Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking at Bus Stops should be banned

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

If you read through the thread, you'd see how angry some smokers are. It would be idiotic to go up to someone and ask them not to smoke near me.
    Idiotic because I could antagonize them. If people just grew up and considered non-smokers there wouldn't be a problem.

i think you're the one who has to grow up,expecting others to stand up for whats annoying you,100% coward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

zenno wrote: »
    well I agree with that point because i know how bad smoking is but i like a smoke it relaxes me when i get hysterical lol.

look. the next time i am at the bus stop i will move a good bit away from everyone and if anyone gives me any crap after doing this then i will lose it. I do not stand right beside a person when i smoke i stand a fare bit away so i will stand further away like a leper just for all you non-smokers are you happy now ?.

Who said I was a non-smoker? I used to be a heavy smoker, now it's just now and again. Just because people can look at the complaints against smoke and smokers dispassionately doesn't mean they don't smoke. For the record, when you choose to smoke you make yourself undesirable and unwanted by those who don't smoke/don't like smoke. Making the choice to inhale - and as a result exhale - poisons and carcinogens in close proximity to other people pretty much rules you out of being able to play the victim too, sorry. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

Clearly not. Your logic is completely irrational.

Ban smoking at bus stops, ha. Good one.

Well if they saw reason for it in Scotland, how is it so unfathomable here?

Well it sounded very intimidating. Plus how am I to know what sort of mood a smoker is in if I were to go up to them?
    I'm just trying to be realistic

the way you're speaking you'd swear cigarettes made you trip out into an irrational state of mind,cop on haha

pmcmahon wrote: »
    i think you're the one who has to grow up,expecting others to stand up for whats annoying you,100% coward.

It's not that I hate the smell, it's the fact that it's dangerous to my health. You smokers don't seem to grasp that you're endangering other people's health by smoking around them.

• Advertisement

a lot of their bus stops are enclosed just to add,therefore it is classed as smoking indoors

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Well why not just ask the Scottish to draw up all our laws then. Get rid of the Dail altogether. Would save us a $$$.

Does the fact that, AFAIK< the Scots are the only country in the world with such a ban, not indicate that it might be unreasonable?! Usually when there's only one nation doing anything, it's not held up as reason for others to follow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

Einhard wrote: »
    The chances of damaging one's health from second hand smoke experienced in brief encounters entirely out of doors is miniscule. The fumes from exhausts and other pollutants in any large city is far worse for the health. I don't smoke, and I welcome the smoking ban, but sometimes I think people can go a bit too far in wishing to curtail the liberties of other because they might cause them some minor inconvenience.
    Smokers are allowed to damage other peoples health, but if a non-smoker stabbed a smoker in self-defence they'd probably get done for it. It's completely unfair to non-smokers.

Clearly not. Your logic is completely irrational.

Ban smoking at bus stops, ha. Good one.
    It has been implemented in Scotland.

pmcmahon wrote: »
    the way you're speaking you'd swear cigarettes made you trip out into an irrational state of mind,cop on haha

I have seen many dodgy guys smoking in bus shelters. Plus HOW can I possibly know that the smoker isn't some psycho?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

It's not unfathomable but I'd be fair happy to be bet a months salary that it would never come into effect here.

You got the smoking ban in pubs etc, be happy ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭sean corcoran

Ya know what I hate? People who decide to have a cigarette at a bus stop, when there are loads of other people standing around waiting for their bus.
    We all have to stand there and inhale the filthy smoke, you can't get away from it either because you don't want to walk too far away from the bus stop, plus there's often wind pushing the smoke in your face. It's even worse when it's raining and people are squashed under a tiny bus shelter. Seems to happen every time I get a bus.

I just think it's so rude and ignorant.
    Anyone else agree?

think of it like this, we cant smoke indoors in the pub or cinema or planes you have your way, the only place left to smoke is in your own home or outside, if you dont like it move theres no point standing in one spot and moaning, if you stood on a nail you wouldnt just stand there and moan would you?

ill tell you what i hate smoking nazis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Up until very,very recently in ireland, there was no requirement to have ever passed a test to prove capability to drive a four ton hunk of metal at 120km/hr - I'm thinking passive smoking in the great outdoors is probably fairly low down the list of priorities/feasibly implementable proposed legislation. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The chances of damaging one's health from second hand smoke experienced in brief encounters entirely out of doors is miniscule. The fumes from exhausts and other pollutants in any large city is far worse for the health. I don't smoke, and I welcome the smoking ban, but sometimes I think people can go a bit too far in wishing to curtail the liberties of other because they might cause them some minor inconvenience.

Smoking into ones face is avoidable. 2nd hand smoke is actually more of a killer than 1st hand smoke. Smoking into people's faces at bus stops is murderous, the same as been stabbed in the back.

Well why not just ask the Scottish to draw up all our laws then. Get rid of the Dail altogether. Would save us a $$$.

Does the fact that, AFAIK< the Scots are the only country in the world with such a ban, not indicate that it might be unreasonable?! Usually when there's only one nation doing anything, it's not held up as reason for others to follow.

Ah yes, go with the majority. If most people are not doing it, it must be wrong :pac:
    Sheep mentality lol

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

xzanti wrote: »
    I'm with you 100%.. A lot of smokers tend to be very selfish, standing in doorways letting the smoke bellow back into the house/office etc is another one I hate.. Just walk the fcuk away, a few feet even, it's not that hard :rolleyes:

People getting on buses with their lungs still filled with smoke and then blowing it all over the already packed and smelly bus *vom* :mad:

People driving around with small children in their car smoking their brains out with the windows rolled up :confused: disgusting..

