Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking at Bus Stops should be banned

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

How is it your business if you do it in a public place where it affects other people?

theres no getting through to this person. typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

You smokers are contradicting yourself now. Some people are telling me I should ask them to move away and some are saying if I said anything to them I'd "have a serious problem on my hands"...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Einhard wrote: »
    I hate when drunken idiots ruin my night out by falling around the place. I hate when i have to side step vomit on the pavement on a Sunday morning. I hate when my wing mirrors are kicked in by said idiots. I hate that a huge proportion of road deaths are caused by drink. We should ban alcohol altogether!!

Well, all those things you mention have laws in place to deal with them so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

OutlawPete wrote: »
    + a big number.

I fucking hate women wearing too much perfume - just even walking past them and I'm brought back to what it was like attending Mass on a Sunday and having to sit in church breathing in that toxic crap.

Perhaps, much like some smokers, they are so used to the clawing stench that they don't realise just how rank they actually smell to anyone else who doesn't live surrounded by the toxic fug? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

How is it your business if you do it in a public place where it affects other people?

you do realise you have just as much responsibility to walk away as the smoker,in fact maybe more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

El Weirdo wrote: »
    You do realise that cancer isn't actually contained in the cigarettes?

Ever heard of second hand smoke? :rolleyes:

the way you say that sounds like it is illegal to smoke at a bus stop. get a life. you are mucking up your point.

main word "contained".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Well, all those things you mention have laws in place to deal with them so...

Not necessarily. There's no law against drunken idiots being, er, idiots. And the best way to stop all that I mentioned would be simply to prohibit alcohol. So Ireland can be an alcohol/nicotine free zone, and we can all proceed through life as dull little drones.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Ever heard of using your feet and walking away?

• Advertisement

pauds wrote: »
    it should be banned. its feckin rotten when you re waiting and someone stands directly behind u smokin. disgusting

dear god just move!

obvious troll is obvious however.

Not necessarily. There's no law against drunken idiots being, er, idiots. And the best way to stop all that I mentioned would be simply to prohibit alcohol. So Ireland can be an alcohol/nicotine free zone, and we can all proceed through life as dull little drones.

there are many drones going around dublin in a daze. these people look and talk like robots. the slightest little thing and they are in an uproar.

Well public drunkenness is illegal as is being a nuisance in public ie public disorder. I still do not see your point, you mentioned things that all have laws in place to deal with them.

Bottom line, you are in a tiny bus shelter, are you gonna act like a mature adult and smoke elsewhere allowing the people around you to not have to put up with smelly fumes and second hand smoke, or are you gonna be a selfish child and smoke no matter who is there, kids, adults, old people? Not saying that to you Einhard, but to smokers in general who see nothing wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

I'll tell you what's ignorant, anti-smoking nazis trying to monopolise every outdoor area in the world.

I don't smoke and I agree.

Well public drunkenness is illegal as is being a nuisance in public ie public disorder. I still do not see your point, you mentioned things that all have laws in place to deal with them.

Bottom line, you are in a tiny bus shelter, are you gonna act like a mature adult and smoke elsewhere allowing the people around you to not have to put up with smelly fumes and second hand smoke, or are you gonna be a selfish child and smoke no matter who is there, kids, adults, old people? Not saying that to you Einhard, but to smokers in general who see nothing wrong with it.

but there is nothing wrong with it! you're outdoor smoking! with wind breaking it smoke up!

i would love to blow my muck and smoke in all your faces.

Perhaps, much like some smokers, they are so used to the clawing stench that they don't realise just how rank they actually smell to anyone else who doesn't live surrounded by the toxic fug? :)

toxic fug, is everywere you are drinking it eating it inhailing it from toxic exhaust pipes on a daily basis do you want to ban all those as well ? the air is polluted as well lets ban that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

Gillo wrote: »
    Yeah just think if the loss to the exchequer and the massive profits to be made by criminal gangs, deck it let's ban milk too and news papers while we're at it.

It's a public place outdoors, if it annoys you that much either ask the person to stand away from you or move yourself.
    What about all the money that's spent by the government treating people with smoking-related illnesses?

Should I move just because I want to smoke?
    Yes. Or don't smoke.

zenno wrote: »
    like i said move away if you don't like it and stop whinging. if someone like you opened their mouth to me at a bus stop complaining that i move out of the shelter into the rain you would have a serious problem on your hands. sticking your nose into other peoples business can be dangerous.
    Come off the stage.

