Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking at Bus Stops should be banned

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

smoking brings you closer to God

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

The OP is an intolerant hatchet-faced wench. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Oh dear, that old chestnut.

Ask any actuary, it costs more to society for people not to smoke as smokers die younger.

This is not necessarily true. Individual cost for a smoker can be much higher.

http://www.livescience.com/health/true-cost-of-smoking-101027.html
    In Spain, a pack of cigarettes costs between $4.20 and $5.60 (€3 to €4). But factor in the cost of a premature death – a cost borne solely by the smoker – and the price tag for a pack rises to $150 (€107) for men and $105 (€75) for women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Saermegil

It's banned in other countries. Makes perfect sense. It's the same thought as banning smoking in the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Chuileog wrote: »
    Travelling by bus is so working class.

+1 Chauffeur driven is the only way to travel these days :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Have you ever seen her face?

Definition of wench
    –noun
    1. a country lass or working girl: The milkmaid was a healthy wench.

2. Usually Facetious. a girl or young woman.

3. Archaic. a strumpet.

–verb (used without object)
    4. to associate, esp. habitually, with promiscuous women.

I think your post maybe untrue and uncalled for..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

Nothing wrong with smoking at bus stops. I do it all the time but with consideration for others close by. As a smoker it does annoy me to be standing under the shelter and someone puffing away near me. It is inconsiderate and similar to actually smoking on the bus itself.

OP, you should have a word with the city planner to see if you can get bins with ash trays near bus stops moved another 10 metres down the road to prevent such hassle!

Calm down now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

What should you do if your girlfriend starts smoking??

Slow down and use a lubricant! :D

/sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

“Before going into retirement, I shall order that all the cigarette packets on sale in Europe should have on the label, in letters of fire, the slogan: 'Danger, tobacco smoke kills; danger: Cancer.”

Yes, you guessed it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

foxinsox wrote: »
    Have you ever seen her face?

Definition of wench
    –noun
    1. a country lass or working girl: The milkmaid was a healthy wench.

2. Usually Facetious. a girl or young woman.

3. Archaic. a strumpet.

–verb (used without object)
    4. to associate, esp. habitually, with promiscuous women.

I think your post maybe untrue and uncalled for..

Yes. Yes i have. She's that strumpet milkmaid at the bus stop. With the hatchet-shaped face.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I agree it's obnoxious to light up a cigarette under a bus shelter, but smoking some bit away from other people waiting on a bus is fair enough. Policing people smoking outdoors would be a bridge too far. If it's raining though, make do without a smoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Yes. Yes i have. She's that strumpet milkmaid at the bus stop. With the hatchet-shaped face.

Ah, apologies so.. :p

I just think that sometimes AH gets a bit over the top...

Isn't it supposed to be like chatting to people in the pub?

Hence if you wouldn't imply that someone is a intolerant hatchet-faced wench to their face, I just think it's a bit unfair saying it in type..

But hey, that's just my opinion..

I'm going out for a smoke now.. :D

Not even allowed smoke in my own house.. :rolleyes:
    Let alone a bus shelter.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

pmcmahon wrote: »
    however the tax income far surpasses that

I wonder. Even so, the government shouldn't be gambling the health of its citizens against tax income from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

EDIT: Wrong thread/forum

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

vonnie10 wrote: »
    Have you read all my post ? If you have then you should notice that i have acknowledged that people do have the right to smoke if they so wish !! What i am suggesting is that it is very unfair to smoke in a confined area where people congregate such as a bus stop !! Why do you think the smoking ban was brought in ? I don't wish to ban people smoking but i do think it wouldn't be a bad thing to extend the ban to areas such as bus stops. I accept it would be near impossible to enforce but it might attach more of stigma to it. At rush hour on a rainy evening i have seen up to twenty people huddle in under a small shelter and in those conditions if one were to start smoking with so many people in such close proximity the smoke does not have much room to dissapate does it ? Therefore i don't think its unreasonable to expect people to refrain from smoking in a bus shelter! Smoke out in the open all you want !!!

This, is not a confined space, I'm happy that you must live in a palace and have come accustomed to having aches all to your self but to the rest of the world confined means enclosed.

Outside the smoke will dissipate and will not cause any damage to any part of your body.

You will only develop problems from smoking by prolonged exposer so your whole argument boils down to the fact you don't like it.

Your crying over spilt milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

FFS close this fcukin thread already.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bobblepuzzle

Dudess wrote: »
    I agree it's obnoxious to light up a cigarette under a bus shelter, but smoking some bit away from other people waiting on a bus is fair enough. Policing people smoking outdoors would be a bridge too far. If it's raining though, make do without a smoke.

Why should we make do without a smoke? You stand in the rain if you don't like it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

To be honest, this thread has nothing to do with smoking and all to do with manners. I smoke. I try to distance myself from others when I do. It's just good manners and me Mammy would bate me for being rude!

But ffs, if I'm smoking and you come along after me, don't tut because I'm smoking already. That's a guarantee I'm not moving as I would naturally do in every other circumstance, because you don't have the same manners I had planned on extending to you.

Also -- to those who keep saying smoking around someone is like trying to murder them, get a bloody grip! The concentration of carcinogenic material airing from one cigarette in open-air circulation is minute and is not going to kill you or, in fact, negatively impact upon your health in any way.

ETA: And yes, I will smoke in the rain if there's even one other person in the shelter. Non-smokers and smokers should still remember that courtesy goes both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

Know what I hate....when your standing at a bus shelter minding your own business and a car drives by releasing harmful CO2 into my face, Vehicles should be banned from passing people on the pavement :rolleyes:.........COP ON!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Non smokers should be banned from bus stops. They make me feel uncomfortable when Im smoking.
    As long as the government endorses the sale of tobacco, then us smokers have every right to smoke outside.

On a personal note, I find the stench of perfume from women at bus stops to be really nauseating. It should be banned. I'd much rather the smell of B.O. over the stench of perfume on the bus.
    Ban it now. The fumes may also cause cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭vonnie10

ScumLord wrote: »
    This, is not a confined space, I'm happy that you must live in a palace and have come accustomed to having aches all to your self but to the rest of the world confined means enclosed.

Outside the smoke will dissipate and will not cause any damage to any part of your body.

You will only develop problems from smoking by prolonged exposer so your whole argument boils down to the fact you don't like it.

Your crying over spilt milk.

You pack that with twenty people at rush hour and it most certainly is confined space !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

You pack that with twenty people at rush hour and it most certainly is confined space !!!
    It must be awful for you to have to stand there.

Why not wait for the bus in a pub seeing as you already won that battle?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭vonnie10

Yeah because so many buses run through pubs!!! Silly argument !!!

It doesn't really matter how many people are standing there. Unless they've joined together to form a human shed all around you it's not confined. The smoke comes out of their mouth and disappears into thin air. You may get the smell of smoke but it'll have no effect on you other than allow you to become annoyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

We should probably just nip this on the bud and ban combustion of atoms.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

It doesn't really matter how many people are standing there. Unless they've joined together to form a human shed all around you it's not confined. The smoke comes out of their mouth and disappears into thin air. You may get the smell of smoke but it'll have no effect on you other than allow you to become annoyed.

That's it sure, smoke just magically vanishes, pollutants magically disappear. :rolleyes:

flash1080 wrote: »
    That's it sure, smoke just magically vanishes, pollutants magically disappear. :rolleyes:
    It's not magic for fecks sake it's called wind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

It's not magic for fecks sake it's called wind.

:D LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Cmdr Keen wrote: »
    Why should we make do without a smoke? You stand in the rain if you don't like it tbh

Most arrogant post ever.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement