Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking at Bus Stops should be banned

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

I hate when I'm cycling to work and diesel fumes from a bus nearly chokes me.

Let's ban buses.

OP, it is common courtesy. Just get on with it. There are dicks everywhere.

Yours, etc,

Smoker

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Replace that with: It damages health :)

Yes, it does. But to a miniscule degree. Not enough to warrant the curtailment of civil liberties. And many of the posts here have revolved around how people hate the smell of smoke etc, so it's not just an argument on the health impact of smoking.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Einhard wrote: »
    So not only do you think that smoking should be banned at bus stops, but that there should be a mandatory waiting period before someone who has just smoked is allowed on a bus? And that those who smoke should be prohibited from occupying the same space as non-smokers after they've had a fag?! Why not segregate the baxtards altogether?! District 9 for smokers. Seriosuly...

Can you point out where in my post I said that???

I agree that it is disgusting and annoying, but I also said there wasn't much that could be done about it.. As for prohibiting smokers from occupying the same space as me.. :rolleyes: I fcuking wish!

Read my post properly before you go mounting your saddle there pal..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

gurramok wrote: »
    Yes, when you have people jammed beside each other at a bus stop, the smoke does not rise immediately as the bus shelter has a roof(you know what that is?!), it goes in a horizontal direction for a few seconds before evaporating.
    For those few seconds a child can be infected with a life threatening illness from 2nd hand smoke and I think your attitude is disgraceful to human life.

You really need to calm down about this. My attitude is not "disgraceful to human life". I've not once said that I approve of people smoking in bus shelters. I just don't see the need for bible bashers such as yourself to go to the extreme and call it murder. That's an outrageous statement to make.

Anyways, I'm done posting here. This thread is just 12 pages of repetitive posts.

Don't take life so seriously dude. Stress will kill you and we all know how you feel about things that kill.

Peace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Einhard wrote: »
    Like streets?
    You cannot compare smoking on streets to smoking at a bus stop. People on streets are in constant flow while those at a bus stop are bunched together, some having taken their place in a queue and would be reluctant to lose their place if some idiot decides to light up next to them.

Smoking should also be banned around ATM machines and anywhere else where people congregate in groups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭sean corcoran

has anyone else not thought of the fact that there is so much tax on cigarettes and with the amount of smokers in this country that if we were to ban them ireland would not be able to afford to stay on a world map? there would be so much less money coming in to the governments hands they would not be able to afford simple things like hospitals and healthcare

so to sum it up smoking is good for us, we keep hospitals open and schools running

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Replace that with: It damages health :)
    In the same way scraping your finger is damaging to your health.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Get out of town OP. Seriously. Out of town. Far, far away. Maybe you'll get some smoke-free time then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

has anyone else not thought of the fact that there is so much tax on cigarettes and with the amount of smokers in this country that if we were to ban them ireland would not be able to afford to stay on a world map? there would be so much less money coming in to the governments hands they would not be able to afford simple things like hospitals and healthcare

so to sum it up smoking is good for us, we keep hospitals open and schools running

What about all the money that's spent by the government treating people with smoking-related illnesses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Funny_Smoking_Sign.ashx.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

You really need to calm down about this. My attitude is not "disgraceful to human life". I've not once said that I approve of people smoking in bus shelters. I just don't see the need for bible bashers such as yourself to go to the extreme and call it murder. That's an outrageous statement to make.

Anyways, I'm done posting here. This thread is just 12 pages of repetitive posts.

Don't take life so seriously dude. Stress will kill you and we all know how you feel about things that kill.

Peace

Such a selfish attitude. Smoke is a poisonous fume and you have no problem whatsover blowing it into non-smokers faces. Its unreal that you cannot see the concern.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

Yes that has been mentioned already. That's the only reason it hasn't been banned. Along with the possibility of crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Jebus H Christ. After reading all the pages in this thread, I just think "What a load of utter crap". Smoking kills, smoking can cause cancer, yes, EVERYONE surely know that nowadays. AnneElizabeth, smokers are well within their rights to light up, OUTSIDE. Where would you prefer they do that, on the moon..? You paint the picture of smokers purposely lighting up, trying to kill innocent people. Move away if the secondhand smoke annoys you, it's not that hard, and maybe also stop being such a moan, and start acting like an adult. Or, have a cigarette, mmmmmmm, that might mellow you out a little :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I hate people drinking in pubs. Like whats their problem? I leave the place smelling of crappy alcohol. Its disgusting and makes me sick.

