Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the truth about text messaging

Options
  • 30-10-2010 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭

something that came to mind in a thread i posted on and a fact you might like to know

please share your thoughts

it costs the network ,any network to be honest next to nothing if nothing at all

Your phone actually sends out heartbeats to the tower it's connected to every few seconds, and SMS text messages piggy back on the heartbeat packet, which is why they are limited to 150odd characters. The impact on networks caused by SMS is not just negligible, it's SO negligible that it's almost no overhead whatsoever on the carrier :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

DID YOU KNOW THAT:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

so any network to charge for text should be shot at this stage in a bundle or out of bundle :mad::mad::mad:

now thats something for you all to think about ..........

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Denzil2222

Does it cost them nothing to send a text to an internationl number too? Its strange that texting an irish number costs 9cent but texting an international number costs 25cent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

it works on the same basis afaik:mad: price increase is known as a VAS value added service

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

No phone call of any kind actually "costs" anything.
    The cost is in building and maintaining the networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

+1

The actual message may have cost nothing, but they still have the costs associated with sending the message, such as setting up the network, keeping it functional etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Last time I checked each network was giving away hundreds of free text messages, happy?

• Advertisement

this is not true
    this is how it works think about it
    naturally it costs a company/network to set up and maintain this is why there is billpay and payg rates standard
    it cost nothing with every network to call each other IE 3 to 3 meteor to meteor you know what im saying CORRECT.
    NEXT
    to call outside networks there is always a charge on nearly all tariffs CORRECT

why,and how?

networks charge each other 3 or 4 c per call to use there towers
    this is hidden in all networks as they all depend on each other to function or others to use them for example JUST MOBILE ON VODA AND TESCO ON 02...

hence no charge to the network and BINGO the networks all gain.......AND Make money and come up with these charges

JustinOval wrote: »
    Last time I checked each network was giving away hundreds of free text messages, happy?

yes thats true but what about others that pay on every newtork outside tarriff
    or when you top up by a certain amount and dont get full benefits of the monthly top up ????????????????????????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Denzil2222

One thing for sure is there has always been a cartel going on between the networks in this country.

Ever here of capitalism Jimmy my boy? The networks are there to make money, not to provide a service for free

I'm sure if they felt they would make most money by offering unlimited free texts then one of them would have done that by now, but obviously they feel they make most money by charging for texts or selling them in bundles

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

It's a service it's perfectly reasonable for them to charge for it. Loads of services don't cost the person anything if you take it literally but they're not free.

• Advertisement

Denzil2222 wrote: »
    One thing for sure is there has always been a cartel going on between the networks in this country.
    It might be an oligopoly but doubt its an actual cartel per se

Ever here of capitalism Jimmy my boy? The networks are there to make money, not to provide a service for free

I'm sure if they felt they would make most money by offering unlimited free texts then one of them would have done that by now, but obviously they feel they make most money by charging for texts or selling them in bundles

yeah did this is the point of this and i guarantee you that not alot of people know either so just watch this one grow my boy LOL

Denzil2222 wrote: »

that was something i had in mind as there must be in order to execute the above

jimmynokia wrote: »
    yeah did this is the point of this and i guarantee you that not alot of people know either so just watch this one grow my boy LOL
    What do you mean by grow Jimmy? It isn't a great shock that the actual cost to a mobile operator of a call or text message is little or nothing.

What do you think is going to happen now Jimmy?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

So let me get this straight............. companies are providing a service...... and charging the customer for this service..... in order to make a profit?

I'm shocked and appauled! :eek:

What do you mean by grow Jimmy? It isn't a great shock that the actual cost to a mobile operator of a call or text message is little or nothing.

What do you think is going to happen now Jimmy?

no not to the operator to the user cantgetnosleep

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Did you know that buses charge for each journey, even though they are ALREADY driving the route ANYWAY so each passenger costs them effectively nothing!!!

Also, 90 per cent of food ordered is already made when you order it. It's just sitting there!! It actually costs them nothing extra just to hand it to you.

What a rip off. Should be free.

(Opening Post is idiotic.)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Meet Jimmy, Head of doing things Differently!:)

3DataModem wrote: »
    Did you know that buses charge for each journey, even though they are ALREADY driving the route ANYWAY so each passenger costs them effectively nothing!!!

Also, 90 per cent of food ordered is already made when you order it. It's just sitting there!! It actually costs them nothing extra just to hand it to you.

What a rip off. Should be free.

(Opening Post is idiotic.)

your a bigger idiot for replying with a stupid answer like that

its just a little fact

so if you like we can start a little fact thread for you

Meet Jimmy, Head of doing things Differently!:)

explain :)

• Advertisement

no not to the operator to the user cantgetnosleep
    Do you mean prices might increase Jimmy?

If so, the conditions of the market at present (4 main networks all with relatively good coverage, and 4 MVNOs, mean that one operator will just lower the cost)

Or could they decrease? As in become free? This will have to happen if one of the big networks does it, as the rest will need to follow suit to remain competitive, or at least improve bundle deals

I don't know the conditions about MVNOs, but I can guarantee you that Tesco mobile are not part of any tacit agreement or cartel, it is not the way they work in any sector they operate in

Letting people have free texts for nothing in return would be mental!

However, i actually don't pay fo r my texts. I give Meteor €20 a month and they let me send as many as i want!

So i can text for the entire month, and still be in ,€20 credit with the company. Credit i can use for other things like web browsing and making calls.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Letting people have free texts for nothing in return would be mental!

However, i actually don't pay fo r my texts. I give Meteor €20 a month and they let me send as many as i want!

So i can text for the entire month, and still be in ,€20 credit with the company. Credit i can use for other things like web browsing and making calls.
    Of course, but considering they cost the network nothing they should be free no?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Indeed, it does once you terminate a call or SMS on another network you need to pay that operator termination charges.

In regards to SMS, the operator buys the hardware, i.e. SMSC and B and it also needs to provide transmission of the SMS through the network. Each SMSC is licensed by the provider, to have a maximum capacity of X amount of SMS per hour/day/week etc they operator needs to pay this fee (but due to the revenue generated by SMS this is pretty small). There are costs just because you dont see them doesnt mean SMS should be free.

Of course, but considering they cost the network nothing they should be free no?

They are free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

It might be an oligopoly but doubt its an actual cartel per se

Confuseopoly might be a better term

Wayy too confusing to compare who and when you call people in an average month and compare with every operators bundles.. generally the best thing to do is ask a teenager what's the best plan..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

The proper comparison would be to compare the cost of calls and texts in a similar sized country like Denmark, and a larger country like the UK and Germany. Where would we stand in relation to all of those countries ?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

1. Mobile operators first had to build a network for you to be able to actually sends texts. That the networks are there now doesn't mean that they cost nothing, operators are still paying off loans they used to fund the buildout, plus they have fixed monthly cost like, eh, the staff that maintains that network.

2. The signaling channel that is used to send an SMS is a limited resource. It was built to carry just signaling messages ("phone number A is calling phone number B, please set up a voice channel"). To quote Wikipedia:
    The key idea for SMS was to use this telephony-optimized system, and to transport messages on the signaling paths needed to control the telephony traffic during time periods when no signaling traffic existed. In this way, unused resources in the system could be used to transport messages at minimal cost. However, it was necessary to limit the length of the messages to 128 bytes (later improved to 140 bytes, or 160 seven-bit characters) so that the messages could fit into the existing signaling formats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I'm with jimmynokia to the extent that on prepay it is costing them very little on a per message basis to send a message but with my tariff on o2, I only get 150 texts as part of my bundle. I personally think that while they are out to make a profit, which is understandable, the amount they charge for out of bundle texts is twice what it should be.
    explain :)

EMobile, Eircom's new network's promotional effect. look for the ads on TV :)

• Advertisement

I'm with jimmynokia to the extent that on prepay it is costing them very little on a per message basis to send a message but with my tariff on o2, I only get 150 texts as part of my bundle. I personally think that while they are out to make a profit, which is understandable, the amount they charge for out of bundle texts is twice what it should be.

EMobile, Eircom's new network's promotional effect. look for the ads on TV :)

ive seen the ads i know one of them from the ad LOL STILL DONT EXPLAIN the comment :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Advertisement