa Debit Card.
    Nope, Ryanair of course accept Visa Debit.

Visa Electron is not necessarily a debit card, it can be a credit card too.

Your confusion may stem from the fact that for a while Visa Electron was the only card that Ryanair would accept without levying a €5 per passenger per flight charge. As Visa Electron cards are so rarely issued (and not issued at all in Ireland) this was a sneaky way for Ryanair to describe as an "optional extra" a charge that was unavoidable for most of its customers.

They've since changed their no-charge payment method to Mastercard prepay.

EDIT: Think I inadvertently answered your question there JohnK. To be clear, no, it's not that kind of card. Ryanair have now moved to Mastercard prepaid. Even before they did, it was with Visa Electron (and not Visa Debit) that you could avoid the charges. Entropay offer a prepaid Mastercard service and it can be used to avoid Ryanair charges but there's a charge so it only works out as better value if you're booking a lot of segments (a lot of flights or a lot of people on one flight). Haven't used it in a while so I'm not sure what the breakeven point is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

etchyed wrote: »
    Nope, Ryanair of course accept Visa Debit.

Visa Electron is not necessarily a debit card, it can be a credit card too.

Your confusion may stem from the fact that for a while Visa Electron was the only card that Ryanair would accept without levying a €5 per passenger per flight charge. As Visa Electron cards are so rarely issued (and not issued at all in Ireland) this was a sneaky way for Ryanair to describe as an "optional extra" a charge that was unavoidable for most of its customers.

They've since changed their no-charge payment method to Mastercard prepay.

EDIT: Think I inadvertently answered your question there JohnK. To be clear, no, it's not that kind of card. Ryanair have now moved to Mastercard prepaid. Even before they did, it was with Visa Electron (and not Visa Debit) that you could avoid the charges. Entropay offer a prepaid Mastercard service and it can be used to avoid Ryanair charges but there's a charge so it only works out as better value if you're booking a lot of segments (a lot of flights or a lot of people on one flight). Haven't used it in a while so I'm not sure what the breakeven point is.

Jesus, as a result of your post, I've just checked ryanair.com and they're now taking Laser????!!!

Since when? :eek:

EDIT: Just checked, they've been accepting Laser since last December!!

Aarrgghhhh!...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Also been using a visa debit care issued by Ulster Bank for the last couple of months now with no problems except my wife was trying to register her care with 3 for on line top up and it wouldn't recognise the card. She's moved to bill pay now so no issues my with the card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

kraggy wrote: »
    Jesus, as a result of your post, I've just checked ryanair.com and they're now taking Laser????!!!

Since when? :eek:

EDIT: Just checked, they've been accepting Laser since last December!!

Aarrgghhhh!...

I can't really remember a time when they didn't tbh, but I can't be sure.

EDIT: Sorry, stand corrected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Clonlad

El Weirdo wrote: »
    I've had a Visa debit from Ulster Bank for ages now. No problems except for one shop saying that they couldn't give me cash back on it.

what the problem with the cash back just a once off???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

Got my PTSB visa debit when I broke my laser last month, no issues apart from the cash back, my local shop wont give me cash now but supermarkets and large shops usually offer it. PTSB said that some small retailers are using older machines and it doesn't give the option of cashback. Its a pain in the arse because I'm miles away from the nearest ATM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/1029/breaking18.html

This is really useful, especially since they took my credit card away from me:mad:

Are they finally copping on, then?
    Bank of Ireland offering something Halifax (RIP) and Ulster Bank have been offering for ages now... what next? Will Bank of Ireland actually start to offer some form of nearly sensible online services? Where will it end?

I did it years ago and never looked back. As bad banks go, they have to be the worst.

I've had Visa Debit cards for near enough 3 years now, and never had a single issue with them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

If i phone the bank and tell them i lost my card will i get one of these, so handy the Laser is worse than useless..

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭selfbuildkk

Most importantly what about Lidl?will they accept them.Thats where I use my laser card the most, and they dont accept credit cards.

• Advertisement
Advertisement