We should ban it, infact im gonna ring joe first thing monday and tell him what I think.

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    I hate people drinking in pubs. Like whats their problem? I leave the place smelling of crappy alcohol. Its disgusting and makes me sick.

We should ban it, infact im gonna ring joe first thing monday and tell him what I think.
    Congratulations! You've missed the point!

flash1080 wrote: »
    What about all the money that's spent by the government treating people with smoking-related illnesses?

and where did most of that money come from in the first place?

check mate flash

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

What does it matter even if it's for a second? It's still poison to our body and we don't want to be subject to it.

So can we ban all poisons that we do not like? Like car fumes? Factories?

and where did most of that money come from in the first place?

check mate flash

The tax on cigarettes. It renders your point invalid. Well done.

The tax on cigarettes. It renders your point invalid. Well done.

flash thats the point i just argued cheers for proving it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Congratulations! You've missed the point!

No need for the congrats. I got the point. But its already been discussed so Im not gonna go round and round with a stupid argument. So I added some intelligence to it all.
    Such a selfish attitude. Smoke is a poisonous fume and you have no problem whatsover blowing it into non-smokers faces. Its unreal that you cannot see the concern.:mad:

Not as if your gonna get cancer from a small bit of smoke exposure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Yes, when you have people jammed beside each other at a bus stop, the smoke does not rise immediately as the bus shelter has a roof(you know what that is?!), it goes in a horizontal direction for a few seconds before evaporating.
    For those few seconds a child can be infected with a life threatening illness from 2nd hand smoke and I think your attitude is disgraceful to human life.:mad:

How?

Smoking does not infect you, that would be germs. You do not catch cancer like a cold.
    Fair eough if you dont like it but really cut the whole think of the children bit.

CaSCaDe711 wrote: »
    Jebus H Christ. After reading all the pages in this thread, I just think "What a load of utter crap". Smoking kills, smoking can cause cancer, yes, EVERYONE surely know that nowadays. AnneElizabeth, smokers are well within their rights to light up, OUTSIDE. Where would you prefer they do that, on the moon..? You paint the picture of smokers purposely lighting up, trying to kill innocent people. Move away if the secondhand smoke annoys you, it's not that hard, and maybe also stop being such a moan, and start acting like an adult. Or, have a cigarette, mmmmmmm, that might mellow you out a little :D

Why should an innocent child waiting for the bus have to move away because a selfish smoker is trying to kill them with poisonous fumes?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Only back to state, FOR THE 3rd TIME, I do not smoke!

So can we ban all poisons that we do not like? Like car fumes? Factories?

There are laws and restrictions relating to those emissions, and factories and vehicles have significant benefits. Smoking doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Well its a race between dying from poisonous fumes and dying from the effects of your cells burning oxygen for fuel which surprisingly does allot of damage to the cells and is the root cause of ageing last I heard.

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Not as if your gonna get cancer from a small bit of smoke exposure?

2nd hand smoke kills.
    Smoking does not infect you, that would be germs. You do not catch cancer like a cold.
    Fair eough if you dont like it but really cut the whole think of the children bit.

Children wait at bus stops too. Why try to make their life a misery by giving them cancer?:confused::eek:

Why should an innocent child waiting for the bus have to move away because a selfish smoker is trying to kill them with poisonous fumes?

why should an innocent child be standing at a bus stop alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭jethro081

Ya know what I hate? People who decide to have a cigarette at a bus stop, when there are loads of other people standing around waiting for their bus.
    We all have to stand there and inhale the filthy smoke, you can't get away from it either because you don't want to walk too far away from the bus stop, plus there's often wind pushing the smoke in your face. It's even worse when it's raining and people are squashed under a tiny bus shelter. Seems to happen every time I get a bus.

I just think it's so rude and ignorant.
    Anyone else agree?

eeem, at the risk of sounding blunt and a tad rude

go f uck yourself you ignorant self important twat. its outside in the open air, deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Completely irrelevant point from the OP as the fumes coming out of the 1078 cars and 345 trucks and 45 buses that pass you at the bus stop are much worse for your health than a guy/girl puffing on a cigarette.
    Idea, lets ban cars!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

They should just ban smoking altogether. I hate being at the bus stop, looking all nice to go out, and then some idiot comes along and smokes next to and then you smell like smoke :mad:

Everyone ends up looking like crap and smelling like crap at the end of the night anyway. You're just getting a head start. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement