Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking at Bus Stops should be banned

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

flash1080 wrote: »
    There are laws and restrictions relating to those emissions, and factories and vehicles have significant benefits. Smoking doesn't.

Still doesnt make them safe?

Smoking has its benefits alright, tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

gurramok wrote: »
    Why should an innocent child waiting for the bus have to move away?

You answered your own question
    because a selfish smoker is trying to kill them with poisonous fumes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

2nd hand smoke kills.

Children wait at bus stops too. Why try to make their life a misery by giving them cancer?:confused::eek:

oh ffs, you are not going to give somebody cancer by smoking beside them at a bus stop. Smoking is not an infectious disease, they are at as much danger from the cars going past, go and read up a little on second hand smoke and how the risks work.

There are laws and restrictions relating to those emissions, and factories and vehicles have significant benefits. Smoking doesn't.

yes it does, you cant smoke indoors? there is your restriction. (I meant restrictions not benefits, I agree with you on that)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

flash thats the point i just argued cheers for proving it

You said something along the lines of smoking helps "keep hospitals open and schools running". The tax on cigarettes is spent on treating smoking-related illnesses. Wouldn't it be great if our health service wasn't over-run, having to treat people with smoking-related illnesses.

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Still doesnt make them safe?

Smoking has its benefits alright, tax.

Tax which is spent on treating people with smoking-related illnesses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

ScumLord wrote: »
    You answered your own question

Thanks. So a smoker should move away when lighting up. Agreed.
    oh ffs, you are not going to give somebody cancer by smoking beside them at a bus stop. Smoking is not an infectious disease, they are at as much danger from the cars going past, go and read up a little on second hand smoke and how the risks work.

If you blow your smoke into a childs face at the us stop, that child will cough badly because its poisoning her lungs which in turn help bring cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

jethro081 wrote: »
    eeem, at the risk of sounding blunt and a tad rude

go f uck yourself you ignorant self important twat. its outside in the open air, deal with it.

Banned

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ghetto Cornetto

BUS ****!

:p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I would like to see something to back that up?

If you blow your smoke into a childs face at the us stop, that child will cough badly because its poisoning her lungs which in turn help bring cancer.

ah come on. What sort of a sick fecker would blow smoke on a childs face?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Only peasants use public transport

Your health is no concern of mine

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

smoking ,non smoking , his rights , her rights ,their rights ....araggggh

Right that's it, I'm off to go live on a different planet .:(

Fact that I've being told for years I already live on another one is beside the point . :pac:

/goes to get evicted from planet earth

No, I thought you where quite clear in saying the child should respect his elders and remove himself from the scene and I agreed with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

ah come on. What sort of a sick fecker would blow smoke on a childs face?

Its unavoidable at a packed bus shelter. Can you not see this?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭sean corcoran

and every other person admitted to hospital, ill tell you this flash an irish box of cigarettes has roughly €6.50 government tax on it, the average smoker smokes one box a day about one quarter of irish people are known smokers (forget about the 60 a day smokers and the teenagers who smoke) thats 6 and a half million euro a day going back into the pockets of the irish government dont complain about smokers embrace the fact that we are the reason that ireland has one of the best life standards in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

This thread has become a joke now. Neither side are making valid arguments.
    I accept that some people do not see things the way I do. I never expected to change anyone's mind, just thought it would make an interesting thread.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

...just thought it would make an interesting thread.

Well, where is it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

Well, where is it?!

I found it to a very interesting read :) Especially the "Burn the witch" comment :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

This thread has become a joke now. Neither side are making valid arguments.
    I accept that some people do not see things the way I do. I never expected to change anyone's mind, just thought it would make an interesting thread.
    Thank christ for that, we'd be living in a nanny state :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Jesus, let people have a smoke in peace once in a while.

I was having a fag whilst walking down the street to the pub a while back when I heard some bint comment loudly on how 'ignorant' it was to smoke on the street. I can't smoke in a restaurant, I can't smoke in a pub; let me smoke as I walk between the two!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

kylith wrote: »

I was having a fag whilst walking down the street to the pub a while back when I heard some bint comment loudly on how 'ignorant' it was to smoke on the street. I can't smoke in a restaurant, I can't smoke in a pub; let me smoke as I walk between the two!

You should have slid off your trousers and took a **** in front of her.

It would put her retarded comment in perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭vonnie10

I don't smoke never have, never will think its disgusting. It's a conscious decision i've made just as the smoker made a conscious decision to smoke and thats fine its legal. However having made that conscious decision why should i be subjected to peoples second hand smoke? Smoking out in the open or on the street? Fine you're not harming or disturbing anybody except yourself but a bus stop IS a confined area where people congregate and while its not illegal people should have a bit common sense and courtesy and not impose it on other people but of course we don't live in an ideal world and people will behave in a manner that suits themselves alas... As for banning smoking completely? Well as much as i hate it that would be one step short of a dictatorship but i do think anybody that starts needs their head examined not only is it extremely harmful for your health it smells rank and makes ya look like a complete knacker any measures that would be introduced that would discourage smoking should be welcomed
    oh and to the poster that suggested that second hand smoke out in the open isn't harmful: Second HAND SMOKE ANYWHERE IS HARMFUL !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

kylith wrote: »

In Japan it is considered rude and ignorant to walk down busy city streets while smoking. Its just not done over there. They complain when tourists do it all the time and take it as an insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

OP would you sit in the smoking area on a nice sunny day out of curiosity?

vonnie10 wrote: »
    I don't smoke never have, never will think its disgusting. It's a conscious decision i've made just as the smoker made a conscious decision to smoke and thats fine its legal. However having made that conscious decision why should i be subjected to peoples second hand smoke? Smoking out in the open or on the street? Fine you're not harming or disturbing anybody except yourself but a bus stop IS a confined area where people congregate and while its not illegal people should have a bit common sense and courtesy and not impose it on other people but of course we don't live in an ideal world and people will behave in a manner that suits themselves alas... As for banning smoking completely? Well as much as i hate it that would be one step short of a dictatorship but i do think anybody that starts needs their head examined not only is it extremely harmful for your health it smells rank and makes ya look like a complete knacker any measures that would be introduced that would discourage smoking should be welcomed
    oh and to the poster that suggested that second hand smoke out in the open isn't harmful: Second HAND SMOKE ANYWHERE IS HARMFUL !!!
    That's not POSSIBLE!!

The reason you have to put up with it is because you live in a human community, if you don't like having to put up with other humans doing things the best thing to do would be to move out to one of them lonely houses out in the country. If you do want to live within a large community of people you have to accept that their going to do things you don't like or agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Smoking is cool. And spitting.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Bloody anti smokers. fúck the lot of you.

I smoke at the bus stop so you can inhale it and die. that way, we won't have to listen to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

That_Guy wrote: »
    OP would you sit in the smoking area on a nice sunny day out of curiosity?

You mean what was known pre-smoking ban legislation as; the beer garden? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

In Japan it is considered rude and ignorant to walk down busy city streets while smoking. Its just not done over there. They complain when tourists do it all the time and take it as an insult.

In Japan the also have naked festivals where they throw mud at each other.Last time I checked this was Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Stupidly Naked

While Smoking does generate tremendous money for our economy, I hate smoking. In saying that however, if you want to smoke, smoke, but please refrain from doing it around children and non-smokers. The vast majority of non-smokers despise the smell of cigarette smoke. I agree with the OP to the extent that in a bus shelter it shouldn't be allowed, it is, to be honest; ignorant. However, it is ignorant for us non-smokers to expect the smoker to go into the rain.
    What I propose is this. Both sides of this argument have a little bit of cop on.
    Smokers, smoke where its legal, but if you are able to do it in a way that doesnt affect the people around you ( blow the smoke away from them etc ) . Non Smokers need to realise that smokers are addicts , and them lighting up isnt ignorant, its a habit.

BOTH PARTIES CAN LIE

Example for a smoker: "Do you mind if I smoke I was just in a long meeting and have a craving"

Example for NonSmoker : "Would you mind not smoking? Im pregnant."

Both parties need to show some decency towards each other. Us non smokers need to get off our high horse also.

/rant

-Kev

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement