If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE digital broadcasting - now on!

Options
  • 30-10-2010 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

Just a little FYI - although most of you may be aware of this already....

They say they have 90% nationwide coverage

As of yesterday RTE are now officially broadcasting their channels digitally.
    You get
    RTE One
    RTE Two
    TV3
    TG4
    RTE NEWS NOW - a new one this

Good news for all who have a TV with an MPEG 4 tuner built in.
    Plug an ariel into your TV and tune 'em in and have a looksee.

ATB
    Ash

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

It does look great - however is TV3 included? I am not getting TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭jamesd

I have it for the last few months but no TV3 as yet on mine - just a test signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Folks

You're correct, there would appear to be no TV3 just yet - checked on it out instore.

Guess the report I got the info from was a little less than accurate...

Sorry about that!

Thanks for pointing that out

atb
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭piaget

Yup, loads of posts on the terrestrial forum on the non-appearance of TV3.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

piaget wrote: »
    Yup, loads of posts on the terrestrial forum on the non-appearance of TV3.

Yep no TV3 but there is was a really boring HiDef test channel up last night RTE NL2, but my god the picture quality was stunning on my 26PFL3605 (pity the music background was complete drivel tho :p)

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

TV3 not on DTT yet due to legal reasons allegedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭andersat2

old info,
    TV3 is already on since wednesday.
    enjoy ..

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

Anybody know if this is going to come into NI? If it did I'd be able to scrap me Sky sub...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭micks_address

tv3 is broadcasting on digital now.. since wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

Hmm yeah, check 2 posts above yours.

• Advertisement

Anybody know if this is going to come into NI? If it did I'd be able to scrap me Sky sub...

Apologies for the delay getting back to you - At the moment I really don't think there are any plans for RTE or TV3 to broadcast into NI - however I do undnderstand there is an outline saorsat plan to make RTE available free to air across Ireland - however I'm no expert in this (or possibly any :o_ field) .

Have a look here http://www.techtir.ie/ for further info..

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

hi john, ashleey, i got an lg 32 3000 from you on 1/4/09, it has a mpeg2 tuner, the guys over on the terrestial forum claim i am entitled to a refund or upgrade, you view on this please, btw i am not going to start a public arguement here, thanking you.

flutered wrote: »
    hi john, ashleey, i got an lg 32 3000 from you on 1/4/09, it has a mpeg2 tuner, the guys over on the terrestial forum claim i am entitled to a refund or upgrade, you view on this please, btw i am not going to start a public arguement here, thanking you.

Flutered,

many thanks for your post - I'm not sure where this information comes from or why you are entitled to a refund - if your TV is faulty we will happily look after it for you.

Thanks again and keep me posted,

John Mc & Crew

I don't think it will be possible due to broadcasting rights etc. it is similar to when certain sports games are not shown on rte with sky uk.

If you are near border though, it should be possible to receive with a large aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭lar77

I got a 32PF9830 in the Philips shop years ago (still going strong but then it would want to be for the almost 3K it cost me :D , how times have changed). I'm trying to find out if it has an Mpeg4 tuner for these new digital broadcasts or is this a much later technology? Do any of you guys know off hand if it does? I don't want to rip a hole in the wall to add an analog cable if it can't! I could use the digital box else where.

Thanks ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Flutered,

many thanks for your post - I'm not sure where this information comes from or why you are entitled to a refund - if your TV is faulty we will happily look after it for you.

Thanks again and keep me posted,

John Mc & Crew

I think he may be talking about this:

http://www.techtir.ie/blog/cinocat4/no-dtt-get-money-back

bucks73 wrote: »

thank you bucks, that explains things in a nutshell.

