Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does anyone know what the hell this broadband dish is?

Options
  • 30-10-2010 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Just moved into an apartment and the landlords are completely clueless. They told me I could get UPC in (to be fair, UPC also told me I could get service when i called them up) but it turns out the cable is only connected to a sky dish. On the back of the house though is this weird square dish. There's an ethernet cable running out of it into the house, and when i plug into it i get a standard 192.168.x.x ip address. My apartment is the only with this dish, and the landlords havent a notion of what it is! Has anyone seen something like this before?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sk1

hi, this is wireless internet access, the previous person must have installed it, there are different companies who offer wifi access like http://www.webworld.ie/wireless.php - it´s just one of many but, don´t know if there is a list of such providers on boards.ie, probably yes but i´m too lazy to search :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 trendykendy

great stuff, cheers buddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

could be digiweb or Irish Boadband??? thry provide wireless which uses a similar dish

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭knotknowbody

neacy69 wrote: »
    could be digiweb or Irish Boadband??? thry provide wireless which uses a similar dish

Not Irish Broadband they never used that particular kind of a dish to my knowledge, they only used alvarion gear for their external antenna's, could be digiweb but can't be sure as the pic is a litttle unclear

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Not Metro, as that uses a coax cable. But could be some other FWALA Digiweb, but not a housing I recognise and the other Digiweb FWALA I've used needs a separate router with specific settings to work at all.

There are dozens of possibilities.

If it uses a licence or Registered 5.8Ghz, the area will on Comreg's maps and you can use that to find supplier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 codplayer

were are you located?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Just because the Coax cable leads to a sky dish doesn't mean tht you can't get UPC.
    It probably just means that UPC has never been used here.
    Have UPC told you that it's not available now?

Advertisement