Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Tyres and NCT

• 30-10-2010 3:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine, who's a car dealership owner, was telling me yesterday that there is talk going round the industry that the NCT people are talking about bringing in a rule/law that all tyres over 6 years old will fail the test!!. Has anyone else heard this rumour ?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I can't believe anyone would even consider having tyres 6 years and older on any vehicle, i doubt the age would fail the test, their appearance would be enough. One rule that has changed is the requirement to have and E number on all tyres, these numbers only started to appear on tyres 4 years or Younger so regardless of age if these numbers are not on your tyres, you will fail automatically.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Because of having a camper and a car I do less than 10k a year in the car. My car is coming up to 6 years old, 58k on the clock and the original tyres are still well wihin the law and they all have E marks on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Your thread depth may be legal, but you're getting dangerously close to a blow out or 4. Likely to happen while accelerating, braking or cornering, enjoy.

This is getting away from my original posting but I'll answer it anyway.

I bought my car new and it is serviced every year by the dealer I bought from. He has permanent instructions from me to do whatever he feels needs to be done (this is the 3rd car I've bought new from him) and I trust him and his mechanics. If the tyres were looking dodgy at the last service back in April I feel sure it would have been in his interest to sell me new ones!.

Now let's get back to my original question posed at the start of this thread and not try to comment on tyres in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

How will the tester know the age of the tyre.

• Advertisement

defike wrote: »
    How will the tester know the age of the tyre.

I'll check this out tomorrow but my dealer looked at my tyres and said they were '04. So perhaps there a mark/date letter on them.
    I'll get back to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭zoltar_boi

Tyre Marking are explained <<Here>>.

Just been through NCT on my car - no E marks on the back two, but passed without comment. There are signs all over the NCT office about E marks or a fail, but hey - I didn't complain.:D

Mind you, I do work with someone who failed for not having E marks - it's a visual recheck when you get the new tyres as far as I know.

zoltar_boi wrote: »
    Tyre Marking are explained <<Here>>.

Just been through NCT on my car - no E marks on the back two, but passed without comment. There are signs all over the NCT office about E marks or a fail, but hey - I didn't complain.:D

Mind you, I do work with someone who failed for not having E marks - it's a visual recheck when you get the new tyres as far as I know.

Thanks zoltar_boi, that link is very helpful for all.
    I've just looked at mine (it's stopped raining and torch is working) and they all have the date mark and e2 mark as per that link diagram. so now we know how the NCT will know if the age is going to be taken into consideration. Still haven't heard this rumour from anyone else though. top marks to you. icon14.gif

Advertisement