Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking at Bus Stops should be banned

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

You mean what was known pre-smoking ban legislation as; the beer garden? :pac:

Yeah. :)

The reason I ask is because I know people who come out in the smoking area on a nice day and complain about the smoke. FFS, it's a smoking area. An area designed for smokers.

Jesus wept. The holier than thou comments from people in this thread are just laughable really.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

In Japan it is considered rude and ignorant to walk down busy city streets while smoking. Its just not done over there. They complain when tourists do it all the time and take it as an insult.
    Yeah, but the Japanese are bloody mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

That_Guy wrote: »
    Yeah. :)

The reason I ask is because I know people who come out in the smoking area on a nice day and complain about the smoke. FFS, it's a smoking area. An area designed for smokers....

Complaints about smokers daring to smoke in an area designated for that purpose is just stupid, I think most people would agree with that. I'm not sure I'd view a beer garden in a pub and a bus stop where I stand in my best suit on my way to work/interview/date as the same scenario, though...with one I don't care if I smell like beer and smoke & I've opted to go there, the other I clearly do care and I haven't consciously decided to enter a smoking area.

That said, it would have to be an exceptionally calm day/enclosed bus shelter for smoke to cause any more impact than a smelly person or one of those biddy's that bathes in cheap perfume that pete doesn't like...

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

gurramok wrote: »
    Why should an innocent child waiting for the bus have to move away because a selfish smoker is trying to kill them with poisonous fumes?

I'm with you 100% on that, and assume most people are too, no child should have to inhale someone's cigarette smoke, in which case the parent could kindly mention it to the smoker, or could his/herself move with the child a few feet away. But to say "a selfish smoker is trying to kill them with poisonous fumes?", what a massive load of crap that comment is. I doubt any smoker on this planet intentionally strolls around looking for public places to light up "to kill" anyone that may be there. Ridiculous :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭vonnie10

ScumLord wrote: »
    That's not POSSIBLE!!

The reason you have to put up with it is because you live in a human community, if you don't like having to put up with other humans doing things the best thing to do would be to move out to one of them lonely houses out in the country. If you do want to live within a large community of people you have to accept that their going to do things you don't like or agree with.

Have you read all my post ? If you have then you should notice that i have acknowledged that people do have the right to smoke if they so wish !! What i am suggesting is that it is very unfair to smoke in a confined area where people congregate such as a bus stop !! Why do you think the smoking ban was brought in ? I don't wish to ban people smoking but i do think it wouldn't be a bad thing to extend the ban to areas such as bus stops. I accept it would be near impossible to enforce but it might attach more of stigma to it. At rush hour on a rainy evening i have seen up to twenty people huddle in under a small shelter and in those conditions if one were to start smoking with so many people in such close proximity the smoke does not have much room to dissapate does it ? Therefore i don't think its unreasonable to expect people to refrain from smoking in a bus shelter! Smoke out in the open all you want !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Ya know what I hate? People who decide to have a cigarette at a bus stop, when there are loads of other people standing around waiting for their bus.
    We all have to stand there and inhale the filthy smoke, you can't get away from it either because you don't want to walk too far away from the bus stop, plus there's often wind pushing the smoke in your face. It's even worse when it's raining and people are squashed under a tiny bus shelter. Seems to happen every time I get a bus.

I just think it's so rude and ignorant.
    Anyone else agree?

Strange coincidence that three leading facist leaders, Benito Mussolini, Franco, & Adolf Hitler, all abstained from tobacco and smoking?

vonnie10 wrote: »
    Have you read all my post ? If you have then you should notice that i have acknowledged that people do have the right to smoke if they so wish !! What i am suggesting is that it is very unfair to smoke in a confined area where people congregate such as a bus stop !! Why do you think the smoking ban was brought in ? I don't wish to ban people smoking but i do think it wouldn't be a bad thing to extend the ban to areas such as bus stops. I accept it would be near impossible to enforce but it might attach more of stigma to it. At rush hour on a rainy evening i have seen up to twenty people huddle in under a small shelter and in those conditions if one were to start smoking with so many people in such close proximity the smoke does not have much room to dissapate does it ? Therefore i don't think its unreasonable to expect people to refrain from smoking in a bus shelter! Smoke out in the open all you want !!!

It's outside FFS.

don't bus shelters have a roof and three walls ?

vonnie10 wrote: »
    don't bus shelters have a roof and three walls ?

Yes, with a big opening at the front for you to walk out of. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

What's worse is when people decide to smoke during concerts or in big crowds :mad:

• Advertisement

which on a rainy day will more than likely be full of people trying to stand in from the rain

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

seanbmc wrote: »
    What's worth is when people decide to smoke during concerts or in big crowds :mad:

if i really need a smoke at a concert i am not going to walk about 500 metres through crowds and back just to satisfy you

pmcmahon wrote: »
    if i really need a smoke at a concert i am not going to walk about 500 metres through crowds and back just to satisfy you

I'm sick of being burned by some inconsiderate cúnt who decides to light up in the middle of the show when people are dancing and moving around, I can deal with the smoke to some extent. And you won't be just making me happy you will be making lots of other people happy too.

I'm sick of being burned by some inconsiderate cúnt who decides to light up in the middle of the show when people are dancing and moving around, I can deal with the smoke to some extent. And you won't be just making me happy you will eb making lots of other people happy too.

i don't want to make other people happy,i want to make me happy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

While Smoking does generate tremendous money for our economy

What about the costs to the exchequer of providing healthcare to the idiots who smoke themselves into a serious illness? The state can't refuse to pay for said care or people would be dropping like flies.

Talk about arrogance. Do without ffs.

Drinking and smoking are the two SCOURGES on Irish society. Not because people are addicted to smokes, or because a few drinks is bad - but because drink and smoke turn people into fúcking assholes almost without exception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I hate all this 'smokers rights' nonsense. Why the hell do people think they have the right to blow their toxic smoke all over other people and throw their filthy cigarette butts all over the place?

And what's with the attitude of "you should move if you don't like it"? That's like pissing in the street and saying "if any splashes on you it's your fault for not moving".

sdonn wrote: »
    What about the costs to the exchequer of providing healthcare to the idiots who smoke themselves into a serious illness? The state can't refuse to pay for said care or people would be dropping like flies.

however the tax income far surpasses that

I bet all these negative people towards smokers are those "only smoke when really drunk" type of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Grimes wrote: »
    In Japan the also have naked festivals where they throw mud at each other.Last time I checked this was Ireland.

Two more points for the Japanese. Just because this is Ireland, doesn't make it right or wrong.

I'm usually against militant anti-personal habits ****e, but having skimmed through the thread and read some of the crap put forward by the smoking I'm changing my mind. I have no problem with you smoking, as long as it doesn't bother me. I have no problem with you doing whatever you want as long as it doesn't directly effect me. If it does, the emphasis is on you to either tone down or move, not me. It's like saying to the neighbours if your music is too loud, **** off and sleep in a hotel or something.

Like most other things, you have the right to smoke outside whereever you want, but with that comes responsibilities. Not annoying people by your actions - be they smoking or otherwise - being chief amongst them.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Talk about arrogance. Do without ffs.

Drinking and smoking are the two SCOURGES on Irish society. Not because people are addicted to smokes, or because a few drinks is bad - but because drink and smoke turn people into fúcking assholes almost without exception.
    note my first post on this page.

• Advertisement

note my first post on this page.

Yeah it proves his point tbh.

Yeah it proves his point tbh.

proves a point but who'd be the real winner in the situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 science_ed

Try walking the three feet to stand upwind of the smoker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

ftw :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

I've been smoking for years..

I hate it..

I don't smoke at bus stops..
    I have a car that stinks to high heaven of cigarette smoke..

I would never light a smoke on top of people..

I think it's up to the smoker to move..

I personally don't think it's fair for a non-smoker to have to breathe in my smoke...

If I was smoking on the street with nobody around me and someone made a smart comment, I would be pee'd off.

If someone was eating near me in a beer garden/smoking area..
    I would move away from them if I wanted to have a smoke..

That's just me.. :)

I wish women smothered in yuck perfume would move away from me.. :(

I wish men slathered in crap aftershave would move away from me.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bobblepuzzle

Given the general publics anger with the economy etc... I would advise against telling someone to smoke elsewhere, particularly at a train station or bus shelter... because the response would may be "go **** yourself" I know thats what I'd say....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

I smoked for years and gave it up. The smell of smoke off smokers makes me realise how it must have came off me when i smoked and it disgusts me. I make a point of telling anyone i know who smokes do they know what it does to them, of course they dont pay attention and just laugh it off, but i'd rather make some sort of effort to help them, even if it helps just one to give up, then it would be worth them all telling me to piss off and stop being a nag.

If someone is stupid enough to smoke, then they know what can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Oh dear, that old chestnut.

Ask any actuary, it costs more to society for people not to smoke as smokers die younger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bobblepuzzle

I've lit up in bus shelters, train stations etc packed with people on rainy days.... not once has anyone asked me to move away, probably because they relise its raining... but even if its not, it is my right to do so and if you don't like it, you move away tbh. And no, I do not blow smoke into other peoples faces which some anti smokers seem to think we do on purpose :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Travelling by bus is so working class.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement