Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC and Xbox live.

• 30-10-2010 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

This is aimed at the Xbox users on this forum; I have my xbox hooked up to my EPC2425 modem using a standard cat5 enternet cable, I'm on the 30mb UPC package and I still can't keep a consistent 4 bar connection. Even when my friend hosts ( he has BT infinity 8 or 9 meg upload). I can pull host but my connection is all over the place, people dropping from 3-4 bar all game long. Has anyone experienced this? ( My ping is pretty low ranging from 11-14 off peak times and about 14-22 peak times).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

This is aimed at the Xbox users on this forum; I have my xbox hooked up to my EPC2425 modem using a standard cat5 enternet cable, I'm on the 30mb UPC package and I still can't keep a consistent 4 bar connection. Even when my friend hosts ( he has BT infinity 8 or 9 meg upload). I can pull host but my connection is all over the place, people dropping from 3-4 bar all game long. Has anyone experienced this? ( My ping is pretty low ranging from 11-14 off peak times and about 14-22 peak times).

If that's the Cisco modem, I recently got UPC installed with it. Found it shocking, 15mb seemed worse than my 3mb connection, Packets being lost, slow ping etc.

Then I switched off everything in the security menu, firewall etc and It seemed to solve the problem, 15mb seemed more like 15mb pages loaded quick and pings were good and live works perfectly on it too. Worth a try maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ConorHughes

I've got everything turned off, the packet loss was only for pingtest.net it dosen't do anything to your connection. My nat type is Open. I've got the right ports forwarded for Xbox. Funny enough my mate has the 8mb UPC and he can keep a 4 bar where as I can't with my 30mb.

Ricky91t wrote: »
    If that's the Cisco modem, I recently got UPC installed with it. Found it shocking, 15mb seemed worse than my 3mb connection, Packets being lost, slow ping etc.

Then I switched off everything in the security menu, firewall etc and It seemed to solve the problem, 15mb seemed more like 15mb pages loaded quick and pings were good and live works perfectly on it too. Worth a try maybe?
    The packet loss was caused by "IP Flood Detection" in Firewall -> Options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I've got everything turned off, the packet loss was only for pingtest.net it dosen't do anything to your connection. My nat type is Open. I've got the right ports forwarded for Xbox. Funny enough my mate has the 8mb UPC and he can keep a 4 bar where as I can't with my 30mb.

No, Even pinging website was loosing packets, Didn't even use pingtest.net, It's very touch and go sometimes.

Blueface VOIP with packet loss wasn't a good thing.

I gave my Xbox a Static IP, so I could forward the ports and someone told me to make my Xbox DMZ host- it has helped alot. My connection is so much more stable when I'm playing Cod online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭kk887

I gave my Xbox a Static IP, so I could forward the ports and someone told me to make my Xbox DMZ host- it has helped alot. My connection is so much more stable when I'm playing Cod online.
    can u show me how to do it?

i am playing cod as well and i am using the upc 15mb but it seems like i got better connection when i still with the eircom 3 mb...

kk887 wrote: »
    can u show me how to do it?

i am playing cod as well and i am using the upc 15mb but it seems like i got better connection when i still with the eircom 3 mb...

http://portforward.com/networking/staticip-xbox360.htm

Forwardingports.png

^ This is after you have given your xbox a Static IP so its gonna be a different IP to mine, and then when all this is done just go onto your router settings; find the DMZ host and enter the ip that you made for your Xbox. This isn't the best advice but meh I tried :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

My stickied tutorial on how to foward ports/ enter I.p's into the DMZ is over on the xbox forum. Check it out

Advertisement