Ya know what I hate? People who decide to eat cheese and onion taytos at a bus stop, when there are loads of other people standing around waiting for their bus.
    We all have to stand there and inhale the horrible smell, you can't get away from it either because you don't want to walk too far away from the bus stop, plus there's often wind pushing the cheesy wafts in your face. It's even worse when it's raining and people are squashed under a tiny bus shelter. Seems to happen every time I get a bus.

I just think it's so rude and ignorant.
    Anyone else agree?

See, I hate the smell of cheese and onion tayto's.
    They make me feel sick.
    Everyone has something that annoys them.
    Do you want to ban people from wearing earphones, as I know someone that can't stand the noise of other people wearing earphones.
    Or I crack my knuckles a fair bit and some people hate that, should I be banned?
    Or young girls squealling about everything.
    So annoying.
    What about banning people talking on mobiles cause that can be so bad to have to put up with.
    Farting also should be banned.
    Or people who wear too much perfume/cologne.

In fact, anything that displays any form of individuality should be discouraged till we're all living in George Orwells worst nightmare, trooping around like the children Springfield elimentary when school uniforms were brought in!!!

If something that somebody else does annoys you, then you should be the one to avoid it.
    If someone starts damaging other peoples health by smoking near them, which people think they have the right to do, why haven't non-smokers got the right to damage smokers health by stabbing them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

pmcmahon wrote: »
    you do realise you have just as much responsibility to walk away as the smoker,in fact maybe more

How???

Whats the story with all the posters here being so aggressive about smokers having the right to smoke at bus stops.

I honestly don't know any smoker who feels that way any more. Most people living in 2010 realise that smoking is bad for them and that second hand smoke can be offensive.

Like other posters have said....its just courtesy not to smoke in a situation like that. When I did smoke I was constantly aware of what situations were acceptable and which weren't. I think its extremely anti social and inconsiderate to light up at a bus stop when there are other non smoking punters standing there. Its easy to just move away. Most smokers do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,928 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

flash1080 wrote: »
    It should be illegal to smoke.

Yeah yeah yeah, and if everybody smoker in Ireland stopped tomorrow you'd be the first to ask them to start again when Income Tax goes up to a minimum of 40%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Yes. See aboove. Move out of the queue and then you can enjoy the pristine air of Dublin city, free from all pollutants save those pumped out by selfish smokers who, we all know, club baby seals to death in their spare time, and don't believe in global warming.

I'm not from Dublin, so I can actually enjoy fresh unpolluted air, when there aren't people blowing smoke in my face of course.

• Advertisement

dolliemix wrote: »
    How???

Whats the story with all the posters here being so aggressive about smokers having the right to smoke at bus stops.
    because it's a public place where smoking is perfectly legal,not smoking is perfectly legal,the non smoker has a problem with it not the smoker so why should the smoker move?

i

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Smoking is banned at bus stops (sheltered or not) in Scotland and its enforced.

but there is nothing wrong with it! you're outdoor smoking! with wind breaking it smoke up!

I smoke :D

There is tons wrong with it, grow up. I am not talking about open spaces, I am talking about a cramped bus shelter. I don't know who these people are, there could be people who are trying to quit smoking, they could be kids, they could be pregnant women, they could be old people who have medical problems. So I choose not be a selfish git and if I want to smoke, I go elsewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

scudzilla wrote: »
    Yeah yeah yeah, and if everybody smoker in Ireland stopped tomorrow you'd be the first to ask them to start again when Income Tax goes up to a minimum of 40%

What about all the money that's spent by the government treating people with smoking-related illnesses?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

because it's a public place where smoking is perfectly legal,not smoking is perfectly legal,the non smoker has a problem with it not the smoker so why should the smoker move?

i

I think I've answered that question in my post

There are plenty of things that are perfectly legal but are very anti-social

Aldebaran wrote: »
    I'm not from Dublin, so I can actually enjoy fresh unpolluted air, when there aren't people blowing smoke in my face of course.

Ah nothin like the smell of silage in the mornin'!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

i

Its intimidating blowing poisonous fumes in my mouth. Why should I move when its the smoker trying to kill me?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Well for some eh?

You want to blow your muck in my face?!:eek:

You filthy baxtard!!

• Advertisement

knock knock HELLO this is ireland not scotland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement