Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus hi-jacked and crashed in Eyre Sq

Options
  • 30-10-2010 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭

Bus hi-jacked/stolen and crashed into railings beside AIB at the bottom of Eyre Square. I don't think anyone was injured. Gardai and BE staff came rushing to the scene. Some drunk guy pulled off the bus.

Crazy loud bang when it hit the railings. The side panels were ripped off the bus.

Comments

**** off.

Is this serious or a joke? Holy crap!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 583 ✭✭✭xp90

Ooops sorry about that got a bit carried away!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Serious!! Bus has been moved now.

Thank god nobody was hurt - a drunk fool driving a bus through an area with loads of pedestrians; the outcome could have been a lot worse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

I saw the bus going at a reasonable speed and knew something must be up

That's a bit mad - though I have to admit I've been tempted to do it as well. Sometimes the drivers leave the engine running and just step off the bus - I reckon that will come to an end now.

• Advertisement

I didn't see what happened in the run up to the crash. I heard a really loud bang, turned around and a bus was crashed into the railings on the edge of the footpath at AIB. Gardai and Bus Eireann staff came sprinting down to the scene within seconds. A drunk man was taken off the bus by the Gardai and a BE driver moved the bus. Some of the side panels fell completely off the bus as it was moved out away from the railings.
    There was a big enough crowd of onlookers.

Someone said that the front of the bus looked damaged as well but I didn't see the front of the bus..

Were there passengers on board?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

And will they be suing?

I don't think there were any passengers onboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

^_^

Was this a city bus or an intercity?

I'm always slightly nervous of this kind of thing happening when drivers leave the bus, with passengers inside, to run across the road to the shop/to get a coffee etc.

• Advertisement

Bus Eireann city bus

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Thank feck no one was hurt. There are usually lots of people around there. What a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Could have been worse, the drunk could have damaged the bank, the bill would have fallen on the tax payers..........:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

was it on time?

Said in that Galway News article that it crashed into a car. That would explain why the front of the bus was damaged as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

"Speed 4. The bus to mountbellew"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

KevR wrote: »
    Some drunk guy pulled off the bus.

There must have been a terrible mess.

JustMary wrote: »
    Pics?

I got a picture of the bus squashed up against the railings. It doesn't show the full extent because the panels only fell off the bus after it was moved away from the railings. Wasn't easy to get good pics because there were so many onlookers crowded around.

Will upload later..

• Advertisement

Not a great photo; it doesn't show the full extent of the damage to the bus or railing at all.

Click thumbnail for full size image
    th_DSC00010.jpg?t=1288469325

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭thefeatheredcat

very lucky nobody was hurt, (what about the car - any people in it?) especially if it was taken from the bus depot, always lots of people mulling around. Think it was lucky that the railings are there on the bend, who knows where it was going to be driven had it not been crashed - like up to spanish arch or something or through crowds.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Lucky no one was cleaned out, that corner is a prime jaywalking spot.

Heheh - kinda ironic to have an advertising for health care on the side of the bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

where exactly did this happen, say if I was standing at fibber mcgees, where would this have happened in relation to there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Just outside of the AIB that's to the right of the Great Southern.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Just outside of the AIB that's to the right of the Great Southern.

large hotel now called the Meyrick, previously called the Great Southern and even the Railway Station at one time.

From Fibbers, look roughly toward the entrance to the shopping centre, and then a little to the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

I was there as, when and after it happened. Scary stuff while waiting to pick up a mate :(

The guy who took the bus had been ejected off the train and was leaving the station when he boarded a city bus that had been left unattended and running. There weren't any passengers on board that I could see. He took off towards Eyre Square ending up rammed into the railings and a black Citreon Saxo. The police were there immediately as they had been parked in Eyre Square from what I could gather. The ambulance crew dealt with the man trying to calm him down while the guards organised the damaged car to be brought to the rear of the station before City Recovery came to collect the car and bring it away on the back of their truck.

Nobody injured thank God.

Pics of car on back of recovery truck - hope this isn't against forum rules, if so please remove. Apologies for the quality.

Picture 002.jpg

Picture 004.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Robbo wrote: »
    Lucky no one was cleaned out, that corner is a prime jaywalking spot.
    Not trying to be smart, but in the circumstances I don't there being an actual pedestrian crossing at the corner would have made a difference. If the alleged perp was drunk enough to steal a bus in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Where's Keanu Reeves when you need him!

Thanks be to jayis the fceker did't injure someone. Hope to god he gets locked up but knowing this country, his solicitor will just pleed that the accused was unusually drunk at the time and hopes to immegrate for work and get off with it.

Advertisement