Hi Lar

Your 32PF9830 pre-dates this tuner technology by a couple of years.
    I doubt MPEG4 Digital broadcasting was even a twinkle in RTE's eye back then!

hope this helps
    Ash

Hi Lar

Your 32PF9830 pre-dates this tuner technology by a couple of years.
    I doubt MPEG4 Digital broadcasting was even a twinkle in RTE's eye back then!

hope this helps
    Ash

Thought so .... thanks. I need another digital box now :D

can I suggest the 32PFL8605H TV????
    Has MPEG4 tuner onboard and will save all that mess with external box and cables + remotes etc..
    That other one is getting on a bit and it will makea nice visual match with your 52PFL8605H (eventually...):D:D:D

Just a thought!

ash

• Advertisement

can I suggest the 32PFL8605H TV????
    Has MPEG4 tuner onboard and will save all that mess with external box and cables + remotes etc..
    That other one is getting on a bit and it will makea nice visual match with your 52PFL8605H (eventually...):D:D:D

Just a thought!

ash

Different rooms, so they won't clash (eventually...) :D Although I do need a small TV (more in the under 30" size bracket) for the kitchen (first need to check if the TV point in there works) thats MPEG 4 and wall mount-able ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭emo72

lads im confused. i got a 50panny g10 from yourselves last december. will this pick up the new signal?

yours truly (in the stoneage)
    emo72

emo72 wrote: »
    lads im confused. i got a 50panny g10 from yourselves last december. will this pick up the new signal?

yours truly (in the stoneage)
    emo72

Emo,

apologies for the delay getting back to you.

The G10 is not MPEG4 ready and you will need a Set Top Box to receive MPEG4.

Keep us posted if we can assist..

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

any chance of an answer to my query guys.

flutered wrote: »
    any chance of an answer to my query guys.

Flutered,

apologies for the delay getting back to you - we have no obligation to refund TV's which have been purchased which do not feature MPEG4.

I have looked at the post forwarded by Bucks and I can find no basis for the claim - however whilst I do understand that the OP is an authority in matters relating to MPEG4 the OP is incorrect if he is stating that a TV sold without MPEG4 must be refunded (and I actually don't think this is his claim).

Apologies that I cannot be more helpful - but feel free to email PM or call me if I can asisst or if you would like to discuss this issue further,

Apologies again for the delay getting back to you,

ATB,

John Mc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Emo,

apologies for the delay getting back to you.

The G10 is not MPEG4 ready and you will need a Set Top Box to receive MPEG4.

Keep us posted if we can assist..

ATB,

John Mc & Crew
    Actually, if I may add a little to this discussion - the Irish G10 is MPEG4 compatibile, where as the UK G10 (which RicherSounds were selling) has the FreeSat tuner. However, due to some kind of complicated reason, Panasonic kind of had a one for one market, and the other for the other market type of system, but the UK model with it's terrestrial tuner could actually decode the MPEG4 signal with some tweaking.
    Officially Panasonic say it can't, and if you try to do a channel scan it won't find them, but the guys over on the Terrestrial forum have a way of copying all the digital channel tuning info onto an SD card and loading it onto the UK model TV, which means it will display the channels.
    Apologies to John and co if this is something that they will not support under their warranty, as it's an unofficial tweak, but in case you want to look at the thread over there for info on how to do it, might be of interest.

Mods can delete this post if this is something that might be deemed inappropriate.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment:

Tea1000,

Given the topic of this thread and the general thrust of the discussion I'm happy not to intervene. John can respond on the issue of what's supported etc.

I would suggest that people who are looking for information on this issue to check in on the Terrestial TV forum here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=56 for in-depth discussion of the issue.

Thanks,

Ritz.

As a regular on the terrestrial forum and former mod there,I'd just like to say one or two things.
    The return it to the store if it does not work with saorview will become more prevalent next year as the sale of goods act's definition of "fit for purpose" comes into play.

If the tv was unable to receive irish tv without a set top box after analogue shut down,then you run the risk of someone going to the small claims court,citing previous court determinations on what defines fit for purpose.
    Fit for purpose in the case of tv's can be 2 years.
    Thats something richer sounds and the phillips shop will want to look into.
    It costs very little to go to the small claims court.

I understand that the minister may at some point make it a legal requirement for stores in the Republic to sell only tv's that are mpeg 4.
    He does have the authority to do so.

Someone mentioned RTE in NI..
    Current thinking on this is that RTE one,RTE TWO and TG4 but not TV3 will be given low power space on the freeview dtt system in NI
    Tg4 is already transmitted to the Belfast area from a local transmitter in analogue.
    Overspill dtt from the republic covers a lot of NI for people with the right 2nd aerial pointing to the relevant ROI transmitter.

Regarding saorsat,that will be viewable throughout NI when it goes live next spring.It will require a hybrid dish with 2 lnb's [ka and ku band] so as to receive freesat and saorsat.
    That solution will deliver all the irish channels now on saorview to NI to those with a tv that has a sat tuner or an stb.

As a regular on the terrestrial forum and former mod there,I'd just like to say one or two things.
    The return it to the store if it does not work with saorview will become more prevalent next year as the sale of goods act's definition of "fit for purpose" comes into play.

If the tv was unable to receive irish tv without a set top box after analogue shut down,then you run the risk of someone going to the small claims court,citing previous court determinations on what defines fit for purpose.
    Fit for purpose in the case of tv's can be 2 years.
    Thats something richer sounds and the phillips shop will want to look into.
    It costs very little to go to the small claims court.

I understand that the minister may at some point make it a legal requirement for stores in the Republic to sell only tv's that are mpeg 4.

Someone mentioned RTE in NI..
    Current thinking on this is that RTE one,RTE TWO and TG4 but not TV3 will be given low power space on the freeview dtt system in NI
    Tg4 is already transmitted to the Belfast area from a local transmitter in analogue.
    Overspill dtt from the republic covers a lot of NI for people with the right 2nd aerial pointing to the relevant ROI transmitter.

Regarding saorsat,that will be viewable throughout NI when it goes live next spring.It will require a hybrid dish with 2 lnb's [ka and ku band] so as to receive freesat and saorsat.
    That solution will deliver all the irish channels now on saorview to NI to those with a tv that has a sat tuner or an stb.

What will be using ka band? Freesat uses ku band from astra2, so will saorsat on ka band be from a microwave link.

• Advertisement

Black Briar - many thanks for the informative post - I am working on a 'sticky' on this issue which I will ask the mods to pop up over the next couple of weeks - on the issue as above - the specific TV is fit for the purpose for which it was sold - it does not have, nor was it ever claimed to have an MPEG4 tuner on board - it's an UHF/VHF analogue TV with a Freeview SD MPEG2 tuner on board.

As many of you will be aware my Colleagues are AV enthuasists and are reasonably upto date on technical issues and for years we have frequently alerted Customers on Boards and of course instore to the MPEG4 issue - even when there was scant firm information available to either the retailer or the Consumer. We do not claim a product has features which it does not have - specifically with regard to this particular TV we posted on boards as early as April 2009 that this TV was not MPEG 4 compliant http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59728718&postcount=6

Black Briar - I hope that you dont mind me selecting your quotes - I'm trying to keep the context of your post & splitting it into bite sized chunks so I can make my response clear!

On the possibility of a ministerial order - I think that this would be a positive move - however such a move cannot be retrospective and would of course could only apply to the ROI not to Northern Ireland or the UK Mainland. However I cannot see the Minister banning personal imports of non compliant TV's and thus this issue is set to continue as most UK retailers have no knowledge of new formats available in the Republic- the other problem (besides the general lack of firm information that prevailed previously) regarding the adoption of MPEG4 in Ireland is that there was actually a shortage of TV's available that supported MPEG4 - this is now resolved and most TV's now support MPEG4 (but not all) so we would still caution Consumers to be careful when purchasing - specificially with regard to UK sourced Panasonics even if their specification lists MPEG4 we will not guarantee that they will support MPEG4 and we have been advising this for some considerable time.

This will be a great step forward - of course for everyong in the ROI but especially for our main body of Customers in NI - there is a huge demand for RTE & TV3 in Northern Ireland and assuming that the Saorsat footprint extends to NI (which I assume it will have to) I feel this will be a really positive move for many NI Consumers.

Again Black Briar et Al, thanks for the posts - in conclusion I understand the issue and thanks for your input - I feel Richer Sounds have been to the foremost on Boards in offering guidance & advice to Boardies on which TV's are MPEG4 capable - However I feel that the general discussion regarding MPEG4/Saorview/Saorsat should be on the terrestrial forum so it is accessible and relevant to the broader audience and not specific RicherSounds Customers.

As ever if I can assist in any way please do drop me a line and I'll do my best to assist,

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

This discussion has been closed.