Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the "British Isles"

• 30-10-2010 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

would anyone feel like myself that every time I here the exression the "British Isles" it makes me cringe, I like quite a "few" Irish people find this name a bit of a misnomer and an insult, The island is not part of Britian and hasnt been since the last iceage.
    Britian is an Island to the east of ireland and how can we be part of the british Islands, the British and Gaelic tribes were very distinct and appart from the ivasion of the british lot we are not british and will never be.
    Is it not time to change this name?? To reflect the reality of a situation.??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ya know what, this has never been discussed here before. Thankyou for bringing it to our attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Never heard of 'British Isles' before, must be somewhere in Britain? ;):D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

mike65 wrote: »
    Ya know what, this has never been discussed here before. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.
    Your so right. :pac:

Excuse me for a minute, I'm off to go bang me head on the desk again. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

I think the term agreed on is "these islands"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's only a name.. like how Monster Island is really a peninsula.

The Isle of Man lies in the Irish Sea but that doesn't mean that we have any claim over it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sharkey 10

dosent really bother me, its not about what were called but what we are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

It doesn't really bother me tbh. The British Isles are just a name for a geographical area comprised of six thousand islands and 2 States.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I imaging the good people of New Ireland in the South Pacific are having the same type of discussion about their moniker as we type...

Down with Irish Imperialism!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Geografically speaking , Ireland is considered part of the ' The British Isles ' . Why would it bother anybody ? It's not like people looking at the world atlas will go '' oh dear , I do think they have got that bit wrong there hmmm '' ?

OisinT wrote: »
    It doesn't really bother me tbh. The British Isles are just a name for a geographical area comprised of six thousand islands and 2 States.

What 2 states?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

How many times has this been done??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

the British and Gaelic tribes were very distinct
    No, they weren't. The earliest Celtic settlers of Britain and Ireland were the Pritani, which is where "Britain" comes from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sharkey 10

Really , wow that alot i guess a good portion are around scotland

Where did you get that figure?

gurramok wrote: »
    What 2 states?:confused:
    1) The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    2) Ireland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What about those poor Swiss who have to put up with being told they are part of Europe?

Sharkey 10 wrote: »
    Really , wow that alot i guess a good portion are around scotland

Where did you get that figure?
    One of those random things I remembered from school, but I double checked on Wikipedia for accuracy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

would anyone feel like myself that every time I here the exression the "British Isles" it makes me cringe, I like quite a "few" Irish people find this name a bit of a misnomer and an insult, The island is not part of Britian and hasnt been since the last iceage.
    Britian is an Island to the east of ireland and how can we be part of the british Islands, the British and Gaelic tribes were very distinct and appart from the ivasion of the british lot we are not british and will never be.
    Is it not time to change this name?? To reflect the reality of a situation.??

Don't you mean the 'North Atlantic Archipelago'?

1) The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    2) Ireland.

No its not. Ireland is not part of the British Isles, what gave you that idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

goose2005 wrote: »
    No, they weren't. The earliest Celtic settlers of Britain and Ireland were the Pritani, which is where "Britain" comes from.

Id have to dispute that they were the earlest settlers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Why is it that we can no longer think of the British Isles, without the word paedoph in front of them?

• Advertisement

No its not. Ireland is not part of the British Isles, what gave you that idea?
    Go back to school :p

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/1346048/British-Isles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

robinph wrote: »
    What about those poor Swiss who have to put up with being told they are part of Europe?

but they are!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Eh, I think it would as a bit of surprise to them to find that they're not part of Europe!!

And he quotes the Britannica. One could not make this up!:D

Personally I think they should be called by the old name: Pretanic Isles

But there are many that prefer Northwest European Archipelago and academic geographers often call them Anglo-Celtic Isles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

mike65 wrote: »
    Ya know what, this has never been discussed here before. Thankyou for bringing it to our attention.
    yea since i havent have to time to read every thred in this forum due to the finite life of the universe and due to the numbers of new people joining on a regulsr basis sometimes things can be repeatet for thoses of us relative newbies.

Yuo dont have to be involved if you don't want.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

It is a bit of a shame its called such alright. Even if it is a 'geographical' name it implies a British claim to this Island.

Many still bend over and take it though , for fear of someone thinking they were a Ra' head.

The British wouldn't like it if were called the Irish Isles or the West French Irelands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Seriously.

Can we all just stop replying to this thread now. I dont want to be still looking at this thing next weekend. Its been done to death, then resurrected and done again................53 times.

• Advertisement

And he quotes the Britannica. One could not make this up!:D
    Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc. is an American company that publishes the oldest English-language encyclopaedia still in print and it is internationally respected. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

yea since i havent have to time to read every thred in this forum due to the finitr life of the universe and due to the numbers of new people joining on a regulsr basis sometimes things can be repeatet for thoses of us relative newbies.

Yuo dont have to be involved if you don't want.:D

does get a bit boring when the same topics come up again and again ;)

welcome to AH :)

This is funny. Another who quotes a .co.uk domain to support his claims that this is the British Isles.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

It's a geographic term nowadays and not a political accurate description so i wont be losing to much sleep....

Einhard wrote: »
    Eh, I think it would as a bit of surprise to them to find that they're not part of Europe!!

Well that all depends on if you are talking geographically or politically doesn't it?

Which is where the OP's confusion occurs as they are getting a geographical term confused as a political one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

The island is not part of Britian and hasnt been since the last iceage.

I think you will find this Island was part of Britain until quite recently

• Advertisement

This is funny. Another who quotes a .co.uk domain to support his claims that this is the British Isles.!
    Wanting it to be not true will not make it not true

Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc. is an American company that publishes the oldest English-language encyclopaedia still in print and it is internationally respected. :rolleyes:

Its all in the name dude. Since when are we British?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Academic ( Anoracks ) Geographers live for these threads :D

Its all in the name dude. Since when are we British?:eek:

Nobody said you were.

• Advertisement

:o

Sigh. I think you mean part of the UK.

The previous poster was correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think the term agreed on is "these islands"

If you were anywhere else on the planet, you'd have to call them "those islands" and hope for the best.

Nobody said you were.
    The lady doth protest too much!

Nobody said you were.

They did. They said I live in the British Isles. I ain't British.

Whats wrong with saying I live in the Irish Isles. Shamed to be Irish?:eek:

And here is two helpful maps of Europe for people to play spot the difference with as well:

Europe

Europe

Then just call them the Pretanic Isles.

You can't just start renaming things because you feel like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

In before Rebelheart.:D

The last time ihe island was part of the Island of ireland was part of the island of Britian was during the last ice age.

Yep, they said you live in the British Isles, they did not say that you are therefore British.

When??

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement