Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bank of Ireland moves from Laser to Visa Debit

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Most importantly what about Lidl?will they accept them.Thats where I use my laser card the most, and they dont accept credit cards.

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Most importantly what about Lidl?will they accept them.Thats where I use my laser card the most, and they dont accept credit cards.

They don't, and neither does Aldi.
    Mind you, I think they're the last two chains in Ireland not accepting credit cards, and the visa debit works wherever Visa is accepted.
    It's perfect for online, I find.

Shenshen wrote: »
    They don't, and neither does Aldi..

:confused: I have used mine in Aldi plenty of times.

prinz wrote: »
    :confused: I have used mine in Aldi plenty of times.

I've never been able to use mine.
    They've got big signs up saying Laser accepted, but no credit cards.

Google tells me that no Aldi stores accept Visa, with the exception of Aldi in Australia.

I've never been able to use mine.
    They've got big signs up saying Laser accepted, but no credit cards.

The new cards are debit cards not credit. There's not a whole lot of difference between an Ulster Bank Laser card for example and an Ulster Bank Visa Debit card. They should accept a visa debit.

Here's a thread from last November on it http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63171306&postcount=5

Google tells me that no Aldi stores accept Visa, with the exception of Aldi in Australia.

Not VISA credit cards. Here's LIDL http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.service.au.sl.ser VISA DEBIT OK.

prinz wrote: »
    The new cards are debit cards not credit. There's not a whole lot of difference between an Ulster Bank Laser card for example and an Ulster Bank Visa Debit card. They should accept a visa debit.

Here's a thread from last November on it http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63171306&postcount=5

I can only quote Aldi's web-page... and the fact that they've never been able to process my debit card on the few occasions I forgot and gave it to them.

I can only quote Aldi's web-page... and the fact that they've never been able to process my debit card on the few occasions I forgot and gave it to them.

Sounds like your ALDI is rubbish, or else you are still referring to a credit card.

Another post from last January re Visa Debit...

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showpost.php?p=981934&postcount=4
    Debit cards are also accepted in the USA, the UK, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Portugal, Spain, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Ireland, Australia, Slovenia and Hungary.

ALDI wikipedia. The reference to Australia is for VISA Credit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Too late BOI, I've already moved everything over to Ulster Bank - good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Now if they'll work on their online banking system to work on more then just IE.

Works fine for me in Chrome. Never tried it in Firefox.

I'm happy to hear this news though, it's annoying not being able to buy anything online with a laser card... but didn't think it was worth getting a credit card for.

Had mine from ulster bank for months now, it's handy. I use my credit card for online things but debit for shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Y
    You can even slide them between the cheeks of hooker's arse for extras.

There's my laugh for the day! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

kraggy wrote: »
    They say that they will be accepted anywhere Visa Credit Cards are accepted but Ryanair don't accept Visa Debit I don't think, just Visa Electron.

Visa Electron is a debit card but it is a different type of debit card to the normal Visa Debit Card.
    AFAIK with Ulster Bank you can just select VISA (regular) and it should work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

I switched from AIB to Ulster Bank nearly a year ago - best move I ever made.
    The VISA Debit card is great, no problems so far. I just choose VISA on websites and it goes through.. it's great to have that to purchase something online and it's money you have, not money you don't (e.g. credit card)

With regards to BOI - know nothing about them, but UB are the nicest bank I've dealt with so far.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Trust BOI to make a bags of it, like the abomination called 365Online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Glenza69

Finally they have copped on to switch to visa debit. Not being able to use your laser on itunes was a complete joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭LowOdour

have posted this before, but can you switch to the visa debit from laser now or will we have to wait until they are issued?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Wonder if this includes business customers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

JohnK wrote: »
    Anyone know if these cards are the same ones that dont impose that CC surcharge on ryanair bookings? Or is that just way too much to hope for?

Yes they are.

UB are opening on Saturdays too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I've been using my Ulster Bank visa debit for months. No problems to report. I got my 1st visa debit a few years ago when I was living in the UK. Moved back to Ireland last year and asked PTSB who I was with since I was 16 for a Laser Card and they said no so I cleared off to Ulster Bank for the visa debit. I can't even remember when I used my credit card last.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

ive used my Ulster Bank Visa Debit in 5 countries, to buy stuff online and all over Ireland in just about every type of shop and havent had a problem yet. Very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

My laser card expires early next year, wonder if I'll be able to get it then!?

I find no problems with BOI; they gave me a generous interest free overdraft, no banking fees at all except the government levy, and I can pay my rent through BOI365. That's all I really need!

Did we accertain what government charge will be payable on visa debit cards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Laser is pointless. I have an Ulster bank Visa Debit ant it is the same as a credit card only its your own money you are pending.

Can you hire a car with one? Sorry if its been answered before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

wellboy76 wrote: »
    Laser is pointless. I have an Ulster bank Visa Debit ant it is the same as a credit card only its your own money you are pending.

Can you hire a car with one? Sorry if its been answered before

You can pay using it, but you need a proper credit card to cover the excess which is pre-authorized at the start of the rental. You can't do pre-authorizations on a debit card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

PTSB only started issuing their new Visa Debit card in September of this year (or so I was told).....

Got mine at end of July

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Zerroth

LowOdour wrote: »
    have posted this before, but can you switch to the visa debit from laser now or will we have to wait until they are issued?

Does anyone have an answer to this question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Zerroth wrote: »
    Does anyone have an answer to this question?

They have to be issued to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

Anyone know if this has started being rolled out yet to BOI Customers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I have had a Visa debit since about 2008 I think, first through Halifax RBOS (Ireland) and secondly through Ulster Bank when my current a/c moved there. If you were carrying out a lot of online transactions using actual money (as opposed to credit) it makes a big difference.

Someone earlier in the thread (Ruu I think) mentioned changes to government charges for debit cards - the movbe to Visa will not change anything. The charges are the same (€5 iirc) whether for Visa debit or Laser debt.

Credit cards are, of course, another matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 sgbrady

for all people saying will i get my card if i lose the or before it expires
    bank of ireland are replacing ALL cards in January no matter what the expiary date is on the laser card you can use paypal you can use it anywhere you see the visa sign even on itunes and thank **** they are replacing them laser is so ****ing ****!!!! but what are they gonna do with 365 online i do not know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

shock horror :eek:

outlaw pete and slasher have closed their accounts

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Is it possible to get "cash-back" on the Visa debit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Debit is king, cash is so 90's

Stealing is where it's at. I call it physical torrenting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Yep, you can do it with credit cards aswell. Debit works almost the same as Credit, except with Credit you can spend money you don't actually have. Debit comes out of your account straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Try hiring a car with a Visa Debit card. That's a sh*t storm of epic proportion and nearly every hire car company refuses the card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

sgbrady wrote: »
    bank of ireland are replacing ALL cards in January no matter what the expiary date is on the laser card

Could you link to wherever you got this info please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

Have had this with ulster bank the last couple of years ,dead handy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭skintiam

Are there charges with the visa debit card?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Yes is the usual answer.

Although, I've had an Ulster Bank Visa Debit card for about a year now, it replaced my Laser card with them.

In some shops they can't do cashback on my card (Visa Debit)....

This seems to be more a fault in their machines, probably need new software or something - it's like they don't recognise the card.

I haven't tried it recently so maybe it's been resolved, it was only one or two shops anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 sgbrady

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Could you link to wherever you got this info please?
    i got a letter in the post saying they are replacing all cards from january 2012

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Yup, you just use them as you would an ordinary Visa.

I prefer to chip & pin them :p

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

has anyone received an update on this yet now that we are almost half way thru january?
    have just found this dated 30th Nov 2011 on http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=163429
    BoI have finally confirmed the date that they will stop issuing Laser cards as January 31st 2012.

Existing customers will get the new Visa Debit card before June 30th 2012.

Source: Advertisement in todays Irish Times.

Can anyone confirm same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

dmn wrote: »
    has anyone received an update on this yet now that we are almost half way thru january?
    have just found this dated 30th Nov 2011 on http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=163429

Can anyone confirm same?

I emailed BoI in the middle of November to get more details because it had been a while since the original announcements.
    This is pretty much all they had to say, so it fits in with what you've read:

"Bank of Ireland will start rolling out our new Visa Debit cards on a phased basis between January and June 2012."

Mine will probably roll out at the end of May :rolleyes:

I'd honestly consider requesting a new card in February and paying the charge if it was going to be Visa Debit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Yup, you just use them as you would an ordinary Visa.

watch out for those algerian pimped hookers they have card skimmers installed in those arse cheeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Possibly no-one knows yet, but I'm travelling a lot over the next few months and wouldn't mind having a Visa Debit instead of the accepted-by-no-one Laser. Any idea if BoI are replacing "lost" Laser cards with them yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 GtotheD

Seconded..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Laser ftw. I got mine in november of last year. Sad to see something uniquely irish replaced by some bland american mega corporation

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭ronan.h

asked about the roll out at my local branch last week and they hadn't a lot of info about the new visa debit other than there's a test roll out happening in the coming weeks - think she said from the Ennis branch - following this the trial goes to staff. So not looking good for shorter term availability???

What other banks do a visa debit as we're heading travelling in a few months???

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

eth0 wrote: »
    Laser ftw. I got mine in november of last year. Sad to see something uniquely irish replaced by some bland american mega corporation

No, sad to see BOI hanging on for so long to something that was so uniquely Irish it was almost useless in the rest of the Euro zone. At least the Visa Debit card can be used in most countries and with a lot more suppliers. It's taken way too long for this sort of change to happen.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
Advertisement