Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post here if you've had toll problems at the Limerick Tunnel.

Options
  • 30-10-2010 6:08pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭

I turned up at the Clonmacken Toll plaza today and it didn't recognise my tag (express lane and then the normal lane). This tag has been around the country without problems and had sufficient credit.

Even worse was the fact that the note slots weren't working despite being clearly labelled as the places to insert €5/€10 euro notes.

A Good Samaritan (from Kerry - Thank You) gave me a fistful of 10c/20c/50c coins but even they didn't make a difference.

I had to use their help service to have the barrier raised and I figure that the toll company made a wee profit.

I'd be interested to hear if any other folk have had problems with this toll plaza/organisation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

I have'nt used that one but have used all the others regularly. The express lanes do not allow me through if I approach too quickly. You must get the speed below 60kph and then no problems, otherwise you get kicked.

The normal lanes have the reader at just above eye level and i often have to get the car bonnet just under the barrier for it to read. I have my tag in the correct position above my mirror.

If you do get kicked from express lane, I aim for the booths and hand over my tag to person if it fails to read here also. They manually input the tag number if it fails to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Damien360 wrote: »
    The express lanes do not allow me through if I approach too quickly. You must get the speed below 60kph and then no problems, otherwise you get kicked.

I almost found that out the hard way

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Damien360 wrote: »
    I have'nt used that one but have used all the others regularly. The express lanes do not allow me through if I approach too quickly. You must get the speed below 60kph and then no problems, otherwise you get kicked.

The normal lanes have the reader at just above eye level and i often have to get the car bonnet just under the barrier for it to read. I have my tag in the correct position above my mirror.

If you do get kicked from express lane, I aim for the booths and hand over my tag to person if it fails to read here also. They manually input the tag number if it fails to read.

Thanks for that - it seems this location might be "more picky".

I was going quite slowly through the express lane and when that didn't work I moved very slowly through the ordinary lane. Unfortunately the booth was unstaffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Phone the NRA and tell them about the issue. They'll hassle Direct Route for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I had them take down my tag number manually at Clonmacken once, never got charged for it. Express lanes have NEVER worked for me but this time the main one didn't either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The Plazas totally piss me off. They rarely work in the Express lanes. I have to hold the tag out the window and put it back into the holder when I pass through.

I have spoken to Direct Route many times who were trying different things but nothing worked.

They finally blamed my car for having a heated windscreen but the fact I have held the tag out the window and nothinghappened is weird.

Easytrip told me

"If your tag is not read DO NOT PAY. Get them to let you through, they record your reg and NOT PAYING and their systems later recognise you as being an account holder with Easytrip(and others) and charge them accordinly who charge you"

I tried to pass through 2 weeks ago and it wouldnt raise at all for me. I said to the guy "its not my problem it wont raise" to which he replied "its not my problem either". I put up the window and folded my arms until he let me through.

They shouldnt promote a service they cannot offer and YES its normally always the clonmacken section.

I used the M8 Friday and M7 yesterday and passed through at around 70-80kph and not a bother to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Just a quick question lads, what happens if you go up to a toll booth without money?? I arrived at the tunnel yesterday only to realise I had left my wallet at home! Luckily one of my mates was with me so he paid! Can they take your reg and send you a bill or how would it work??

I was checking this out for you for the past while alan but it appears they all simply say

"its an offence" but i think its unlikely they are going to put up information that might encourage people to arrive and "sur' pay you later boss".

Lads thanks for the advice. I emailed DirectRoute and if nothing happens I'll take out the quill and write a letter.

I had problems in the beginning when tags first came in, especially at the port tunnel and the east link.

I got caught one day when it refused to read the tag or recognize the plates. Naturally I had no change with me. The girl asked me to turn back as I couldn't pay to pass through.

I looked at her in amazement as both are one way systems :eek: after explaining this she still refused to raise the barrier so I asked her did she want me to magic the money out of my arse.

I got through in the end.

• Advertisement

parsi wrote: »
    Lads thanks for the advice. I emailed DirectRoute and if nothing happens I'll take out the quill and write a letter.

Try Tom Technical Manager for the Limerick Tunnel

t.oflynn@the-intolligent.ie
    Tom,

Maintenance Department,

Limerick Toll Plaza,

00353 87 1709079

t.oflynn@the-intolligent.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Alfagtamini

the last few days my tag wont work in the express lane no matter how slow i go. ( at clonmacken toll bridge). but it works when you go to the booth .:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

My tag at the Limerick tunnel almost never works. The express lane never ever works, slow or fast. The normal lanes are hit or miss. I've had to pay a couple of times. But from now on, I won't pay. Once the operator took my tag and ran back to try and get it to scan. No joy.

Useless set up there. The toll on the M7 near Portlaoise however is awesome, the express lane is the quickest there is.

FYI - I have a windscreen with that blue tint and so the tag needs to go in the black dotted area near the top of the window. Could it be cars with non-standard glass that have problems in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Berty wrote: »
    They finally blamed my car for having a heated windscreen

The express lanes on the M4/M6 read my tag through a heated windscreen twice a day every day, no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

I find the express lane hit and miss (tolltag.ie) never failed to get through any of the other automatic tag lanes.

The express lanes on the M4/M6 read my tag through a heated windscreen twice a day every day, no problems.

I agree. I use the M8 and M50 every week and they always work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

does the direct in limerick tunnel not use a different company and system than cork or dublin,as i have eflow for dublin,it doesnt work in limerick
    p.s,checked,so new thing is tolltag.ie

was looking at tolltag.ie,if the tag doesnt work in limerick,maybe get a better system would b good as they charge enough too get tag and all ,,pay as you go is 30 euros and pay as you go + is 40 euros with a min of 20 top up and min on account is 12 euros,limerick should work good as new

AlanD wrote: »
    My tag at the Limerick tunnel almost never works. The express lane never ever works, slow or fast. The normal lanes are hit or miss. I've had to pay a couple of times. But from now on, I won't pay. Once the operator took my tag and ran back to try and get it to scan. No joy.

Useless set up there. The toll on the M7 near Portlaoise however is awesome, the express lane is the quickest there is.

FYI - I have a windscreen with that blue tint and so the tag needs to go in the black dotted area near the top of the window. Could it be cars with non-standard glass that have problems in Limerick.

My tag is on the dotted area alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Lucky for me I never had any problems, but saying that I do not use Clonmacken Toll plaza, I used express lanes and the Tool booth in the early days with no issues.
    I do not see the point to use Clonmacken Toll plaza when it is still quicker for me to go to the city centre cross the bridge to that side of the city and it is usually off peak hours I travel there. For Shannon/West Clare/Ireland direction is the only time I use the Tunnel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

I've only been using the tunnel since last week, no problems I dont use the tag just throw my money in. This morning though as I approached I there was alot of traffic at the 2 left ones so I went for the far right lane. However the barrier was up and the light was green, I stopped and put down my window to throw in my coins but as the light was green and the thing said Paid so I just went through. I called my husband and he said that lane is for tags only and I shouldnt have gone through. I just didnt know what to do. I kind of panicked.

Will I get a fine or something in the post? Can anyone tell me why the barrier was up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Bally8 wrote: »
    I've only been using the tunnel since last week, no problems I dont use the tag just throw my money in. This morning though as I approached I there was alot of traffic at the 2 left ones so I went for the far right lane. However the barrier was up and the light was green, I stopped and put down my window to throw in my coins but as the light was green and the thing said Paid so I just went through. I called my husband and he said that lane is for tags only and I shouldnt have gone through. I just didnt know what to do. I kind of panicked.

Will I get a fine or something in the post? Can anyone tell me why the barrier was up?

You wouldn't have been able to get into the tag only lane, you were in a car/coin only one, you'll be grand, their **** up.

Bally8 wrote: »

If there was a coin box then its not TAG exclusive. Its only the far right lane where you dont stop which is Tag exclusive. Remember to read the signs in advance and then look above each lane and you will see what lane is for what on that given day.

One day there might be a person taking money and the next day it could be basket only.

I was approaching the M7 toll the other day in the express lane and saw the barrier was missing. I took the tag off the windscreen so I wouldnt be charged, drove through and put it back on the window.

Am I stealing? Yes, do I care? Not when it comes to Toll Plazas.

My October statement arrived yesterday. Tolls & Parking for October €57.60 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Thanks guys. I went through it again yesterday with no issues it must have been just a fault with the barrier the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

My main problem with the Limerick Tunnel is that we're injecting 100,000 a day into it (source limerick post) and they are wasting money on staff who SIT in the toll booth at clonmaken and tell you to put money into the bucket!

I only had a €20 on me one fine day last week going to the toll plaza. Man said use bucket, I asked does bucket take change. Man said no. I pointed out that all i have is a €20 and would therefore be stuck with a heap of change. #9 €2 coins and a 20c coin. Man said there was nothing he could do after arguing for 5 minutes I eventually gave in as I was running late. But it's a joke that we're bailing them out and they're hiring staff to do nothing!

Just to add insult to injury I got #18 €1 coins and #2 10c back in change. Next time I use the tunnel i will be giving him all coppers as I know the bucket doesn't accept them and see what happens.

Next time I use the tunnel i will be giving him all coppers as I know the bucket doesn't accept them and see what happens.
    Me and my mates used to jam the coin slot on Dublin buses with coppers so any of us coming behind used to get on for free:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

My tag always works going towards Shannon but not in the other direction. Tag has no issue else where...

My tag always works going towards Shannon but not in the other direction. Tag has no issue else where...

you could say something if you where in different country,uk or n,ireland ,they should all use same system for tagging for all of ireland,setup in this country is a joke,.one system in dublin, different one in limerick,not sure about cork,i know different company's manage each tool road but makes more common sense they all use same system

Advertisement