Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the truth about text messaging

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

from what i heard it costs like 1/3 of a cent to send one, and at 10 cent a txt thats something like 6000% increase. and then they want to tax us?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

EMobile, Eircom's new network's promotional effect. look for the ads on TV :)

My girlfriend works for one of the Mobile Operators and told me about eMobile ages ago.

It makes no sense to me because............ doesn't Eircom own and run Meteor?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

MrStuffins wrote: »

It makes no sense to me because............ doesn't Eircom own and run Meteor?

It makes sense if there going to sell Meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,059 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

jimmynokia wrote: »
    something that came to mind in a thread i posted on and a fact you might like to know

please share your thoughts

it costs the network ,any network to be honest next to nothing if nothing at all

Your phone actually sends out heartbeats to the tower it's connected to every few seconds, and SMS text messages piggy back on the heartbeat packet, which is why they are limited to 150odd characters. The impact on networks caused by SMS is not just negligible, it's SO negligible that it's almost no overhead whatsoever on the carrier :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

DID YOU KNOW THAT:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

so any network to charge for text should be shot at this stage in a bundle or out of bundle :mad::mad::mad:

now thats something for you all to think about ..........

What kind business model would allow free texts?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,614 ✭✭✭✭kippy

What kind business model would allow free texts?

Google kinda have a business model that provides for a tonne of "free" services. As do many "business' on the interweb.

(not agreeing with the topic per se)

• Advertisement

It makes sense if there going to sell Meteor.

Ah!

And this is the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Ah!

And this is the case?

I dunno why would you sign an MVNO agreement with yourself and then start competing with yourself.
    It's the only reason I can think of.

I dunno why would you sign an MVNO agreement with yourself and then start competing with yourself.
    It's the only reason I can think of.

Exactly! Makes no sense to me.

Also, i just read that Meteor has 20% of the market with over 1m customers.

But....... there's less than 4.5 million people in the country............ i'm confused!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Exactly! Makes no sense to me.

Also, i just read that Meteor has 20% of the market with over 1m customers.

But....... there's less than 4.5 million people in the country............ i'm confused!
    Some people have a work and a personal phone, or a couple of personal phones, mobile penetration rates are over 100% in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

i may be wrong, but I'm fairly certain that up until about 13 years ago text messages were free because they cost nothing to the network, back in the days of when Eircell were the only network, they were rarely used by customers, but once they started to grow in popularity Eircell decided to start charging for them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yes they were but pretty sharpish people start using a whole load of them so they weren't free for long :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭globemaster1986

emobile was launched because the Meteor brand is mainly used by the teenybopper brigade and has not been successful at breaking into the billpay market and prepay market for more mature users.

To whoever mentioned google, they make a mint from advertising, mobile networks don't, very limited advertising opportunities available eg mobile internet homepage etc

Some people have a work and a personal phone, or a couple of personal phones, mobile penetration rates are over 100% in Ireland.

Wow!

To whoever mentioned google, they make a mint from advertising, mobile networks don't, very limited advertising opportunities available eg mobile internet homepage etc
    That was me.
    I mentioned google because they and other internet companies make money by providing free services (someone in a previous post had said no company could do this).

There is NO reason a mobile operator or otherwise couldnt change their business model to do likewise.
    Not saying they would though. My main point is that it is possible to provide free services and still make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

kippy wrote: »
    My main point is that it is possible to provide free services and still make money.

But it's not really true. In googles case they have two main types of client, the searcher (you and me) and the searched (the websites).

They only provide the first service for free. Websites who want to have prominent placing in search results have to pay for it, in some cases this cost can be significant.

Comparing that to mobile phones, they do provide some services "free": its free to receive calls and texts (in country), you get "free" web texts, your bundles include "free" minutes/texts/data.

In summary, ity's not possible to rely solely on "free" services and make money - at some point someone has to pay to keep the system going. Twitter is an example of a company that is still relying on "free" services, and it's burning cash at a huge rate. But it will shortly charge for some sort of usage (advertising, per tweet, whatever it may be).

Ryanair regularly offer "free" flights, but when you pay the taxes and charges the cost to you is anything but "free". However, strictly speaking, the flight is free.

Patrickof wrote: »
    But it's not really true. In googles case they have two main types of client, the searcher (you and me) and the searched (the websites).

They only provide the first service for free. Websites who want to have prominent placing in search results have to pay for it, in some cases this cost can be significant.

Comparing that to mobile phones, they do provide some services "free": its free to receive calls and texts (in country), you get "free" web texts, your bundles include "free" minutes/texts/data.

In summary, ity's not possible to rely solely on "free" services and make money - at some point someone has to pay to keep the system going. Twitter is an example of a company that is still relying on "free" services, and it's burning cash at a huge rate. But it will shortly charge for some sort of usage (advertising, per tweet, whatever it may be).

Ryanair regularly offer "free" flights, but when you pay the taxes and charges the cost to you is anything but "free". However, strictly speaking, the flight is free.

Of course someone has to pay - google to provide the service and the advertiser to advertise.
    However the service I get (google documents, picassa, gmail, etc) are all free to me, ie I do not have to pay for them, ie free.
    Google provide a free service to me by using a highly successful business model, the sucess of which is driven by the amount of people using their free services.

I dont see why you dont get my point.......

Someone said no business can provide a free service, I pointed out that many did and were extremely profittable as a result. I amn't advocating this is possible in the text messaging game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

kippy wrote: »
    That was me.
    I mentioned google because they and other internet companies make money by providing free services (someone in a previous post had said no company could do this).

There is NO reason a mobile operator or otherwise couldnt change their business model to do likewise.
    Not saying they would though. My main point is that it is possible to provide free services and still make money.

Do you mean by advertising within a text message? It is possible alright but i'd be off to another phone company in a flash if that caper started..

Armelodie wrote: »
    Do you mean by advertising within a text message? It is possible alright but i'd be off to another phone company in a flash if that caper started..

Read my last three/four posts on this thread.
    My comments were in response to someone who said no business can offer a service for nothing or something to that effect.
    My last post said I dont necessarily agree that this business model would would in the text messaging side of things.

• Advertisement
Advertisement