Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking at Bus Stops should be banned

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

They are not gonna see your point so don't be wasting your time.

Anyone with a bit of decency or class understands what you are saying and what the OP said. You will always get a few guys or girls who are socially inept and think "me, me, me".

These are the kinds of people who never really grow up.

Ah but those who resort to ad hominem attacks on people who hold a different opinion are socially well adjusted eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

, and yes those ''quick drags'' when you were out for a few drinks do count.
    No they don't, your body is repairing itself constantly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

You need to drop this idea that every smoker is essentially murdering the public, they're not.

It's a rediculous arguement, let it go.

You're totally over-selling the idea that second hand smoke kills.
    second hand smoke kills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

You need to drop this idea that every smoker is essentially murdering the public, they're not.

It's a rediculous arguement, let it go.

You're totally over-selling the idea that second hand smoke kills.

How over selling? Why was smoking banned inside public buildings in the first place?

Yes you see, smoking especially 2nd hand smoke kills and the law was brought in to protect the victims of such poisonous fumes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

flash1080 wrote: »
    second hand smoke kills

Quit trolling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

can i ask you 2 questions AnneElizabeth? do you work in or live in a city?

and second can you honestly say that you never smoked in your life? because there is only a tiny population of the (adult) world that has never smoked, and yes those ''quick drags'' when you were out for a few drinks do count.

No I don't and I have never ever smoked and I never will. I know loads of people who've gotten cancer from cigarettes which makes me hate the things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Einhard wrote: »
    Ah but those who resort to ad hominem attacks on people who hold a different opinion are socially well adjusted eh?

It was not aimed at you, but I can see why you would think that, my bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

Quit trolling

Quit smoking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

ScumLord wrote: »
    No they don't, your body is repairing itself constantly.

scumlord needs a lesson in biology

They are not gonna see your point so don't be wasting your time.

Anyone with a bit of decency or class understands what you are saying and what the OP said. You will always get a few guys or girls who are socially inept and think "me, me, me".

These are the kinds of people who never really grow up.

Thanks, you're right. People only see what they want to see. This is rather pointless..

• Advertisement

second hand smoke kills
    Not when your outdoors.

I agree the stabbing is a little extreme, but second hand smoke does kill.

Second hand smoke encountered for brief periods in the open does not kill, and has only a minisucle chance of damaging one's health in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

No I don't and I have never ever smoked and I never will. I know loads of people who've gotten cancer from cigarettes which makes me hate the things.

?. theres tons of different cancers. just because someone gets cancer doesn't mean they get it from smoking.

Quit smoking

As stated before, I don't smoke.

Read the thread in full.

Troll

zenno wrote: »
    scumlord needs a lesson in biology
    One or two cigarettes in your lifetime isn't going to have a significant effect on your lifespan.

gurramok wrote: »
    How over selling? Why was smoking banned inside public buildings in the first place?

Yes you see, smoking especially 2nd hand smoke kills and the law was brought in to protect the victims of such poisonous fumes.

There is a major difference between being exposed to concentrated quanties of second hand smoke over a long period of time in an indoor setting, and encountering it for the briefest of periods in the open air. What on earth is so difficult to grasp here?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Cars don't drive into people at bus stops. Have you heard, smoking kills and blowing smoke into someones face is a form of attempted murder :mad:

I think its very rude to smoke near other people but attempted murder? maybe a little bit of exageration there, and I meant car fumes not driving into bus stops. A tiny bit of smoke that you might inhale will not kill you, smokig for years will.

Second hand smoke encountered for brief periods in the open does not kill, and has only a minisucle chance of damaging one's health in any way.

A bus shelter with people jammed against each other is nearly a confined space hence the justified concern for the OP's health. If the smoker had manners, they would move outside the bus shelter rain hail or shine and do the honourable thing in keeping the fumes to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭sean corcoran

smoking does not give you cancer, it increases the risk of cancer, the fact is you can get cancer from everything, food, water, car fumes, even sunlight will all give you cancer so dont bother with the cancer argument

zenno wrote: »
    ?. theres tons of different cancers. just because someone gets cancer doesn't mean they get it from smoking.

Lung cancer? Anyways what's the point in questioning why I hate cigarettes? I hate them because it is proven that they kill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

They should just ban smoking altogether. I hate being at the bus stop, looking all nice to go out, and then some idiot comes along and smokes next to and then you smell like smoke :mad:

Maybe we should ban going out too? I hate people that drink. BAN IT ALL!!! Wheres Jooooooeeeeee Dufffeeeeh when you need him?

There is a major difference between being exposed to concentrated quanties of second hand smoke over a long period of time in an indoor setting, and encountering it for the briefest of periods in the open air. What on earth is so difficult to grasp here?!

What does it matter even if it's for a second? It's still poison to our body and we don't want to be subject to it.

Lung cancer? Anyways what's the point in questioning why I hate cigarettes? I hate them because it is proven that they kill.
    That can't be true, I've been smoking cigarettes all day and I'm still alive.

A bus shelter with people jammed against each other is nearly a confined space hence the justified concern for the OP's health. If the smoker had manners, they would move outside the bus shelter rain hail or shine and do the honourable thing in keeping the fumes to themselves.

A bus shelter "jammed" is never going to be the same as smoking indoors. There is no wall on a bloody bus shelter. How on earth is the smoke supposed to circulate and kill you?!

Get off your high horse with this crap of having manners and being honorable. No one is going to step outside the bus shelter in the teeming rain just so some tree hugger will think mightily of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Cars don't drive into people at bus stops

yes they do :confused:

A bus shelter "jammed" is never going to be the same as smoking indoors. There is no wall on a bloody bus shelter. How on earth is the smoke supposed to circulate and kill you?!

Get off your high horse with this crap of having manners and being honorable. No one is going to step outside the bus shelter in the teeming rain just so some tree hugger will think mightily of him.

Yes, when you have people jammed beside each other at a bus stop, the smoke does not rise immediately as the bus shelter has a roof(you know what that is?!), it goes in a horizontal direction for a few seconds before evaporating.
    For those few seconds a child can be infected with a life threatening illness from 2nd hand smoke and I think your attitude is disgraceful to human life.:mad:
    bigneacy wrote: »

yes they do :confused:

How?

What does it matter even if it's for a second? It's still poison to our body and we don't want to be subject to it.

It matters because you want to ban something which poses a minimal second hand health rish in a public environment. In order to curtail the liberties of others, you'll need a stornger argument than "I don't like it".

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭WillyWaggler

TheZohan wrote: »

I find the smell of cheap perfume or people farting way more offensive, can we ban that too?

No because they're not bad for your health, depending on what they've had for dinner of course. ;)

It matters because you want to ban something which poses a minimal second hand health rish in a public environment. In order to curtail the liberties of others, you'll need a stornger argument than "I don't like it".

Replace that with: It damages health :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭sean corcoran

No because they're not bad for your health, depending on what they've had for dinner of course. ;)

actually over exposure to methane gas is bad for you

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement