Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband and using VPN ?

• 30-10-2010 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭

Hi There,

I am just thinking of upgrading my Eircom broadband to UPC, but one thing in their terms and conditions is worrrying me ...

I work from home 1 or 2 days per week and I need to use a VPN to connect to my company network ..

In the UPC T&Cs they state that VPNs are not supported:

http://www.upc.ie/termsandconditions/acceptableusagepolicy/

Section 12: Use of Virtual Private Network (VPN)
    As stated above, the UPC Services are for residential use only and we do not support the use of VPN. If we find you are using VPN we may instruct you to stop using it and you must comply with this request. This is in order to prevent problems with our network and other Internet users.

Does anyone know if VPNs will work over their network, and why would UPC want tor restrict their use ? It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense ...

If I am not allowed to use VPNs, I will not be able to change providers , so I would appreciate any advice ..

Cheers,

Bob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

Hi, i use a vpn occasionally on my UPC connection to pass large files to a mate (he's on upc as well) and have never had an issue. I don't use it all that often though so maybe I'm just below the radar...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

bob11 wrote: »
    Hi There,

I am just thinking of upgrading my Eircom broadband to UPC, but one thing in their terms and conditions is worrrying me ...

I work from home 1 or 2 days per week and I need to use a VPN to connect to my company network ..

In the UPC T&Cs they state that VPNs are not supported:

http://www.upc.ie/termsandconditions/acceptableusagepolicy/

Section 12: Use of Virtual Private Network (VPN)
    As stated above, the UPC Services are for residential use only and we do not support the use of VPN. If we find you are using VPN we may instruct you to stop using it and you must comply with this request. This is in order to prevent problems with our network and other Internet users.

Does anyone know if VPNs will work over their network, and why would UPC want tor restrict their use ? It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense ...

If I am not allowed to use VPNs, I will not be able to change providers , so I would appreciate any advice ..

Cheers,

Bob

I've used UPC to work from home over VPN before and it works fine. I think the provision is mainly to stop people hosting VPNs rather than using external VPNs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I'm sure this is in relation to setting up a full VPN connection between two offices to link the two office networks together over a residential UPC connection rather than a business connection.

People use VPNs to access their work network from home over UPC everyday. I don't see this as an issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

bob11 wrote: »
    Hi There,

I use a number of different VPNs and have had no problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It could be in relation to beating Geoloaction as alternative to Proxies... For dodgy file transfers or streaming.

Or hosting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Sparky wrote: »
    I'm sure this is in relation to setting up a full VPN connection between two offices to link the two office networks together over a residential UPC connection rather than a business connection.

People use VPNs to access their work network from home over UPC everyday. I don't see this as an issue

Hi Guys,
    I am considering switching over to business upc and they dont support vpn either. I would be using it as you have described, connecting 2 computers to 3 over a vpn. What is their problem?? They wont even discuss it. Is there any alternative to vpn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Pataman wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    I am considering switching over to business upc and they dont support vpn either. I would be using it as you have described, connecting 2 computers to 3 over a vpn. What is their problem?? They wont even discuss it. Is there any alternative to vpn?

VPNs work fine UPC just won't help you is what that means...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Pataman wrote: »

VPN's should work fine with any ISP and if for some reason they block standard VPN ports then you can just move to other ports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

I work from home a lot using VPN and haven't once had any issues with UPC in the last 5 years.

Advertisement