People sitting beside you straight after smoking and they reek of it.. UUrrrghhh..

You get the message.. I fcuking hate smoking with a passion.. unfortunately, it's something that's probably always going to be there.. I think it's either put up with it or cause conflict by making an issue out of it with people.. I'm with the quiet life option tbh..
    Lol, this is why I smoke, I'm not addicted to them at all. What I am addicted to is seeing the self righteous non smokers get their knickers all twisted up around their eyeballs in a rage over something that has little or no effect on their lives if they don't decide to let it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

gurramok wrote: »
    Smoking into people's faces at bus stops is murderous, the same as been stabbed in the back.

If it's exactly the same which would you prefer ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Who said I was a non-smoker? I used to be a heavy smoker, now it's just now and again. Just because people can look at the complaints against smoke and smokers dispassionately doesn't mean they don't smoke. For the record, when you choose to smoke you make yourself undesirable and unwanted by those who don't smoke/don't like smoke. Making the choice to inhale - and as a result exhale - poisons and carcinogens in close proximity to other people pretty much rules you out of being able to play the victim too, sorry. :p

anti-smokers are going way way overboard with this. if i move away from people out in the open and have a smoke then i cannot see the problem. judging people just because they enjoy a smoke is wrong in any mans/womans words. like i said before i would not stand close to a person and light up because that person might not like smoke near them so i always move away so i cannot see the problem here. i do not smoke on buses either or enclosed areas again what is the problem. some people out there are just braindead they need to find something to complain about all the time.

Smoking into people's faces at bus stops is murderous, the same as been stabbed in the back.

LOL! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

zenno wrote: »
    knock knock HELLO this is Ireland not Scotland.
    Maybe Ireland can follow Scotland's example and end this selfish and disgusting habit in public places where the general public including children gather.

flash1080 wrote: »
    Smokers are allowed to damage other peoples health, but if a non-smoker stabbed a smoker in self-defence they'd probably get done for it. It's completely unfair to non-smokers.

Oh for God's sake, can we be reasonable here for one bloody minute?! You're equating smoking in public to stabbing someone in the chest or something?! Listen, I don't drive. But I share in the pollutants that all drivers spew into the air. Should I have the right to attack them in self-defence?! Should the people of Vanatu, and other low lying islands in the South Pacific have the right to occasion bodily harm on you and I because our excessive energy consumption threatens their nations?! When people start equating smoking with murder and the like, they quickly lose all moderates to their cause.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Morlar wrote: »
    If it's exactly the same which would you prefer ?

Arrested? The public should be protected. Do you prefer that a mother and child at a bus stop have their lives cut short by ignorant smokers?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭sean corcoran

It's not that I hate the smell, it's the fact that it's dangerous to my health. You smokers don't seem to grasp that you're endangering other people's health by smoking around them.

can i ask you 2 questions AnneElizabeth? do you work in or live in a city?

and second can you honestly say that you never smoked in your life? because there is only a tiny population of the (adult) world that has never smoked, and yes those ''quick drags'' when you were out for a few drinks do count.

Smoking into ones face is avoidable. 2nd hand smoke is actually more of a killer than 1st hand smoke. Smoking into people's faces at bus stops is murderous, the same as been stabbed in the back.

that is the most braindead comment i have read yet.:rolleyes:

Ah yes, go with the majority. If most people are not doing it, it must be wrong :pac:
    Sheep mentality lol

I never stated that. But you're going the opposite route, and stating we should ban smoking because it's banned in Scotland. You're claiming that because ONE single nation out of almost 200 prohibit it, then it must mean that it's a reasonable measure!! And that is not necessarily the case!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Sheep mentality lol

They are not gonna see your point so don't be wasting your time.

Anyone with a bit of decency or class understands what you are saying and what the OP said. You will always get a few guys or girls who are socially inept and think "me, me, me".

These are the kinds of people who never really grow up.

Maybe Ireland can follow Scotland's example and end this selfish and disgusting habit in public places where the general public including children gather.

zod give me strength. :rolleyes:

Like streets?

Oh for God's sake, can we be reasonable here for one bloody minute?! You're equating smoking in public to stabbing someone in the chest or something?! Listen, I don't drive. But I share in the pollutants that all drivers spew into the air. Should I have the right to attack them in self-defence?! Should the people of Vanatu, and other low lying islands in the South Pacific have the right to occasion bodily harm on you and I because our excessive energy consumption threatens their nations?! When people start equating smoking with murder and the like, they quickly lose all moderates to their cause.

I agree the stabbing is a little extreme, but second hand smoke does kill.
    You can't compare smoking with driving because there is no alternative fuel in Ireland and people do have to get to work and stuff. They have no alternative. But in a few years when we get alternative fuels, then you can give out about the car fuels and I will agree :P

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

flash1080 wrote: »
    It should be illegal to smoke.

Nonsense.

Would you like to remove peoples free will too?

Refusing them medical service when the cause is smoking is one thing, but you want people to be complete wrapped up in laws.

How are you Mr. Totalitarian!

• Advertisement

Do you prefer that a mother and child at a bus stop have their lives cut short by ignorant smokers?

You need to drop this idea that every smoker is essentially murdering the public, they're not.

It's a rediculous arguement, let it go.

You're totally over-selling the idea that second hand smoke kills.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement